i30 Owners Club

HOW TO: UPGRADE YOUR GD-01/GD-02 TO A GD-03 HEAD UNIT STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE

VTH · 476 · 230881

Offline slick

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Trying to source the GD-03 unit is becoming harder with lots of GD-01 headunits now approaching max life expectancy :)

I actually had the GD-01 headunit replaced under warranty for Bluetooth problems and audio cutting out occasionally. But in the last 2 months, it started again. First lost FM radio, lost all radio and finally in the last week lost all Audio (Bluetooth/CD). It also often freezes. I pulled it apart hoping the connections were perhaps loose and it all looks fine. Really struggled to remove the screws - Hyundai technicians must have wanted to ensure the headunit will never ever be removed from the car. I needed a cordless drill driver to do it.

If none of the wreckers have this GD-03 unit what are the other options for retaining steering wheel controls and Android Auto + Carplay? I don't want to spend too much but clearly another GD-01 unit is a total waste of money. I don't think they are worth $50
  • 2012 i30 CRDi Active Hatch (GD) + 2015 i30 CRDi Elite Tourer (GD)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Trying to source the GD-03 unit is becoming harder with lots of GD-01 headunits now approaching max life expectancy :)

I actually had the GD-01 headunit replaced under warranty for Bluetooth problems and audio cutting out occasionally. But in the last 2 months, it started again. First lost FM radio, lost all radio and finally in the last week lost all Audio (Bluetooth/CD). It also often freezes. I pulled it apart hoping the connections were perhaps loose and it all looks fine. Really struggled to remove the screws - Hyundai technicians must have wanted to ensure the headunit will never ever be removed from the car. I needed a cordless drill driver to do it.

If none of the wreckers have this GD-03 unit what are the other options for retaining steering wheel controls and Android Auto + Carplay? I don't want to spend too much but clearly another GD-01 unit is a total waste of money. I don't think they are worth $50
Stanvac Korean auto wreckers are who I usually recommend, if they don't have any then searching all Hyundai wreckers Australia wide is the next step, you'll require the interconnecting USB lead and AUX/USB module as well for the complete changeover.

Offline briskoonie08

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Australia
Hey Guys,

So I managed to finally source a GD-03 from a wreckers on the West side of Melbourne. $200 to come and pull it out myself which was a brilliant deal. It had seen a bit of sun but was in good nick overall and had a go installing him over the weekend.

Did everything including the wiring for the reverse camera and it works brilliantly. Still having a few issues with the passenger side 12V socket which has been dead for some time now but fuses and relays are all good and I even swapped out one from the same wreck but still dead. Any suggestions or help will be appreciated.

Also side note, does anyone else notice the sticker on the Aux/USB port from the GD-03  :lol:

Very happy overall with the install, was super easy with the instructions from this thread. The link for the firmware upgrade didn't work for me but little bit of a google search got me another link which came with a pdf of instructions so the upgrade for android play was pretty simple too.

There are a few different Gd-03 units I came across, at the time I was looking to buy there were 3 available but they are going fast it seems. I found looking for a 2015 i30 wreck yielded the best chance of finding one rather then looking for a GD-03 specifically but not sure if all of them have one.

Yanked mine out of this bad boy with some acrobatics  :wink:

• 2013 GD SE 3 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt, Manual, Silver

Offline briskoonie08

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Australia
For anyone in Australia looking for a GD-03 Unit. There is 3 wrecks in  Melbourne at the moment all with their units intact. Wiring and everything should still be there unless some loot goblin has taken them. Found them on facbook marketplace under "2015 i30 Wreck"
  • 2013 GD SE 3 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt, Manual, Silver

Offline slick

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Found one on ebay (ultimatejap was the seller - wrecker in Smithfield NSW) but got snapped up before I hit buy :(

It was $420 inclusive of postage with the USB cable + AUX/USB assembly so not as good value as the $200 come get it out yourself deal...

Found a great deal on a new Pioneer SPH-DA250DAB imported from Amazon UK so I might spend a bit more but get something new... I think DAB would also be cool to have but it's def a bit more expensive once you get the fascia and extra adaptors necessary

Offline slick

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Has anyone here had recent dealings with Stanvac Korean auto wrecker? I've emailed them and got a quote of $550 + $35 postage. This is a "changeover" price so they pay postage for me to send them my old headunit. Seems nice and convenient except it's the highest price I've ever seen... :faint:

Is it that hard to sources these units atm? I was sure the price would be a bit lower than the ebay stuff I've seen around $400-$420.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Has anyone here had recent dealings with Stanvac Korean auto wrecker? I've emailed them and got a quote of $550 + $35 postage. This is a "changeover" price so they pay postage for me to send them my old headunit. Seems nice and convenient except it's the highest price I've ever seen... :faint:

Is it that hard to sources these units atm? I was sure the price would be a bit lower than the ebay stuff I've seen around $400-$420.
They must be getting rarer now, Stanvac's were $400 six months to a year ago and about $350 when I purchased mine a few years ago.

No changeover back then either.

Offline Gumby

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Signed up to give a big thanks to the OP.  Brilliant instructions.  GD-01 died in the i30 a few months ago, took a while to find a unit.

Found one on ebay (ultimatejap was the seller - wrecker in Smithfield NSW) but got snapped up before I hit buy

It was $420 inclusive of postage with the USB cable + AUX/USB assembly so not as good value as the $200 come get it out yourself deal...

That was me  :whistler: Have been looking on and off for a while, when I saw it with cable and plug I jumped on it!
  • i30

Offline winterfruit

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Massive thank you to VTH. Guide was easy to follow.

Managed to snag one from Aus Auto Parts in Laverton. It seems they usually cut the cables, including the USB but if you ask nicely they may have one available.

All up was a steal at $375, compared to the $450-500 I was seeing elsewhere.
  • 2014 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.8L, Auto, Silver

Offline sn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth n.o.r.
dealings with Stanvac?  This is a "changeover" price so they pay postage for me to send them my old headunit.

Any idea why they want the dodgy GD-01 head units??
It makes it sound like they are repairable ??
  • 2013 gd wagon, petrol /auto

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
dealings with Stanvac?  This is a "changeover" price so they pay postage for me to send them my old headunit.

Any idea why they want the dodgy GD-01 head units??
It makes it sound like they are repairable ??
They are repairable, about $600 the last time I'd heard of one being done.

There will always be people that prefer to stick with the standard system, crazy init :crazy1:

Offline sn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth n.o.r.
At that price mine aint getting repaired any time soon...

our GD01 dashboard filler died a couple of days ago - looks like I am one of the many either looking for a good GD03, or an aftermarket replacement.
  • 2013 gd wagon, petrol /auto

Offline biggerz

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
G'day all,

I have sourced a GD-03 from an interstate wrecker to be mailed to me to do the upgrade. I have asked if the AUX/USB jack assembly and USB lead are able to be included too and was advised that I would need to remove it myself as it is a big job.

Is someone able confirm/deny this please?
  • 2014 Hyundai i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
G'day all,

I have sourced a GD-03 from an interstate wrecker to be mailed to me to do the upgrade. I have asked if the AUX/USB jack assembly and USB lead are able to be included too and was advised that I would need to remove it myself as it is a big job.

Is someone able confirm/deny this please?
Once the head unit and aircon is out (15minutes) it’s only a 5 minute job to get the AUX module out with USB lead intact.

Offline jprice46

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Qld

• 2015 i30 (with a mostly functional GD-03)
afternoon all,

This thread and the photo's are dead set legendary.  I'm 90% thru doing a gd-02 to gd-03 upgrade.  However I've hit a snag and couldn't find any clues in the impressive thread history. 

Short version, the usb port has no voltage or connectivity.

Long version. 
If I'm reading it right, its a plug-n-play job providing you have the usb cable and you tuck the old aux-cable into the dash void.  I'm stuck whereby the usb port won't energise.  The multimeter says the 4 cores on the aux-usb cable are solid, but when I turn on the radio there's no voltage present.  As a result the firmware upgrade and apple carplay won't start.  It feels like there's a fuse blown, or the usb port on the gd-03 is blown.   I tried getting the multimeter probes onto the gd-03 pin's, but my eyesight and dexterity are not up to the job while its half hanging out of the dash.

I also tried with the air-con panel back on and engine running, just in case it was some other logic/power quirk going on.  Sadly no go.

Any suggestions from the brains trust?

thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 05:42:32 by jprice46 »
  • 2015 i30

Offline biggerz

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Have just made the jump from my dead (12 months) GD-01 to the GD-03! Will be glad to see the back of my USB speaker!

Firstly, thanks to VTH for the in-depth tutorial! For someone not particularly mechanically minded, I was able to execute in a fairly reasonable time.

I do however, have some questions. I haven't installed the USB cable yet, still awaiting for that to arrive, so am unable to upgrade to the 2.05.10 firmware until then.

I didn't de-pin the A9 reverse camera wire and encountered the reverse screen pop up on first test of the unit. However, after turning on the lights and navigating away from the page, the reverse screen disappeared and has never been seen since. Has anyone had this? Is it a problem?

I noticed there is no backlighting appearing on the GD-03 buttons/dials, which i'm expecting they have? Could someone confirm they do have lights please and if something I haven't done is a contributing factor?

If the above problems never get fixed, I am still happy to say this is a major improvement and I have no regrets! Thanks for the thread guys and girls, unreal!

:happydance: :happydance: :) :)

• 2014 Hyundai i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I noticed there is no backlighting appearing on the GD-03 buttons/dials, which i'm expecting they have? Could someone confirm they do have lights please and if something I haven't done is a contributing factor?
The dials and buttons have blue backlighting when the driving lights are turned on, I wouldn't know why your one doesn't light up though.

Offline biggerz

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

The dials and buttons have blue backlighting when the driving lights are turned on, I wouldn't know why your one doesn't light up though.
[/quote]

Turns out it does have the backlighting, but depending how high the illumination is set it can actually turn them off (I think the 3 highest settings).
  • 2014 Hyundai i30

Offline 2_i30_2_furious

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Hi everyone,

I've owned a 2013 model i30 for a while and have been following this thread, particularly in the last 4 months as my GD01 gradually died. This week I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade - thank you so much to the OP for the writeup, as well as everyone else who has contributed. Here's my experience if it helps anyone:

I tried to find some local wreckers, but no one had a new enough i30 in stock. I then went to eBay, and searching 'GD-03' turned up plenty of parts. I noticed that most of them were in the $350-$400 range plus postage, with the cables cut - prices are definitely increasing as more GD01 units fails. I found a GD03 non-sat nav unit for $400 + $20 postage which included the USB cable and the AUX/USB facing. When I was weighing up my options, I noticed that one other seller had this for sale separately at $85 (they had the GD03 for $350 from memory). What a rip off! Although I paid more than the $200 odd I'm seeing in this thread, I thought I got a pretty good deal.

Installation itself was smooth, following the directions in the OP was very easy. The only hiccup I had was trying to de-pin the yellow and black cable. I thought I could do it, but struggled for about 15 minutes trying to figure out the lever system before I simply cut the wire and insulated the ends with tape. This did not affect the operability of the unit.

I then upgraded the firmware to the 2.05.10 version, and I now have an i30 with a much more modern looking interior!

Thanks again forum for all your help, I've never done any work on a car like this before and am pretty clueless about them :) now that I've succeeded in this maybe I should move on to trying to DIY supercharge it in my garage???
  • i30

Offline jprice46

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Qld

Thinking and hoping that it was a faulty GD-03, the ebay seller (kudo's to ultimatejap) agreed to replace the unit.  I installed the new unit today and the exact same fault condition exists, USB devices inserted into the port are not recognised (or energised), and if I pull out the multimeter I'm not picking up any voltage directly of the head-unit pins. 

Am I missing something where I need to "turn on" the gd-03 usb-aux port?  I tried de-pinning the aux-detect cable, no joy.   This unit is a higher firmware rev where it has android auto in the menu, and I tried turning AA on/off, similar no joy.

The unit is installed in a 2015 i30 Active which had a GD-02
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 10:03:16 by jprice46 »
  • 2015 i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Thinking and hoping that it was a faulty GD-03, the ebay seller (kudo's to ultimatejap) agreed to replace the unit.  I installed the new unit today and the exact same fault condition exists, USB devices inserted into the port are not recognised (or energised), and if I pull out the multimeter I'm not picking up any voltage directly of the head-unit pins. 

Am I missing something where I need to "turn on" the gd-03 usb-aux port?  I tried de-pinning the aux-detect cable, no joy.   This unit is a higher firmware rev where it has android auto in the menu, and I tried turning AA on/off, similar no joy.

The unit is installed in a 2015 i30 Active which had a GD-02
You've got me stumped :Dunno: not a problem I've seen or heard of before.

Are you positive you've followed the OP's installation instructions correctly...De pinned or cut the A9 wire and not one of the other wires :undecided:

Offline jprice46

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Qld

Afternoon Craig.  Yep followed the spec.  Up until yesterday and the 2nd headunit I'd not de-pinned anything.  Just now I tried de-pinning A9 (reverse cam) and that gave me no reverse cam (we have one) and no usb.  At a minimum it confirms I yanked the correct cable. 

The only obvious thing is the new B16 Speed cable.  Its pinned on the original wiring loom.  I tried de-pinning it, no joy.  (and I know I got the right cable because first time round I inverted the picture, de-pinned B4, and had no steering wheel controls)

1/ source a gd-03 + aux cable + aux module
2/ pull apart the dash
3/ if I do not have a reverse cam, de-pin A9 (I do have a cam)
4/ put it together leaving the original aux pin block unattached in the void
5/ get ready for a AAuto/ACarplay happy dance (and firmware updates)

I should be able to detect a static 5V voltage on the usb pins right?  They always read 0.0VDC. 

I swear it feels like radio is making the logic decision based upon the inputs, that a AUX-USB moduel does not exist, so don't energise the on-board port.
  • 2015 i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Very strange how yours is acting :confused: Is it possible there's a missing fuse under the dash :undecided: I'm assuming both A and B blocks are plugged into the head unit firmly, I think the USB lead only connects one way.

If you press the Media button do the AUX and USB options display...looking in there myself and I don't see any options to enable the USB module though.

Offline Divv

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      SA
Does anyone know what AUX/USB Jack assembly is required for the GD-03 model. I have purchased a GD-03 aftermarket headunit to put in my 2012 GD i30 which currently has a GD-01 in it.

When they sent the headunit they didnt send anything with it except for the headunit. What do I need and where can i buy the rest of the cabling required?

Thanks
  • 2012 GD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel, 1.6T, Manual, Tropic Red, Hyundai i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Does anyone know what AUX/USB Jack assembly is required for the GD-03 model. I have purchased a GD-03 aftermarket headunit to put in my 2012 GD i30 which currently has a GD-01 in it.

When they sent the headunit they didnt send anything with it except for the headunit. What do I need and where can i buy the rest of the cabling required?

Thanks
You'll need the interconnecting USB lead and the USB/AUX module pictured in the first post of this topic.

You'll have to track the pieces down via a wrecker or last option is to order them through Hyundai service an parts.

Offline Maximus12234

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Hi Guys,

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, you have given me the confidence to attempt this on my own.

I have a GD-01 head unit at the moment, and am looking at upgrading to the GD-03 for that sweet sweet carplay.

Today i bought the GD-03, with the AUX/USB assembly, and the USB cable. I have overthought this process and worried myself so need a question answered.

Apart from the USB cable, should i have bought my head unit with any other cables? or do the old cables plug into the new unit? (apart from the new USB cable, of course)
  • i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I have overthought this process and worried myself so need a question answered.

Apart from the USB cable, should i have bought my head unit with any other cables? or do the old cables plug into the new unit? (apart from the new USB cable, of course)
:wttc: Maximus12234, nothing else needed mate :goodjob2:

Offline Maximus12234

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Thanks!

Just wanted to clarify that the A9 de-pinning was taking place on the old head unit cable, and not some extra part that came with the new head unit.

Will update the thread with my progress!
  • i30 2012

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal