i30 Owners Club

Smoke on start-up with CRDI (2)

Offline Argus

• 3rd Gear

• pl Poland
      Bydgoszcz

• Bydgoszcz Poland
I could be wrong but i think there have been less problems with glow plugs for our Aussie members Korean made cars (and these have been primarily a shorting out issue) whereas the european cars may be due to the use of inferior glow plugs.. :idea:

I could be on the wrong track but I don't think any of the earlier Korean built i30's owned by our european members have had glow plug issues??
Probably you are right.  Installed by Czech factory plugs brand Yura-tech burn out, in european cars, very often. Glow plugs aren't under warranty, but cost only about 70 EUR -per all four, and replacement is not difficult.

Start-up before glow plugs change

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Is that photo after  :eek: glow plug change  :confused:

Surely you mean before...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Start-up after glow plugs change

I' guessing that was before the change.

I dont have the details to hand, but there are at least two different part numbers used for glowplugs in european manufactured cars.

Offline Argus

• 3rd Gear

• pl Poland
      Bydgoszcz

• Bydgoszcz Poland
Is that photo after  :eek: glow plug change  :confused:

Surely you mean before...

Sorry!!!
Before of course!
For my I30 built in 2009 october, part numbers used for glowplugs is 36710 2A100.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

There are 3 types of glowplug listed in the catalogue for European produced cars with the U2 engine if I understand the information correctly:

36710-2A100 used on 4 speed automatics produced up to 30/04/2010
36710-2A200 used on Euro4 6 speeds plus 4 speeds from 30/04/2010 onwards
36710-2A700 used on all Euro 5 6 speeds (with DPF) production

It is interesting that you have 36710-2A100. This would tend to indicate you have a 4 speed manual gearbox.

Its more interesting that the use of 36710-2A100 stopped in April 2010 - perhaps they found an issue with this part variant? Perhaps 36710-2A200 is a better version and is compatible? I don't know the answer, all conjecture on my part.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
In my I30 two glow plugs burned out. Prior to glow plugs change (single-handed, because blockheads from Hyundai Service affirmed that I refuel bad fuel  :evil:) , my motor was smoking (blue)  in the cold morning. Now there are original Mobis plugs but marked NGK (earlier there were tacky plugs marked Yura-tech). Now all is OK.

If they 2 burned out, you should really have it checked - the metal thing, that's probably causing the problem and which was described on the foreign forum (my link above). Or even better, you can read it on the 2nd or 3rd page of this topic..

Offline Argus

• 3rd Gear

• pl Poland
      Bydgoszcz

• Bydgoszcz Poland
Glow plugs for my I30 -6 speeds gear box, without DPF:

Salesman told me that, the 36710 2A100 are identical like 36710 2A200.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Interesting.. never seen one out of a motor before  :goodjob:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I think there MUST be a difference as they would not have two part numbers, they have seem to have really tight control on their bill of materials.

Of course the difference might be nothing to do with them blowing.

I think the make might be significant though, NGK sounds like a better bet.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

whilst digging about in the part catalogue I've found the air intake heater that sooty mentioned. part number is 367102A300.

Offline VatTas

• 2nd Gear

• lt Lithuania
      Lithuania

• i30 1.6 CRDi BlueDrive
Probably you are right.  Installed by Czech factory plugs brand Yura-tech burn out, in european cars, very often. Glow plugs aren't under warranty, but cost only about 70 EUR -per all four, and replacement is not difficult.
I had 2 of glow plugs blown out. At first service said that they are not covered by warranty (as written in service book) and cost 115EUR for one. I could not believe it and didn't leave this matter until they confirmed that there's translation error in service book and glow plugs are in fact covered by warranty. So I got them replaced under warranty. So you should check it out - I suspect that distributor in Poland is the same as in Lithuania and there might be the same error in your service book.

Offline Argus

• 3rd Gear

• pl Poland
      Bydgoszcz

• Bydgoszcz Poland
cost 115EUR for one.  :eek:
http://kia.auto.pl/swieca-zarowa-picanto-ceed-soul-hyundai-p-820.html  70 PLN=18EUR.
Thieving in Hyundai Services  :evil:.
Perhaps it's true that there's translation error in service book (I don't know about it earlier) , however services play dumb and abuse this writing. You have found the honest service.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Interesting.... I just read a report from someone who had similar issues. They seemed to imply the dealer had said that the bosch-made glowplugs are a little longer than the other make, and the shorter ones were allowing carbon to build up causing them to be ineffective.

This owner reported no problems since having bosch glowplugs fitted.

Offline VatTas

• 2nd Gear

• lt Lithuania
      Lithuania

• i30 1.6 CRDi BlueDrive
cost 115EUR for one.  :eek:
http://kia.auto.pl/swieca-zarowa-picanto-ceed-soul-hyundai-p-820.html  70 PLN=18EUR.
Thieving in Hyundai Services  :evil:.
Perhaps it's true that there's translation error in service book (I don't know about it earlier) , however services play dumb and abuse this writing. You have found the honest service.
I'm not sure that these glow plugs are ok for "Blue Drive" line of i30 CRDIs. Maybe glow plugs are different for Blue Drives and cost much more?
I didn't find honest service. They did everything to charge me. I just found the right people to notify about the problem...

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Just had my car fixed under warranty re smoking on cold start up issue, which started to surface I guess about the 30K mark. car is 12months old and has now done about 64K. The technicians apparently found an "internal fault in the glow plugs". So they replaced all of them under warranty. The interesting thing here is that the report said the vehicle was tested and all OK. I'm sceptical about that remark because the engine was still hot when they tested it. Anyway I'll check this myself under real world conditions (ie in the morning).

I should point out that my first i30 was doing the same thing, so this isn't an isolated incident. That makes two consecutive i30 over two different model years me. I suspect this is more common than (proud) owners are prepared to admit.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I suspect this is more common than (proud) owners are prepared to admit.
Or notice. I suspect drivers in a more temperate climate are less likely to see the problems anyway.

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
That is quite possible Lorian. By the way I had the car in last week for replacement glow plugs (under warranty of coarse). They said the car was tested and all OK. Well that was just f**king crap. It's worse that it was before. Now I'm also getting the smell of exhaust fumes in the cabin, which is noticeable when the fan speed is on 1 and open air vent is open. Going back tomorrow to sort this issue out for good (hopefully)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Good luck this time. It would be interesting to see if there is a correlation between the issue and one particular make of plugs.

I wonder how sooty is getting on, he hasn't posted an update in some time.

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
My i30 is sorted, however, even after the glow plugs where changed fault was still there but as the days went pass and the mileage increased, the fault became less apparent & has now gone.
car has done 5K miles, used 0.75 litre of oil, only manages 45 mpg driving sensible, the engine improving all the time, shame the suspension isnt as knock from front end & ratlle from dash which can wait, overall very disappointed with car, especially the dealer.

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Had the car back at Hy service re this warranty issue. All sorted now. Took about an hour. Another techi realized that the previous junior techi who installed the new glow plugs had smeared too much sealing gunk on the actual plugs and around the area to be sealed. Consequence: the excessive gunk was causing the glow plugs not to earth correctly and hence not work properly. The plugs need to be earthed to work and the plugs apparently run for a few minutes when the engine us cold, which I wasn't aware of. And the fumes I was smelling in the car was the continual burnoff of the excessive sealing gunk. I started the car this morning and the car idled beautifully and there was no smoke.

This occurrence sounds like the problem you had sootytorques. But I think in your case you unknowingly allowed the sealing gunk to burn off sufficiently to allow the glow plugs to return to their earthed state.

My own experience with this issue has led me to believe that the earthing of the glowplugs are critical to thier correct operation. So anybody who still experiences problems after new glow plugs have been installed (and assuming the fuse is still in tact) may want to consider this in troubleshooting your problem.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Sealant?

Something like 20A of current should flow through each of those plugs, I'm suprised that any sealant  all should be used.  I though they were a kind of taper fit to stop leaks, but I dont know this for sure.

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Yeah it came down to sealant. The first techi had apparently put sealant somewhere along the shaft. I don't know how much he put on and where he put it, but it was enough to stop the flow of earth.

Offline Argus

• 3rd Gear

• pl Poland
      Bydgoszcz

• Bydgoszcz Poland
I'm suprised also. In my car, wasn't any sealant on the glow plugs. These plugs are sealed in hole only by cone (metal to metal).

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Maybe sealant is added as a precaution.

I hightly suspect it shouldn't be though. Perhaps one of our members from a dealership will see this and comment.

Offline jw_guildford

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Farnborough
Question for the people that have had this issue: did you get any warning lights come on?

My 1.6CRDi is smoking somewhat on start-up and when I suggested it to the dealer they said they'd expect a warning light to come on if there was a fault with a glow plug. The vagueness of this ("expect"?) doesn't fill me with confidence!

They've also suggested I put some cleaner through. I believe this may be a contentious one here, but presumably there's no harm that can be done by putting a reputable brand through? I was going to pick up some Forte.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Question for the people that have had this issue: did you get any warning lights come on?

Good question.. I don't recall anyone mentioning a light coming on when they have had this problem  :confused: If you don't get a direct answer in this thread after a day or two send a PM to very amicable members eyecon or Opa_1 (in case they don't notice this thread)

My understanding is that a failed glowplug creates QUITE A LOT of smoke (although our CRDi didn't have this problem... :cool:

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
di have a new i30 (1,000km/600miles) and it smokes every now and then no start up for a second or two....nothing to worry about?  And it wil make smoke if you put your foot down hard! :P
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline BOR15

• 2nd Gear
  • I am 5' 11", my hair is 5' 6" ....

• au Australia
      Penrith
Hey Guys,

I have had the smoke on start up also. Looked through the service details for the car and the previous owner had asked for it to be looked at in the past. After reading this thread, i had a look at my car. The 80amp fuse is blown so it is booked in tomorrow.

What are they called? while i was in i referred to them as glow plugs. I was informed that the car doesn't have glow plugs even though the fuse is labeled glow :exclaim: :question: :exclaim: :question: The service guy said that he has never seen this fuse blow.

So for the next day i have a 2000k old elantra to drive.

Report back with what they find. :whistler:

Boris

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal