i30 Owners Club

International Postal Rates. Disastrous!

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 A few years ago, I gave up trying to buy parts in the USA. Usually the price would at least double after freight cost was added. Then my delicate parts would be shipped at the bottom of a container under a couple of V8 motors.  :crazy1:

Now the Poms are just as bad.

I need a small oil seal for an Audi. It measures 45 mm X 10 mm, weight 8 grams.

USA price = $6, plus shipping $ us$24 ( 3-5 weeks) /us$45 ( 3-5 days).  :disapp:

Price in the UK= £3  plus shipping  £110. :faint: ( takes about a month) [ :kissmyass: Boris. ]

Then my new favourite country stepped up.. Au$20 including postage.  I  :KissLips: LATVIA 
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
A few years ago, I gave up trying to buy parts in the USA. Usually the price would at least double after freight cost was added. Then my delicate parts would be shipped at the bottom of a container under a couple of V8 motors.  :crazy1:

Now the Poms are just as bad.

I need a small oil seal for an Audi. It measures 45 mm X 10 mm, weight 8 grams.

USA price = $6, plus shipping $ us$24 ( 3-5 weeks) /us$45 ( 3-5 days).  :disapp:

Price in the UK= £3  plus shipping  £110. :faint: ( takes about a month) [ :kissmyass: Boris. ]

Then my new favourite country stepped up.. Au$20 including postage.  I  :KissLips: LATVIA

:spam:

Stop giving our secrets away  :groan:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Aren't  the fledgling capitalist countries great  ,,how long from sunny Latvia?
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Aren't  the fledgling capitalist countries great  ,,how long from sunny Latvia?
About 15000Km or 23.5 Hrs  :whistler:

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Latvia and Lithuania has some dood prices. Some parts are cheap in Poland. I would guess some Audi parts might be cheap in German ebay. But it is much easier for me as we are in the EU.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Yes Poland has been good too. Cheap glow plugs etc.

In Australia we rely upon overseas suppliers who feed local brands such as Kelpro ( the big name in oil seals).

To buy the above  £3 seal here, I had the not so great options of Ebay $66, Repco $102 and Supercheap $144.  :scared: :faint:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Last week I made an enquiry with a U.S. Ebay seller of an item that was the size of a key. The item was USD2 but the freight came up as USD18. He said that his forwarding freight company is in charge of the freight costing and it was out of his hands.

This seems to be the way of things...everybody out for a cut.

It reminds me of a 'Dad joke' that my dad used to tell and re-tell. It used to crack him up every time...

A fellow in rural Russia rides his bicycle to work each day and has to cross a small bridge and pay toll to the toll collector both morning and night.
One day he asks the toll collector what the toll actually pays for.
The toll collector says "It pays for the construction of the bridge".
The bike rider says "But the bridge has been here for 50 years...surely it has been paid for by now!"

The toll collector says..."You got me...it actually pays for my wage."

As I said...everyone is out for their cut.  :crazy1:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
In disussions in Lithuania re carby's for my bike, $480 inc postage.
Another set in Germany for $520 inc postage.
25 year old, limited run, bike bits are getting harder to find.
Funny how 40mm flat slide and 36mm slab ( 1/2 flat and 1/2 round) slide gets confused  :crazy1: :crazy1:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :snigger: :snigger:

Doing someone a favour, I tried to send a 'country style' steel bull bar from Brisbane to mid NSW by rail.

It sat in Brisbane for two weeks while various committees tried to decide if the total dimensions price out-weighed :winker: weight price; or should both be combined; or was there another formula?

Client eventually drove up and collected it himself.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Doing someone a favour, I tried to send a 'country style' steel bull bar from Brisbane to mid NSW by rail.

It sat in Brisbane for two weeks while various committees tried to decide if the total dimensions price out-weighed :winker: weight price; or should both be combined; or was there another formula?

Sounds about right!  :crazy1:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

FFS, typical.  Though must say a guy in Trish&Dazzland sent me a set of brand new pipes for my bike and a guy in Garyland sent a set of 43 mm forks via Aus Post cheap too. Delivert girl said anymore and can come and collect yourself   :lol:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal