i30 Owners Club

Number plate security on new CN7 NLine

Kenn · 2 · 3918

Offline Kenn

• 1st Gear

• Toowoomba Qld
We have only had the car 4 weeks about 2000k on it so fsr bedn really enjoying it until some little twerp snuck in to out car park at work and simply rippe the rear number plate off!!
What a poor gesign just two screws at top into a couple of clips into plastic
So all she had to do was pull up on the bottom and it snapped the two clips out bingo $400 personalised plate gone in seconds.
Front plate holder would also not take much to nab it either
For a premium type car this is pathetic going to cost for a new bumper and new plates
Our laws in Australia clearly state number plates MUST be securely  fastened to the body if the car now this is not securely fastened at all so what are Hyundai up to don’t they have number plate thieves in Korea??
Very disappointed in this aspect of the car all my other cars were screwed into metal and had 4 screws but then again they were Mercedes too!🧐🧐
  • i30 NLine Sedan 2022

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
We have only had the car 4 weeks about 2000k on it so fsr bedn really enjoying it until some little twerp snuck in to out car park at work and simply rippe the rear number plate off!!
What a poor gesign just two screws at top into a couple of clips into plastic
So all she had to do was pull up on the bottom and it snapped the two clips out bingo $400 personalised plate gone in seconds.
Front plate holder would also not take much to nab it either
For a premium type car this is pathetic going to cost for a new bumper and new plates
Our laws in Australia clearly state number plates MUST be securely  fastened to the body if the car now this is not securely fastened at all so what are Hyundai up to don’t they have number plate thieves in Korea??
Very disappointed in this aspect of the car all my other cars were screwed into metal and had 4 screws but then again they were Mercedes too!🧐🧐

Ouch!  Expensive!  Most of us here, if not all, would be feeling your pain and frustration.

I think Hyundai would say that your plates were securely fastened to your car in the sense they wouldn't fall off etc during normal use and that "securely" in this context does not mean secure from theft.  It's all about words!!

Your post made me check my own number plates.  Four Phillips Head screws, one screwdriver and 60 seconds would be all that's needed for front and rear.  (Even less time if using a cordless screwdriver).   But, that's pretty much normal on many of the cars I've owned.  One saving grace on my setup is that it looks like the plates can be easily stolen/removed without having to break or destroy anything.

My plates aren't personalised but they do mean something to me so I may look at the aftermarket anti-theft security screws available that require a 'special' tool to fit/remove the plate.  While these anti-theft screws are not the "100%" solution they may encourage the casual tea-leaf to look for an easier target.

• 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal