i30 Owners Club

Advice/Opinions on best GPS to buy...

Dazzler · 63 · 10124

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I have a Garmin nuvi 265T which I bought just before I picked up my i30 this year.
It has bluetooth, not that I usually bother to use it as people rarely call me.
You can change the voice on it.....you get a male or female voice for each country and also have the option of being able to download software which will enable you to use your own voice or anyone else's for that matter.

One issue I do have with Garmin is their maps.. I updated with the latest when I bought the unit and yet occasionally I find myself driving across "open country" with no road in sight even tho the road I'm actually on has been there for a number of years.
Overall tho, I'm pretty happy with it.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I've heard  people talking about different satnavs, and  being told to turn left, or right, when there isn't a road to turn into. that could be dangerous  :rolleyes:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I have a Garmin nuvi 265T which I bought just before I picked up my i30 this year.
It has bluetooth, not that I usually bother to use it as people rarely call me.
You can change the voice on it.....you get a male or female voice for each country and also have the option of being able to download software which will enable you to use your own voice or anyone else's for that matter.

One issue I do have with Garmin is their maps.. I updated with the latest when I bought the unit and yet occasionally I find myself driving across "open country" with no road in sight even tho the road I'm actually on has been there for a number of years.
Overall tho, I'm pretty happy with it.

I went the Garmin 1390T.. Got it locally for $295 ... Much more compact and pocket friendly than the Tom Tom G0750 .. I compared them side by side and decided to forgo the voice command (they were both the same price) ...

Guess time will tell .. But I reckon I will be be happy enough with it..  :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Sounds good, Daz....I paid $168 for mine,  (I think it was a pretty good deal at the time).
I got it from "Wow" while I was holidaying in Townsville.... :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks.. I could have got a cheaper model of Garmin but the 1390T seemed like the sweet spot... :cool:

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Drivin' round Melbournes SE 'burbs in a Black SLX
I've heard  people talking about different satnavs, and  being told to turn left, or right, when there isn't a road to turn into. that could be dangerous  :rolleyes:

And that's why people shouldn't solely rely on these gadgets.......

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

And that's why people shouldn't solely rely on these gadgets.......

I've used a GPS in 5 different States of Australia. I learned early in the piece to still keep an eye on the road signs and other drivers etc... (but a GPS certainly helps to point you in the right direction)  :cool:

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
Even if don't use it as a GPS, you can still play with  :lol:
So, good choice Dazz!

BTW, i think that Hemmi's new avatar modified could work as a custom vehicle for garmin... with owner's permission of course
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

So, good choice Dazz!

BTW, i think that Hemmi's new avatar modified could work as a custom vehicle for garmin... with owner's permission of course

Thanks for your help babis.. I'll go have a look at Hemmi's new avatar (he's been a bit quiet lately... :'()

Looking forward to a play with the new gadget .. Also got a new PVR (Beyonwiz DP-lite) so i've been playing with that first  :mrgreen:

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
only just read the thread today. i have the 1390T!

i bought it for the extra functions of the lane assist, junction view and the traffic thingy.
took me ages to work out the lane assist is a wee icon in the top corner and not a voice thing or a bigger section of the map that i could actually 'notice' while driving and not having to pay too much attention to the GPS.
i've never seen junction view work yet
the traffic thing always tells me there is no traffic, even if i'm stuck dead in it. this is suna's fault not garmin.
i sometimes get told to 'turn right here' when there is clearly no road to turn on, but i would say this is a fault of the mapping systems not the garmin

otherwise i love it so far, pretty easy to use though i haven't used everything in it such as the bluetooth, another thing i bought it for. took it to new zealand with me and it was fantastic over there, and saved hiring one for $10 per day.

positive, pretty quick to update majority of the time, sat position and navigation etc
negative, touch screen can be slow to respond when trying to move it, or zoom in and out

haven't played with the voices
did have issue with my map update, went to do that and there wasn't an update there and then my 3 months ran out so i couldn't update. appears a few others had some issues with this as well on whirlpool from what i read. possible glitch in system?
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
I'll go have a look at Hemmi's new avatar (he's been a bit quiet lately... :'()

...Also got a new PVR (Beyonwiz DP-lite) so i've been playing with that first  :mrgreen:

Probably Hemmi is stuck on viewing photos of the Turkish mediterranean beaches :P

BTW, where have you installed the home cinema?
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

BTW, where have you installed the home cinema?

Hi Babis our biggest TV is in the Living Room between the two windows facing north.. We put surround sound wiring in the walls when we were building so the left, right and two rear surround speakers are in little plaster alcove (pockets) in each corner of the room.. with 1000 watts RMS it all sounds pretty good especially bluray  :mrgreen:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
1000w RMS would be pretty bloody good...

Pah. I got more watts than that in my kettle. It says so :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

1000w RMS would be pretty bloody good...

Pah. I got more watts than that in my kettle. It says so :P

Good answer . :lol: :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

So, good choice Dazz!

I've been having fun with the program for recording your own voice for the Garmin... :mrgreen:

Done a "normal" one with my voice (well as normal as my voice can be)  :rolleyes:

and did another I called Luigi (tribute to my Italian background) with a strong italian accent.. :lol: :lol: 

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
you can do that with it? heh never noticed
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

you can do that with it? heh never noticed

Sounded good in preview mode on the recording program but on the GPS not so good .. I will have to re-do it talking faster.. I sound a bit "slow" ... :-[

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
Done a "normal" one with my voice (well as normal as my voice can be)  :rolleyes:

and did another I called Luigi (tribute to my Italian background) with a strong italian accent.. :lol: :lol: 

hahaha do you have a really "squeeky" voice? or is it really DEEP!!

lol the italian one would be funny as!

Offline Dogga

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Australia

• I'm Free..........
I am on my 2nd Garmin, 1st was a Nuvi 310 and worked faultlessly for about 3 years. This help me towards making my decision to buy another. I have just brought a Nuvi 1490t with the large 5" screen and traffic receiver. So far so good. :mrgreen:
  • 2011 SLX CRDi Sleek Silver

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

hahaha do you have a really "squeeky" voice? or is it really DEEP!!

lol the italian one would be funny as!

Apparently I have a very distinctive voice but neither squeeky or deep (I used to make spruiker CD's to play on a stereo outside my work...so can change my voice a fair bit to suit the situation)

Hi Dogga..

The 1490T would have been nice but I thought might be a bit big to fit in my pocket if wanted to use while walking around Melbourne or Perth. Think the 1390T is very similar just a bit smaller (all good so far) although there are some things about my Mio 520C I liked more ...

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

I've been having fun with the program for recording your own voice for the Garmin... :mrgreen:

Ok, I cant resist..... :-[
So Daz, you have a different voice for each head?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Nah.. I got one removed at birth (but if you've seen a picture of me you will see I kept the wrong one) ... :wink:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I just took the plunge and invested in a Garmin Nuvi 1490T....  I've only fondled it thus far but it feels and looks way cooler than my old Tom Tom device...    Of course the acid test will be next week once I it the road for work again.

I do love the 5" screen though and the menu seems (at this stage) better than Tom Tom.....

A

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi "A" that is basically a slightly bigger version of mine (1390T) which is proving quite good so far.... :cool:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Hi "A" that is basically a slightly bigger version of mine (1390T) which is proving quite good so far.... :cool:

Hiya Dazzler...
I had Garmin for my first sat nav, it was a dinky little affair bout as big as a golf ball but it got the job done fine.   Then one of my daughters bought me a tom tom, which was OK, now I am happy to be back with Garmin.  I know their speciality is more marine sat nav but I like their simplicity.   I am just having one problem and I know it'll be 'ME' and not the machine i.e. the phone book from my iPhone (which loaded fine the first time I tried it) doesn't seem to be loading now.   Aaaaahhhhhh

Good luck with the 1390t.....
Asa

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I took my Garmin nuvi 1490t out for a test flight today around North Yorkshire, over Pendle Hill and towards Skipton (for them as know there way round the UK).   I was pretty impressed, it's the first time I have seen 'lane assist' working properly.  It was useful to someone whom didn't know which lane to be in at a multi-junction intersection, although on one occasion it was rather late coming, which no doubt accounts for all the idiots who come flying up in the outside lane, then cut across ten lanes of traffic to leave the road.  I like that it tells you the name of the street or road verbally, and she usually has the correct pronunciation as well.   As I descended through the low cloud around Pendle Hill it did on one occasion advise me to make a turn into something resembling a farmers lane, which I ignored of course.  This was rather worrying really, but since I am familiar with the area it presented no problems for me, but, I imagine some guy driving a forty two ton truck (who'd left his brains at home) might have fallen for it, as one occasionally sees this sort of thing on the news.

On another occasion the whole screen changed colour to attract my attention to a road works hold up, and indeed some few miles down the road I passed the obligatory five mile stretch of road cones, I can only assume that the workmen had popped off to have the elevenses and croissants.  Which of course meant that there was no hold up, but had there been, I was prepared :-).

Up to now I am giving it 8 out of 10, I will give it the full top score when they sort out the bluetooth properly, I mean, It does work, but the phone book isn't loading properly, I  guess the next firmware update will fix that, fingers crossed.

Asa

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi A,

I was considering a GPS with reversing camera earlier in this thread but my new car has it built in  :D I have a small stand alone bluetooth module that clips on the sun visor but don't need that either now as new car has bluetooth built in as well... :rolleyes:

I find with most things that each brand has some good features and it would be nice to roll them all in together..My Mio had nicer looking maps and I liked the way the power stayed connected to the cradle all the time so when you hid it you didn't have to unclip AND disconnect the cable. On the other hand I like the way the Garmin switches itself on and off with the car...

Did you know if you press the speed readout in the bottom corner you get like a dashboard thing on the screen with a big speedo and other info on it  :mrgreen: When I am just driving around locally I use the GPS as a speed check although again I have cruise and a speed alert now so my gadgets are becoming redundant fairly quickly.. :'(

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Nope I didn't know that Dazzler, but I am sure gonna try it out tomorrow.... thanks for that I need all the help I can get figuring out techi stuff these days...   HAhahaha

Asa

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal