i30 Owners Club

Replacement Battery

Offline 17clarence

• 2nd Gear

• Switzerland

• i30 Tourer 2015 1.6MPI Petrol 118hp
Hello All, my 7 and half year old OEM battery is dying, down to 12v now.
It's a 45amp one. I see the replacements are about 54A, so good, but I also see there are some with high CCA.
No idea what I currently have, the standard batteries seem to be 450ish CCA, and the higher ones 540CCA.

Can I put in one with a high CCA? Some websites say don't do it, others, such as battery suppliers, list them as suitable.
The car lives outside, often only used 3 or 4 times a week.
It's a 2015 GD 1.6 petrol.

Any advice welcome!
  • i30 1.6GDi

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The higher CCA (Cold Cranking Amps)  the better imo, I personally use a Lithium 800-CCA battery in my own car :)

Simply put - the higher the CCA the more power the battery has to turn the vehicle over...easier starting and less stress on the battery :goodjob2:

Offline 17clarence

• 2nd Gear

• Switzerland

So after checking here and there, the OEM battery has a CCA of 328A (EN)  ( :link: Hyundai Creta - Battery capacity label - Battery) which equates to about 410A SAE, and I bought a new one that has a CCA of 470 (EN) so still quite an increase. Amps up from 45 to 52.
Bought this one - Bosch S4 002 52Ah

Should be fine as the old one never had an issue cranking up.
Would be interesting to know if going to a CCA of 540 (EN)  would be ok as the starter is obviously designed for @330.
  • i30 1.6GDi

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Would be interesting to know if going to a CCA of 540 (EN)  would be ok as the starter is obviously designed for @330.
Starter will be fine as it's still supplied 12 to 14v, the higher CCA just means the battery has extra power, it doesn't turn the starter any faster.

As previously mentioned, I'm using an 800 CCA battery and it's perfectly fine.

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
The higher CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) the better imo, I personally use a Lithium 800-CCA battery in my own car :)

Hmm, my recent battery upgrade from oem 550-CCA to 600-CCA seems rather piddling now.  :D  (And, Lithium $$$!! :wink:)
  • 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline 17clarence

• 2nd Gear

• Switzerland

Well with sub zero all week, and recently -8 for 3 days, I'm glad I put the new battery on. However I charged the old one, and it's holding the 12.6v, so maybe I could have gotten away with just charging it, but at 7.5 years old, it must be nearing end of life.

What surprised me is the alternator only kicks out 13.8v. I turned everything on, so heated seats and steering wheel, aircon full blast, radio and lights, still supplying 13.8, so I guess it's ok, just not as high as some others are quoting.
  • i30 1.6GDi

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Our 2010 fd 2.0l charging at 14.33v with a brand new alternator. Just replaced as the brushes wore out.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal