i30 Owners Club

Bluetooth Connection Issue

Chubba · 9 · 3614

Offline Chubba

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Suffolk
Hi

I recently noticed that my phone is not connecting properly to the car's Bluetooth system. 

Not sure if other owners' experience is the same but previously, once I'd started the car it takes maybe 30 seconds for the process of automatically downloading the recent calls initiating and then it completes in about 30-60 seconds.  I can then start making calls in the usual way using the controls on the steering wheel.  Although it did take a bit of time, I wasn't overly concerned as it's rare that I need to make calls anyway and also it'd have to be unlucky conindence that someone would try to call me within 2 minutes of me starting the car so again not too much of an issue.

However, now there seems to be a problem.  The automatic download only sometimes initiates and I may have to manually force it to start by pressing the call button on the steering wheel.  But no matter which method I try it seems to get stuck on the "Downloading recent calls" screen on the dashboard.  It then times out and the Bluetooth logo disappears from the dashboard signifying that the phone is not connected anymore.

I tried a few tests (stationary and parked up on my drive) - during the downloading process I got someone to call me and it would come through the car speaker system as normal.  Similarly, again during the downloading process I make a call from my phone using the controls on the phone itself and it dials out using the car's speaker system.  I wouldn't want to carry out this workaround everytime I enter the car, plus I think it disconnects some time after the call finishes when the downloading of the call list times out or fails.

My phone is a Google Pixel 6 and I thought it might've been an issue with the phone but I tried another phone that was saved on the system but that one did not work either.  I've tried deleting the phones from the saved list and re-pairing but that didn't help.  I've also tried turning off the Bluetooth on the phones as well as the car and turning it back on but unfortunately again no use.  Is there another way to reset the system somehow or is there anything else I could try?

The only material change to the car was that about a month ago during that period of a prolonged cold snap, my car couldn't start and I had to jump start the battery.  The battery wasn't completely flat though - the radio, lights etc. still worked, it just didn't have enough juice to crank the engine.  I can't say for certain that the Bluetooth issue cropped up after this incident though or whether it was there before and I'd just not noticed it.

Many thanks
  • 2013 Active 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6, Auto, Blue

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Check your firmware - not sure if yours is eligible for updates on the official Hy nav website

:link: Notice | Official Hyundai Motors Navigation Update Website
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Chubba

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Suffolk
Sorry for delay in coming back.  You're right I'm not eligible for updates as my car version is not one that has the in-built SatNav.

Another option I was thinking, if the bluetooth has somewhat become faulty - apart from getting it fixed by Hyundai, is there any after-market bluetooth systems that connect to the car speakers and microphone?

Offline PGN I30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes? Or if you can be bothered, removing the head unit for a while.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes? Or if you can be bothered, removing the head unit for a while.
If resetting the head unit by disconnecting the battery doesn't work then removing the head unit would be a waste of time and effort.

Offline PGN I30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
If resetting the head unit by disconnecting the battery doesn't work then removing the head unit would be a waste of time and effort.

I only said that because when I disconnected my battery to do the fuel filter, the radio kept the preset stations which means there must be some kind of backup/keep alive battery supply to it.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I only said that because when I disconnected my battery to do the fuel filter, the radio kept the preset stations which means there must be some kind of backup/keep alive battery supply to it.
Strange, everything is usually lost unless there was a powered supply plugged into the USB port which enables the system to retain stored memory functions/settings.

Offline Chubba

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Suffolk

Thanks, I will try the battery disconnection method and see how that goes.

Offline PGN I30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Strange, everything is usually lost unless there was a powered supply plugged into the USB port which enables the system to retain stored memory functions/settings.

No, I had to adjust the dashboard console settings but the stereo remained the same, I was about to reprogram the radio stations but they were all there.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal