sn · 12 · 4972

Offline sn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth n.o.r.
Gidday All,

The tailgate lock on our 2013 GD wagon refuses to open,

I have tried the emergency release slot from the inside - with no luck,

Any hints or tips before I dust off the crowbar??
  • 2013 gd wagon, petrol /auto

Offline sn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth n.o.r.
well...I got the tailgate open   :whistler:

I enlarged the "emergency opening slot" in the tailgate's interior plastic trim so I could see inside

Then I had to bend back the edge of the tin panel so I could both see inside and get some access for a probe [skinny screwdriver]

I could see the pivot mechanism that flicks the latch open, but where the lower section of the pivot disappeared down into the assembly it seemed like something had come adrift - so a skinny screwdriver was used as a probe - and found a broken bit at the bottom of the recess, which I figured was the bit the pivot should push against.

Using the skinny screwdriver, I managed to locate the bit that the lever should be pushing against - gave it a nudge - and the tailgate opened.

I will upload pics after work tomorrow.

now the fun bit of finding a replacement - this latch assembly has been put together using olde schoole steel rivets, and is not going to be taken apart without wrecking it.

Offline sn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth n.o.r.
I emailed "partsouk" and they replied that the GD wagon lock assembly [part number  81230A6300] is not in stock, and there are none for the foreseeable future, and they do not back-order.

Went and did a heap of websurfing - the lock assemblies for many of the Hyundai and Kia vehicles of that span of years all have what look like to be the same item - but with slightly different part numbers.
The only visible difference that I can see is that our broken lock has a bit of foam rubber on one surface.

One of the sites even stated that the locks are all interchangeable, which makes sense - a manufacturer can save a few bob by using the same component for multiple models - so I have an identical looking [but missing the foam] new lock assembly on the way.

tailgate interior plastic panel - enlarged hole / will be cleaned up and sized to suit a rectangular rubber grommet.

photo taken when seated on the floor facing backwards - tailgate up, lock removed, you can see the lower edge of the access hole bent down to give better vision inside.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 12:58:52 by sn »

Offline sn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth n.o.r.

tailgate lock - you can see the tin panel has been bent down to give better access and view / can easily be pushed back into shape.

lock removed - the lower end of the pivot engages the mechanism at the base of the cavity - where something has broken

close up of the lock - the only visible difference between this one and all the other hyundai / kia ones is that ours has a slab of foam rubber attached [dust seal??]

« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 13:24:30 by sn »

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Great forensics, there, @sn

I look forward to hearing of a successful replacement. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline sn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth n.o.r.
I ground out the steel rivets and pulled the lock apart - this is what I found.

Note -  where I say "attached??" in the comments for the next photos, I cannot be certain that the plastic extension arm was pressed onto the lock assembly, [plastic sleeve over steel tab] or was actually moulded over the lock mechanism [hot plastic injection moulded to cover the steel tab] - either way - it looks like the part is too weak, eventually breaks away and jams up the lock.

The "emergency access" to the lock in this wagon has never been used since it was originally purchased, so it cannot have broken from manual use.

This is the broken bit that fell out of the innards when I pried the lock apart - a plastic extension arm which appears to have been attached(??) to the lock mechanism.
when you slide the "emergency access" across, it pushes against this plastic extension to trip the latch.

This is the opened-up lock, showing the exposed lower half of the "emergency access" pivot arm and the metal stem that the plastic extension was attached(??) to.

In this photo I have pressed the broken plastic extension arm back to where it should be.
However - I am not sure if I recovered all the broken bits - there might have been other remnants shaken out and lost when I finally removed the lock [late at night, in the driveway, in dodgy light, care factor at minimum level]

My guess - every time the lock is operated it possibly puts tension onto the inherently weak plastic extension arm - eventually flexing it enough over time to fatigue and fail - and in our case - fall into and jam up the mechanism

« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 12:41:04 by sn »

Offline sn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth n.o.r.
New $60 OEM hatchback lock ordered Thursday,

Theoretically   :rofl:  the Australia Post camel train should arrive in Perth Monday-ish  :whistler:

I will report back

Offline sn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth n.o.r.
5 mondays later.....

parcel finally arrived!

Unfortunately though - it doesn't fit  :rolleyes:

Going by the photos it is a close match - but with the lock on the bench in front of me I can see the mounting tabs on the sides are angled slightly different and have a touch less depth.

Tried bolting it up - but it will not seat fully home.

While waiting for this one to arrive I cut open a couple of different model hyundai tailgate locks [all of the same era as our wagons]
Internally they are identical, the housings all share the same basic dimensions - it is just the angle of the mounting tabs on the side, and the angle of the bend in the main body that differ.

Oh well - my experimenting has only cost me a little time - and around $30 in buying locks - so no great loss!

Off to hyundai on Monday for a genuine lock!

A Perth based forum member messaged me a few hours ago - he had a broken tailgate lock as well and the genuine replacement looks like the only option for the G.D. Wagons, so I will be calling John Hughes and Osborne park Hyundai on monday.

Offline outback jack

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
I have same problem with lock not working. I cannot find the lock anywhere. Think its going to cost a lot......
  • 2013 I30 Active Tourer. Diesel Auto

Offline sn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth n.o.r.
After much experimenting with trying to fix my dud lock [don't bother wasting your time], and searching ebay & alibaba / aliexpress for something that would fit - it looks like the only replacement lock for a GD wagon tailgate is factory original.

Here in W.A. the cheapest I found was John Hughes in Vic. Park, with my much closer Hyundai dealer [Osborne Park] being about $12 more.

When I picked up my order from Ozzy park, the counter bloke mentioned they get the majority of their Hyundai / Kia parts via AMCAP - so in future, it might be worth giving them a call if you are stuck!

Offline thommo101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA

• 2012 GD i30 Active Diesel Manual
Heya @sn , thanks for your helpful writeup. I too suffered an identical failure on my 2012 GD i30 hatch. Arrived at the family Christmas lunch and went to get the esky etc out of the boot and... oops! At least the seats fold down :D

I was luckily able to remove the lock without removing or damaging the trim:
- Undid the 3x 8mm hex bolts that hold the lock assembly into the car to provide play to the mechanism
- Snapped open the plastic cover in the front of the lock assembly to expose the latch mechanism
- Inserted a flat-blade screwdriver into the left side to trigger the latch release (see video)

:link: 2012 GD i30 Failed Tailgate Lock - YouTube

The lock is now cable tied shut. Time to get in touch with AMCAP and/or John Hughes for a replacement when they reopen.
  • 2012 i30 GD CRDi Active manual

Offline thommo101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA

• 2012 GD i30 Active Diesel Manual
Genuine replacement part obtained from John Hughes in Welshpool, and quick easy fit. All working once more.

I think I might need to up my insurance premiums to cover the value of the party 😆
  • 2012 i30 GD CRDi Active manual

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal