i30 Owners Club

Engine Starts every time - on the second attempt!

Offline SuperClusterF

• 1st Gear

• ie Ireland, Republic of
      MEATH
Hello All!

So, I got myself a 2015 GD with the 1.6 CRDI, had it since new

It's been regularly serviced every 15Mm or 9,500 miles, and has just passed its 152 Megametre or 94,000 Milestone

The car has always started with minimal cranking, like less than a second to fire up

Over the last couple of months though, it's started to exhibit an unusual, mostly consistent behaviour

I'll crank it for two or three seconds with no joy, then retry after a momentary delay, when it'll start up right away, again with less than a second's turnover

The recent weather has been unusually warm for the time of year, around 12C before a recent drop, but the issue has been around longer than the morning frost

I do have a rudimentary scan tool, which is showing no errors, altough the battery is momentarily dropping to 10V during cranking

Any and all suggestions gratefully received, it's very much a head scratcher!

Kind Regards,

SCF

• 1.6 crdi

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Offline mrexcitement

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Yep agree most likely glow plugs if it's not the 80 amp fuse , I just changed mine , very easy to do , see here :link: Changed my glow plugs 2010 I30 FD CRDI
  • 2010 FD WAGON ,DIESEL 1.6, AUTO, SKY BLUE

Offline jfdelacruz

• 3rd Gear

• ph Philippines
      Paranaque City, Manilla
it can also be a fuel pressure issue. (first start, not enough pressure).

Experienced this just last week with a Peugeot 2.0HDi engine. The fuel filter on that one was sucking air and let into the fuel system - but no fuel leak.
  • 2011 FDe i30 1.6 CRDi 6M/T

Offline SuperClusterF

• 1st Gear

• ie Ireland, Republic of
      MEATH
Thanks to all who replied!  :goodjob:

For the benefit of anyone having a similar problem, I'm obliged to update with - the problem has disappeared completely over the last couple of months...

As it's summertime here now, days and nights are a good 15C or 20C warmer than when I wrote last December, so looks like I'll be replacing the glow plugs before Autumn and the temps start to fall again.

Maybe I'll see you again in December to report how well things are going!

Best regards,

- SCF

• 1.6 crdi

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
check the glow plugs - they still stay fault in the summer you just dont need them so much

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal