i30 Owners Club

Dash illumination without turning headlights on? (FD)

DCSY · 14 · 4181

Offline DCSY

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney NSW
Hi guys,

Did anyone ever figure out a way to turn the dashboard lights without turning the headlights/park lights on? Was driving earlier today and struggled to see the speedo in certain lighting conditions.

Cheers
  • I30, 2.0 petrol, cw

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
As far as I know you can't, park lights minimum are needed, pretty sure it's the same with all vehicles :undecided:

Offline DCSY

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney NSW
:link: 2011 ET Instrument cluster backlighting - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum

Supposedly this guy figured it out. I might have a gander in the morning. There are pictures of wiring diagrams and what not but I’m on mobile so can’t post them just yet. Also, they’re ina different language.
  • I30, 2.0 petrol, cw

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Well anything is possible if your looking at a hack/rewiring of the instrument cluster, my comment was referring to standard options...good luck with it :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi guys,

Did anyone ever figure out a way to turn the dashboard lights without turning the headlights/park lights on? Was driving earlier today and struggled to see the speedo in certain lighting conditions.

Cheers

They did change it for the series 2 and 3. That was one of the few poor design features of the series one. I often drove our 2 x series one cars with the lights on for that reason.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline DCSY

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney NSW
Cheers!

I thought I saw a thread on here years ago about someone trying but couldn’t find it for the life of me...

And yeah I think it was a stupid oversight...
  • I30, 2.0 petrol, cw

Offline DCSY

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney NSW
UPDATE:

Followed instructions from the other forum. GREAT SUCCESS.

Spliced the salmon pink wire on plug B to a reddish orange wire on plug C at position three and I now have illumination when key is in on position regardless of headlights. Lights all tested and working.

Time to solder this in properly and heat shrink it
  • I30, 2.0 petrol, cw

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

UPDATE:

Spliced the salmon pink wire on plug B to a reddish orange wire on plug C at position three and I now have illumination when key is in on position regardless of headlights. Lights all tested and working.

Time to solder this in properly and heat shrink it.

Excellent! I might move this to the car mods section and sticky it.  :cool:

If you can add photos when you solder and heat sink it that would be great!

Offline DCSY

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney NSW
Sorry, forgot to take pics when I did it :(
  • I30, 2.0 petrol, cw

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sorry, forgot to take pics when I did it :(

No probs...

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
As far as I know you can't, park lights minimum are needed, pretty sure it's the same with all vehicles :undecided:

Actually most now come on with the car. It is the reson you see so many newer cars getting around with their headlights off at night in city areas. The dash is lit up and they can see from the street lights.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Actually most now come on with the car. It is the reson you see so many newer cars getting around with their headlights off at night in city areas. The dash is lit up and they can see from the street lights.

Yeah, it's a real trap when you have auto lights in your car. They turn them off when i have a service and I invariably end up driving around without lights the first time I need them after the service. Same with my corolla rental car in Perth. I kept forgetting to turn them on. In the end I was turning them on early so I didn't forget!  :sweating:

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
UPDATE:

Time to solder this in properly and heat shrink it

Did you have any issues in doing it? I wanted to test this out but not permanently so I used a short piece of solid strand coated wire to bridge the two wires together instead of cutting the wires and splicing in another wire.

I found that now the dash lights are illuminated when the key is in regardless of the position of the light switch, but this has also turned my park lights on both front and back. Later today we went to the mall and I had my lights set to Auto, and upon returning when I unlocked the car with the remote the lights all came on normally, except the idiot lights on the dash also illuminated as if the key was in the ignition barrel and turned to ON :scared:

I found this out when I pressed the lock button on the remote and the car refused to lock. Only when I got closer I saw that all the lights were illuminated. I opened the door and turned the light selector switch back to OFF and then the entire dash lights went out and after closing the door the car locked fine. Very strange.
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Not so strange. It's not just a matter of voltage over solid wires any more but sequence of logic states confusing your BCM.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal