i30 Owners Club

Installing a Sony xav-ax5000 into a nav-model 2015 i30 gd

toast · 6 · 4094

Offline toast

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hello,

My stock head unit's sat nav broke down recently and I decided to try my hand at installing a Sony XAV-AX5000 into my 2015 i30 gd. I had been interested in using android auto for a while now and this seemed like the perfect excuse to go for it. My model was unfortunately not included in the Hyundai android auto rollout (2015 q4 and onward i30 models only).

I thought I'd share my journey through this process since there were some odd bits and pieces I found during installation (granted I'd never done anything like this before!).

I also found these threads very helpful throughout the process:
:link: Swapping out a i30 Navigation unit for a Kenwood DDX-9018DABS
:link: Swapping out a i30 Navigation unit for GD-03 unit
:link: HOW TO: UPGRADE YOUR GD-01/GD-02 TO A GD-03 HEAD UNIT STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE

So to begin, I got a bunch of things from aerpro:
   - Fascia kit (FP8343)*
   - Steering wheel control harness (CHHY8N)
   - Secondary sony to iso harness (APP8SP4)
   - Patch lead (APSONYPL)
   - Headunit antenna adaptor (APA47)
   - Video retention harness (APVHY01)**

* - I had a navigation model, which has a different fascia kit to non-nav models (take a look at :link: Hyundai i30 2012-2017 GD | Aerpro)
** - It's really weird but there seems to be two different harnesses sold under this same model number (APVHY01), one has a connector with 16pins and the other with 24, which I noticed when looking at listings of this item across a few online stores. I initially got the one with 16pins but actually needed the one with 24 pins. Luckily, the store where I got these from had the other one and was happy to exchange it for me after some confusion all around.

Factory camera connector on the left vs. connector on the first APVHY01 harness I got on the right

Connector from the replacement APVHY01 I got from the store

For the most part, it's all plug and play. This video from Aerpro shows how to attach the different harnesses - :link: Aerpro Harnesses – Steering Wheel Controls 101 - YouTube

One thing to note is that the orange illumination wire on the CHHY8N steering wheel control harness is routed to the wrong connector. You'll need to repin this wire in order to have the auto-dim function when you turn on your headlights. It also seems to let google maps change from day to night mode when this happens.

Pinouts for the navigation model headunit (lan1050ehgd)

Where the illumination wire was and where I repinned it on the CHHY8N harness

Some connections need to be made to retain the factory reverse camera. As I didn't have the equipment to do proper wire splicing and was a little eager to finish this project I opted to use wire tap connectors. 

All you do is slot the two wires in and press down, easy.

To be completely frank, I suspect there may be better options when choosing which wires to connect. I based my choices on what I saw when looking around on Youtube and forums like Reddit and this one. I will describe what connections I made below, but would definitely appreciate any advice from more experienced installers.

I tapped the black camera ground wire (on APVHY01) to the RCA's black ground wire on the same harness and the red positive camera wire to one of the red accessory power wires. This powers the camera when the car is switched on.

On the sony to iso harness (APP8SP4), I tapped the reverse wire to the factory reverse gear wire. This allows the headunit to automatically turn on the reverse camera screen when going into reverse gear.

Circled reverse gear wire on the factory power & signal connector B

I also tapped the parking wire to the black ground wire on the same harness (APP8SP4). I should note that while this simple constant ground seems to work for most Sony headunits, some other brands like Pioneer are more smart about it and you may require another kind of bypass. I was going to just leave this parking wire alone, but decided I'd like the option of using the onscreen keyboard for google maps rather than just relying on voice commands.

With these out of the way, everything seems to be working! I decided against getting the usb retention adaptor as I was worried about cables getting tangled with the gear stick while driving. Instead, I routed the two USB cables on the sony through the passenger-side glove box and into the small tray area under the centre console.

Regrettably, in my excitement after getting everything working I neglected to take more pictures of the finished wiring. So most of these pictures are from when I was planning out what to do.

Before:

and after:

That's all for now, let me know if you have any questions and thank you for reading.
  • 2016 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 2.0L, Manual

Offline Gsimon

• 1st Gear

• be Belgium
      Brussels
Hello,
I live in europe, and this is the only forum that is really clear regarding the swap of the navi unit of the i30.
I struggled a bit to find a trim kit here, but finally got the correct one.

The thing I struggle now, is to find the correct Steering wheel control interface (the one from Connects2) .
CHHY8N  is the S/N for the reseller aerpro, but would it be possible to get the S/N from Connects2 directly?

Of course I asked them, but they seems to be.... not very good technically to correctly answer my question.

Thanks in advance!
  • i30GD

Offline brazilian

• 1st Gear

• br Brazil
      Brazil
Awesome topic!
Unfortunately here in Brazil we don't have that wire harness and adapters to buy. The majority sellers does not dispatch to here.
  • Hyundai i30 2014

Offline Mr-A-ttack

• 1st Gear

• au Australia

Offline madder.hatter

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I don't know if this will help anyone else, but after getting the kits, the steering controls wouldn't work.
I noticed in the picture that the brown at A5 in the photo in the OP, on mine was at A4. I re-pinned to A5 and the steering controls work...
I've also re-pinned the illumination wire as mentioned.

I have more issues which i'm pretty sure are mis-pinned related. I contacted the company but their tech support insists it's all correct, i even linked to this thread and others showing the connector diagrams and issues.
My speakers don't fade to the correct speakers on my pioneer unit, so left goes front right and right goes left and back.. it's a bit odd.
I was wondering if whoever was putting together my kit was having a bad day with pinning...
I also have an issue where my little pioneer 150w under seat sub/amp cuts out randomly on braking or acceleration, it's not losing power, so I'm confused with that. It's not affected by headlights or anything like that, just acceleration and braking, but not all the time. Sometimes it's fine for 20 minutes, others it'll be off for completely for 20 minutes until I've come to a complete standstill. I've checked my battery, rca cables etc and all is good.

My photo below shows it before re-pinning:

• 2016 pd 3 door hatch 1.6 t-gdi manual red

Offline FredtheRed

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Gotta say thanks for creating this particular thread, I bought the same harness (CHHY8N) and plugged it into my atoto s8 and had a few issues before I got to this thread and a youtube video showing me where to wire for extra features.
I think my harness was updated AFTER they read your thread cause illumination was in the proper place AND they had a loose reverse gear cable to slot into my headunits rear camera wire.

Saved a little bit of money by buying a "24 Pin Car Camera Adapter Connector toyota" that had the same connecter as hyundai and re pinning the connector by shoving a small screwdriver in the relief holes until it popped out to matched yours. (warning, after repinning I made sure red camera adapter wire touches red wire of car camera connecter)

Had to splice a 12v wire(mine was the 12v ignition wire) to get 6v power to the camera. Ground spliced off steering wheel ground.

I also noticed my radio was a bit weaker leading to me finding out my particular harness didn't seem to have the power antenna go anywhere. Followed the youtube video to locate splice point as A18, a red wire. Connected this spliced wire to my power antenna wire on my headunit and my radio signal appears to be much stronger now.

The thing I struggle now, is to find the correct Steering wheel control interface (the one from Connects2) .
I believe the link for the version on this thread is CTSHY020.2

Also Park Brake wire is only gonna disable your video playback while the car is in motion, no real reason to use it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 08:45:35 by FredtheRed »
  • 2014 GD 5 door hatch, Unleaded 1.8lt, Auto, Silver

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal