Advice/Opinions on best GPS to buy...

Dazzler · 63 · 10116

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I have a 21/2 Y/O Mio 520C GPS which I will be "throwing in" with my i30 if I sell her privately... It has a great 4.3 widescreen and is fairly user friendly..I like the split screen display which gives me a good size speed readout amongst other things...
I don't like the limited choice of voices for the text to speech and the battery life is poor (although better.. nearly an hour since battery replaced under warranty)

I am thinking about replacing the Mio when I get my new car later this year and want to go for a 4.3" again with similar features but more choice of voices and better battery life BUT i don't want to spend much more than A$250 as there seems to be a number of reasonable models around that figure.. I'm thinking Garmin or Tom Tom any comments welcomed (please clarify your reasoning) I found RYDA.com a good place to buy from last time..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline i30mania

• 3rd Gear

• tr Turkey
      Istanbul,Turkey

• Proud Owner Since 2007

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
I'm thinking Garmin or Tom Tom any comments welcomed (please clarify your reasoning) I found RYDA.com a good place to buy from last time..

If you use safety camera or other warnings for poi's then the latest TomTom's will not support them. TomTom have changed their policy in the last few months. It's the warning sounds they have stopped, not the display of poi's.

TomTom do have more map updates here in the UK than Garmin, but not sure how often maps are updated in AU.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Garmin 3790T  :idea:

Looks great but almost A$500 over here.. I have found models here www.ryda.com.au for around A$200 that will do everything I want (although may go to A$300 if necessary) I mainly use my GPS as a speed check (no cruise control) and don't even need bluetooth as I have a separate bluetooth module...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

If you use safety camera or other warnings for poi's then the latest TomTom's will not support them. TomTom have changed their policy in the last few months. It's the warning sounds they have stopped, not the display of poi's.

TomTom do have more map updates here in the UK than Garmin, but not sure how often maps are updated in AU.

Haven't had that feature before.. More interested in accurate maps, ease of use and a clear speed readout. Plus a "pleasant" voice on text to speech.. my best choice on the Mio is a fairly curt female with an american accent... :rolleyes: (no offence to our USA members)

I was looking at Tom Tom and it says 3 hours battery life  :eek: That would be very handy if walking around a mainland capital city (which we do from time to time) :cool:

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
I think that both TT and Garmin are good units. I would ask for a demo to see which menus you like the best. Both makes are well supported.

I use a web site and forum(member since 2004) here in the UK called pocketgpsworld(dot)com

You will find lots of info there if you are interested.

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
What about this ?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BRAND-NEW-MIO-MOOV-360-in-car-GPS-Free-2009-Mapping-/320521261524?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Electronics_GPS&hash=item4aa08e51d4

If you dont like the mio maps, you can install Miopocket on a SD card and install any WindowsCE based software you like.  If I was financial I'd buy one to see if I could hook up to the bluetooth dongle that hasnt arrived yet that Shambles seems to be having problems with.  Hope its not a dud product  :mad:

Offline Waja

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW, Australia

• Hyundai i30 CRDi '07 100,000km
Best comparison site I found was at http://gps.toptenreviews.com/navigation/ and then just search up the GPS using shopbot, staticice or ebay afterwards!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for all the suggestions so far (some great food for thought there) I was thinking at one stage about getting one that incorporates a wireless reversing camera  :idea: but don't know if any of the better brands do one (and would probably be dearer than I want to spend) :'(

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
Seems like a cheapy RPC made thing. It doesn't say what operating system and what kind of maps it has.

I use a Garmin Nuvi 205 3,5" for two years now.

Pros.: Cheap, navigation algorithm & features, maps (for Greece), free lifetime maps update (for Greece), map updates every 3 months (again for Greece), autonomy, good reception, you can record your own voice (i recorded my 8 yrs old son's voice  :D, lots of fun), plenty of customized vehicles on web (but no i30 yet :'().

Cons.: crappy graphics, slow processor, Garmin OS (doesn't accept maps other than these dedicated for Garmin PNAs)
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I would rather not go smaller than 4.3 but Garmin are a nice unit (I have had a play with one a m8 had)

I very nearly bought the 5" one on ebay with the reversing camera but you are probably right (you get what you pay for...)  :'(

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
If its a WinCE device with the sirf gps chip you should in theory be able to load igo8 onto it with the latest maps - all of which you purchase of course  :wink:  Thats why the Mio is good because of the SD card and the ability to run MioPocket on it - good quality hardware plus configurable software. 

http://netfresco.com/MioPocket/default.aspx

Note that it does not come with any commercial nav software, it just has the icons for when you install it after you buy it  :wink:

Downfall is it takes about 1 minute to boot up to windows desktop if you let it go flat or push the switch too far and shut it down totally, otherwise it wakes up straight into the nav software where you left off.

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Reading between the lines, the eBay ones use a demo of iGO that has been fixed so as it does not stop working after the demo period. As you have said, you get what you pay for.

I see the same unit on eBay for the UK with no camera for about £65. Not sure how that relates to AU$.

Take a risk  :lol:  Then we can ALL buy one if they work okay  :lol:  Only joking...

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I have a 21/2 Y/O Mio 520C GPS

Given the size of Tasie do you need one as you must have been down every road, nook and crany on the Island?

:lol:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hey Dazz, i've had a Garmin for a few years and never had the battery loose power yet.
it uses Jenifer Hawkin's to give dirrections :lol:
my maps need updating but they charge about $100 so not worth updating, the trip data and speedo read out are good easy to see & as far as i can tell it's accurate. it's a Nuvi 250W
cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey Dazz, i've had a Garmin for a few years and never had the battery loose power yet.
it uses Jenifer Hawkin's to give dirrections :lol:
my maps need updating but they charge about $100 so not worth updating, the trip data and speedo read out are good easy to see & as far as i can tell it's accurate. it's a Nuvi 250W
cheers

Jenifer Hawkin's eh... now your talkin' (does a picture of her come up on the screen when she says something?  :lol:)

I am familiar with that model (it is a lot like my Mio)   :cool:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I have a 21/2 Y/O Mio 520C GPS
Given the size of Tasie do you need one as you must have been down every road, nook and crany on the Island?
 :lol:

You are right Lester.. because I have lived or worked in almost every part of Tassie (and "investigated" the other parts) I very seldom need the search function here so mainly for speed function... But I do take it with me when I travel to the mainland and have used my MIO in Darwin, Perth Western Australia, Northern New South Wales and Melbourne (was a real life saver)  :D

Myown i30 ...I am still tempted to buy the 5" one with the reversing camera but don't really want to have to pay someone to install that part (I wonder how hard it is to install the wiring that detects when reverse is selected)

Ben, thanks for the info on Miopocket.. One of the reasons I was tempted by the Mio in the first place was the fact that it played MP3's and had other non GPS functions (Picture Viewer etc) but due to the poor battery life not so good in practice...

I'm really not one to fiddle with loading extra software to customise.. It is a shame I can't get a Mio or Garmin 4.3 to 5.0 inch with the reversing camera function (that is not more than say A$300 to A$350)

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

I would rather not go smaller than 4.3 but Garmin are a nice unit (I have had a play with one a m8 had)

I very nearly bought the 5" one on ebay with the reversing camera but you are probably right (you get what you pay for...)  :'(

Nuvi 205W is 4,5". Same pros. and cons. as nuvi 205 and i think is fairly cheap.

(Without taking into account the main features)
I dislike:
Graphics, slow proccessing.

I like (having some fun):
http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/us/ontheroad/voicestudio#fragment-3
http://www8.garmin.com/vehicles/bundles/allvehicles.html
http://www.vehiclesforgarminnuvi.com/

EDIT: Nuvi 205 & 205W isn't available at AUS.

Offline Wheelchair

• 1st Gear
I have a Garmin nuvi 205W and it's superb. Never makes a mistake and re-routing is almost instant.

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sounds like I better get a Garmin or TT OR if I get anything else and have problems I better keep my mouth shut  :-[

Thanks for the links babis... If I get a garmin they will be handy.. :mrgreen:

Offline reecho

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Get either TomTom or Garmin......they are easy to get map updates at the right price... :D

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

If you have plenty of time to loose with zero-sum as return, try googling for "Car Pc" or "Carputer". I did and finally thought that mounting a netbook or even a laptop on the dashboard would be easier, cheaper and mostly neat :rolleyes:

Found this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-2-4G-Wireless-Rearview-Backup-Waterproof-IR-Camera-/320558237227?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa2c2862b
Looks good (if it really works with a single GPS unit)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Another good find Babis... My options are growing  :mrgreen:

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Drivin' round Melbournes SE 'burbs in a Black SLX
Personally I'm usually a map man.
Never really used a GPS at all.
Only one I have is on my push bike (Garmin), and that is a data logger anyhoo not really used as a guidance tool - the newer version is a mapping/guidance device though.

I've have been toying with the idea of getting one though recently......

Will be watching this thread with interest though.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Clackerz .. The ones with an instant speed readout are a handy heads up display tool to keep an eye on your speed.

The "text to speech feature" where a voice calls out directions is terrific when in you are in a strange city.. My Mio was GR8 in Melbourne late last year it got me around all over Melbourne in a rent-a-car avoiding all the toll ways  :D

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Personally I'm usually a map man.
Never really used a GPS at all.
Only one I have is on my push bike (Garmin), and that is a data logger anyhoo not really used as a guidance tool - the newer version is a mapping/guidance device though.

I've have been toying with the idea of getting one though recently......

Will be watching this thread with interest though.
im in the same boat,my satnav is my passenger holding a street directory.  :lol: :rolleyes:  but sometimes the wife will use the satnav in her mobile phone.it does the job for now.  :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

O/K thanks for the help everyone...

I decided on this Garmin one ...for about A$306 delivered with free pouch and screen saver..

http://www.ryda.com.au/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=NUVI1390T&Show=TechSpecs

Then saw this one for only about $27 more...(with voice control which is a great safety feature)

http://www.ryda.com.au/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=GO750

Problem is I like the fact Garmin has lots of free down loads to customise and it is about a centimetre thinner and might just have a bit better battery life by the look of it..

I am thinking the Garmin will be better if I want to use it when walking around...

Thoughts please...before I order one or the other  :mrgreen:

P.S. I don't want to go any bigger or won't fit in my pocket...

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal