i30 Owners Club

i30 2011 harsh vibration at 2000rpm

Jones95 · 87 · 26292

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi I had the same problem for months. This was cause by a previous owner installing a 3rd party clutch. Swapping it for a genuine Hyundai clutch solved the problem
Was anything else changed?,  could you check or post itemised invoice if you still have it please.

No reply Mick  :( :( as usual 2 posts.  little detail , seems he may have petrol or diesel 1.6,.

This is like hearing an endless tape that you get to hate .  :crazy1:

Millions of after market replacement clutches are fitted, but they seem to only affect the i30 and only the DIESEL. Comeon!!  :crazy1:
They are also fitted after the original HY clutch has been blamed for vibration, Comeon!!  :crazy1:

They do not seem to affect the petrol - manual box i30.  :Juggler:

@mickd @tw2005
Trying to think laterally , what is common to the problem?  :workitout:
All diesel, not auto, only FD model, so far. Not every FD crdi.

Gerard (tw) and I worked on a problem where front oil seals were being pushed out.
This happens to some i30 manual cars (only petrol reported) because of clutch operating pressure .

It causes wear to the crank thrust bearings and therefore lateral play in the crankshaft and obviously, the flywheel.

Luckily the OP had an old timer mechanic who could methodically work through the evidence.
Between us we solved a rare, but well published GLOBAL problem. :drinks:

:link: High oil pressure blowing crank seal :link:

@Jones95 , mate read the above then get your mechanic to check for the crank free play.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 02:01:57 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline hoolydooly

• 1st Gear

• Wollongong, Australia
Ok so i noticed something new yesterday, my partner was driving and I noticed as we were going up a big hill, in 5th gear at around 100km/h, the vibration started just below 2000rpm as normal, but I was watching the speedo and it was jumping up and down by 10-20km/h, just like a tacho would if the clutch was slipping.

I did a quick search and found that in most cars the speed is measured off the drive shaft? is this the same for the 2011 i30 crdi? It could point to a problem there....
  • MY12 i30 Active 1.6 6M

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Interesting!  :goodjob2:
Almost there,  :evil:  the speed sensor will be at the back of an old gearbox or more likely on the diff. The VSS on the i30 is on the transmission/gearbox given that it also functions as a differential. (top, far Left from memory)

No direct relationship to the vibration comes to mind. I would be looking for a poor a electrical connection that is being physically shaken by the vibes.

The connector may have been left loose when the 'A team' were doing the usual clutch change.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 02:08:54 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Jones95

• 2nd Gear

• ie Ireland, Republic of
Thank you for getting back to me with that!

I’m sure I (and others) have your head melted with all of this and I just wish it was something simple. I’ll admit I have no technical knowledge regarding what you’ve said but I’ll show my mechanic and hopefully get this resolved once and for all.

Thanks to everybody trying to help!
  • i30, 2011, 1.6 CRDi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Devils Advocate, Left field comment;

Has anyone checked out the driveshafts on this in particular the inner joints. Most susceptible the longest shaft. There may be evidence of grease leaving the boot under the clamp.

These wear out and the tripod goes off centre then due to the excess clearance causing vibration. Depending on how bad it is they can be quite bad and will transmit through the chassis, generally only at certain combinations of RPM , gears , load and speed. I found it more on the taller gears. maybe 3 up

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Has anyone checked out the driveshafts on this in particular the inner joints. Most susceptible the longest shaft. There may be evidence of grease leaving the boot under the clamp.

:Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: Noooooo!
It has to be the clutch.
Its always the clutch.

The Lord sayeth :TutTut: New thoughts are the Devil thinking.   :Ouch:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

:Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: Noooooo!
It has to be the clutch.
Its always the clutch.

The Lord sayeth :TutTut: New thoughts are the Devil thinking.   :Ouch:
:rofl:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
 :Yeah: :groan:

I knew there was a reason I ignored this thread.

...   :phone1: out

Offline hoolydooly

• 1st Gear

• Wollongong, Australia
ITS FIXED!!!!

Another new clutch, and this time a new flywheel and the vibration is gone.
  • MY12 i30 Active 1.6 6M

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
ITS FIXED!!!!

well I guess we can say Holy Dooly it's fixed, glad it is and `~I had my doubts on the clutch but t, there you go  :oops:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
ITS FIXED!!!!

well I guess we can say Holy Dooly it's fixed, glad it is and `~I had my doubts on the clutch but t, there you go  :oops:

No oops mate. :disapp:
You are ignoring your research principle.
Clutch and flywheel were changed. Which one was at fault?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
ITS FIXED!!!!

No oops mate. :disapp:
You are ignoring your research principle.
Clutch and flywheel were changed. Which one was at fault?
:winker: :cold:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
ITS FIXED!!!!

:brilliant: :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
ITS FIXED!!!!

:brilliant: :goodjob2: :goodjob:
in 5th gear at around 100km/h, the vibration started just below 2000rpm as normal, but I was watching the speedo and it was jumping up and down by 10-20km/h,.... 

As the Red Head says : please explain! :workitout:

Offline Jones95

• 2nd Gear

• ie Ireland, Republic of
Well, an update!

I see the noise has been fixed for a member, I’m happy for you!

The reason I haven’t made an update is simply I haven’t had anything new until this point. Got the car back a couple weeks ago, it’s still making the noise but; I went to the garage, got the invoice and this is what has been fixed:

New Clutch Kit
New Gearbox
Wheel Bearing (FRHS)
Turbo checked
Tyre rotation
Discs/ Brakes replaced.
A/C Pipes were fixed (didn’t know there was an issue there!)
Full Service
Flywheel checked
Exhaust checked for vibration

So, all in all, I practically have a new car. The noise is still there. I am not happy about that, but I will live with it. The garage (remember it was a used car dealer) bought me a nationwide warranty which covers parts/ labor for 12 months, should something go wrong. They also gave me a full tank of diesel so 👍.

If something goes wrong, I shall definitely update. But aside from the noise, the car is driving better than ever and I am thoroughly enjoying ownership. Thank you all for the help.
  • i30, 2011, 1.6 CRDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the update. They have certainly gone above and beyond. Still frustrating though.  :crazy1:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Whoa !, thats a lot of work.   :crazy1:
Sensation is still there,  try and find one at a car yard and take it for a spin.

Offline Scootlid

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Nsw
I'm currently having a similar issue,  240000kms on clock,  car is in shop now,  mechanic said it's the injectors are faulty.  We will find out in a few days when parts come in
  • 2017, SR Premium, 5 door hatch Petrol, 1.6t, auto, white

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I had this on my FD just before it's 5th birthday (5 years ago).  1800-2000rpm rattle/vibration only in 4th/5th/6th.

IIRC they replaced the flywheel and the noise remained.
They then replaced the clutch and all was good.
I seem to recall they believed it was an issue with springs in the clutch.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I had this on my FD just before it's 5th birthday (5 years ago).  1800-2000rpm rattle/vibration only in 4th/5th/6th.

IIRC they replaced the flywheel and the noise remained.
They then replaced the clutch and all was good.
I seem to recall they believed it was an issue with springs in the clutch.

I remain convinced it is ( resonance) elsewhere in the car. Mainly because an issue with clutch springs is irrelevant when the plate is clamped to the flywheel when in gear.
Possibly the movement of the engine, during replacement work, did the trick for you.
Mr Jones was directed to earlier discussions and research, but as I suspected, his mechanics did what they always do, again and again without any success.

Cheers G

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Indeed, I don't know, just relaying the experience and what they said. I think they said broken spring(s), but I can't be sure - its a long time ago. And keep in mind they removed it twice before it went away.

The only other observation I can make is the very slightest pressure on the clutch pedal at the point of the vibration was happening would attenuate it.

Offline dereknunn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
2013 GD 1.6CRDi

I had a new clutch fitted under warranty at 90,000km after a vibration at 1500-2000rpm became noticeable at 60,000km

You can see my original post and a short video of the loose springs by searching 'clutch vibration coolant loss'

Anyway, identical symptoms developed at 150,000km so in my case it seems the springs are good for 60,000km

I ignored the vibration, the car has just passed 300,000km and the vibration has not worsened.  The clutch still works fine.

If it does become necessary to replace the clutch again I will be fitting an Excedy item as the Hyundai item is clearly defective.

Aside from clutch issues the car has been great. I have had the electric cooling fan and reverse light switch replaced (possibly a result of driving through water that came over the bonnet), one of the temperature actuators replaced for the climate control system, and all the lacquer has peeled off the plastic door handles and tailgate spoiler.

I've found the originally fitted Hankook Kinergy Eco tyres to give me around 75,000km per set, more (and quieter) than both the Toyo and Bridgestone options I tried.

Almost exclusive country highway driving sees an average fuel consumption of 5.5L/100 at an average speed around 85km/h.

• 2013 i30 CRDi Manual

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
sorry but I remain unconvinced.

1. The majority of complainants about the vibration have owned a manual FD CRDi and have replaced clutches without it resolving significant vibration.

2. You own a GD and had a lot of other work done and " During this time the car was serviced by Hyundai at least twice, and test driven by numerous Hyundai representatives without comment. Prior to removal the clutch did not slip, judder, or in any way suggest to anyone it was worn; the fault would seem to be only the loose springs vibrating."

3. I suggest that loose springs 'spring to mind' whenever an explanation is needed.  :crazy2: Yerp that sounds good to me, Bubba.  :spitty:

3. Basic physics: While driving, the clutch is clamped hard and immovable to the flywheel. The springs in a clutch plate would have a combined weight of only a few grams. How would they influence a flywheel weighing about 10-12 Kg?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I don't know about causing the vibration, but if you put clutch springs into our search engine there are lots of references about them failing or getting worn or loose...  :undecided:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I don't know about causing the vibration, but if you put clutch springs into our search engine there are lots of references about them failing or getting worn or loose...  :undecided:

This is a basic mechanic talking about the loose springs;
You will note that the springs are there to soften the action of the clutch engagement and the initial clamping of the clutch plate.
The rattle is heard at very low speed or when the vehicle is idling.

:link: Clutch Plate Faults - When a rattle is clutch plate springs and not a gearbox fault. - YouTube

Not only are the springs light weight compared to the weight of the flywheel, centrifugal force pushes against them holding them down. Therefore no rattle,no vibration at higher revs.

The majority of our CRDi owners who had a clutch replacement reported little of no improvement to 'the vibe'.
It is relevant that petrol i30s have a much lighter flywheel, but these owners do not report 'the vibe', therefore the usual clutch spring discourse rarely arises.

Offline dereknunn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
I can only report the facts in an attempt to assist others. The seeming harmonic vibration / rattle at low rpm was totally eliminated (in my case) by replacing the clutch assembly, and the springs in the clutch pressure plate were found to be loose to the point they were rattling around (see video in original post).

Hyundai technicians initially struggled to diagnose the fault; opinions ranged from 'air noise associated with the turbo' to something loose in the exhaust system, the front section of which was even replaced in the quest to rectify the fault. I remained adamant the fault was somewhere in the transmission and eventually insisted the gearbox was removed at which point the loose springs were discovered.

Regardless of all the comments about flywheels, the springs in the clutch plate should not become loose after such a short period of use. The friction surfaces of the removed components showed only normal wear, and despite the replacement clutch developing identical symptoms after an identical mileage it otherwise continues to operate perfectly over 200,000km later.

I am not a mechanic, or a physicist, but I do understand how a clutch works and the purpose of the springs.

My style of driving, a majority of highway miles, the evidence of only normal wear to the removed components, and the replacement still operating more than 200,00km later are not indicative of abnormal use. The experts I have discussed the matter with are of the same opinion.

I previously owned an FD CRDi 6 Speed and confirm no such symptoms became apparent in well over 100,000km.

• 2013 i30 CRDi Manual

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
It would seem, that after much discussion on noise/vibration re diesel engines, that maybe there is actually 2 or 3 different sounds/feels excisting all being interpretated as "the same as mine".
1- certain gear/ engine rev,
2- clutch issues
3- exhaust harmonics.
 :faint: :faint:  :head_butt: :head_knock:

Offline dereknunn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
I think that is a very likely and valid point mickd.

Whilst I'd struggle to explain the sound characteristics of my vibration / rattle / resonance I would say that I only 'feel' it when at its most severe. Usually I just hear a 'buzzing' noise as I pass through the noted rev range.

What I can do is accurately describe how and when it occurs as being exactly how and when a worn clutch slips.

The severeness of the vibration is directly proportional to the load under which acceleration is taking place.

It is most extreme at low speed in a low gear, but only apparent if accelerating under an extremely heavy load, for example pulling away up a very steep hill.

It becomes less severe as speed increases but can be induced more easily with the combination of a high gear / heavy throttle.

It reduces rapidly as the amount of throttle is reduced, ceasing immediately if the accelerator is lifted completely.

The need to negotiate steep hills at relatively low speeds aside, occurrences of the vibration are virtually eliminated by driving smoothly and avoiding hard acceleration.

In my case, I have no regrets about choosing to ignore the issue when it re-occurred after being eliminated for 60,000km by fitting a new clutch.

However, other posts report symptoms that are far more severe, occur under different circumstances, and have not been eliminated in the way my problem was, ultimately adding weight to mickd's opinion that there are indeed a number of different issues here.
  • 2013 i30 CRDi Manual

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
It would seem, that after much discussion on noise/vibration re diesel engines, that maybe there is actually 2 or 3 different sounds/feels existing all being interpreted as "the same as mine".
1- certain gear/ engine rev,
2- clutch issues
3- exhaust harmonics.
 :faint: :faint:  :head_butt: :head_knock:

I'm along with you on all 3 prospects.

The  "the same as mine" interpretation may be the same thing or way off base.  :goodjob2:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Would be great to hold a "diesel vibration experience" weekend.   
:crazy1:  :crazy2: :crazy1: :crazy2: I've lost the plot   :faint: :rofl:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal