i30 PD active LED headlights

nogun · 275 · 56049

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I had similar challenges adapting my LED combo DRL blinkers. I managed to find a couple of big rubber washers and then kept the bases pressed in place with cantilevers made of coat hanger wire.

:link: 2x B15S 42-LED Car Dual-Color Switchback White DRL Yellow Turn Signal Light ! | eBay

Since heat is not an issue in my case, the next version adapter will be built on my future 3D printer.  :D

:link: 2019 Anet A8 ONE/Two Color 3d Printer Prusa i3 ONE / Dual Extruder 22*22*24 lot | eBay
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Dantrasy
Didn’t you get the same adapters as Brendon? He hasn’t mentioned them not fitting correctly  :confused:

Not sure. Maybe @BrendonL is yet to discover this. Or maybe the go headlight fitting is slightly different to the n line.

I'm going to check Bunnings for a metal washer. 19mm inside diameter.

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
Mine are the same the lights only just sit in the adapter any slight pressure on the back of the bulb like snapping it into the connector dislodges the bulb from the adapter. Iv put the leds on the back burner for now till I can figure something out but there not a high priority.
  • 2019 i30 go, manual, white

Dantrasy
A 49c M16 gal washer behind the adapter did the trick. It's about 2mm thick. I had to grind a tiny bit away to make the inside diameter a bit bigger.

This is a solid unit. Now I just have to tighten it with the leds at the right angle. That will be something for next weekend.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
I've run into a snag while trying to fit the lights. 

What you see below is the after market locking adapter with the H7 ring from the jw lights. The ring lightly snaps into place, but will fall out of place very easily.

When fitting into the car's housing the ring isn't pressed up against the car. There's a 2-3mm gap.

So when fitting everything in place the H7 ring shifts out of place and the light wobbles. 

it would seem the original halogen was held in place by the 2 prong electrical connection. The LED light is not held in place by the electrical connection.

Any ideas?

You have the same adaptors that I have.  Which I got from eBay: :link: 2pcs H7 LED Bulbs Clip Holder Adapters Retainer Fit for Hyundai Elantra Tucson | eBay

But for mine to fit correctly. I had to cut away some of the adaptors so the H7 ring that came with the LED's could fit flush with the adaptors.
Then I just glued them in with superglue. They now sit there nice & stuck.  Then I can place the adaptors into the light housing.
Then fit the LED globes till they click in.   I am using a different LED globes ATM which are 4 sided: :link: H7 CREE LED Car Headlight Hi or Low Beam Conversion Kit Bulbs 6500K 800W 80000LM | eBay
Which I do prefer the spread of light from..   Photos below of how the adaptors look after modifying, with the previous LED's

• PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Dantrasy
Nice work purplehaze.

I decided to test the drivers side (which is so much easier to access). The test shows I still have some working out to do.

Here at just the halogens:

And the JW bulb:

There's a void where the hot spot should be. Overall it looks wrong.

When fitted into the car you can easily see the prongs at the back. If they a perfectly vertical (one on top of the other) the leds will be firing left and right. So I think I got that part right.

Comparing the JW with the halogen the leds appears to be a little lower down. I think the whole led bulb needs to be further forwards 1-2mm. The only way to achieve that is to use a a much thinner washer.

Perhaps the Milo lid idea wasn't so crazy after all! 

Offline Haro

• 2nd Gear
Nice work lads.
I'm so glad someone else is going through this same mission haha.

I bought the NightEye branded LEDs as I've used them in other cars and they have been brilliant. They have little fans on the back.

I bought the same adaptors as listed above, then cut out the mid section to make the hole bigger to fit the rear cooling fins of the LED lamp. Then used the supplied locking ring to keep them in place.

Then the dustcover didn't fit so I have bought a pair of those universal slip on rubber boots that you can get online. Waiting for them to turn up.

For wiring, I just cut the old fitting off and attached some connectors to the wires which was simple enough.

The light spread is great on the passenger side but I think I may have misaligned the drivers side. So will work on that today as you can remove a screw on my lights and twist the led bit.

If they still look average I'm just buying some HIDS instead.

But as mentioned Ive used these in various cars so far and they have been great. Unsure why Hyundai needs to make life so difficult haha.
Sorry for lack of pics

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
Nice work purplehaze.

I decided to test the drivers side (which is so much easier to access). The test shows I still have some working out to do.

Here at just the halogens:

And the JW bulb:

There's a void where the hot spot should be. Overall it looks wrong.

When fitted into the car you can easily see the prongs at the back. If they a perfectly vertical (one on top of the other) the leds will be firing left and right. So I think I got that part right.

Comparing the JW with the halogen the leds appears to be a little lower down. I think the whole led bulb needs to be further forwards 1-2mm. The only way to achieve that is to use a a much thinner washer.

Perhaps the Milo lid idea wasn't so crazy after all!

I think you need to trim the adaptors like I have with mine.  As the LED is not going all the way into the projector housing.
The light spread on mine looks pretty good. Though I did have to raise the drivers side up. As it was to low.
I don't have a photo with my dual sided LED's. But this is with the 4 sided LED's I have in there now.

Dantrasy
@Purplehazeffc  is trimming the adapter designed to open it up to accommodate the heatsink.

With the JW bulbs, I have the opposite issue. The heatsink is small. It does not touch the rear of the adapter. That's why I added a metal washer.

the led test pic above has the leds firing left and right. And the led chips are almost in exactly the right spot (ideally they need to go forward 1-2mm). I'm surprised the result is so bad.

I believe the dark shape (where the hot spot should be) is the aluminum shaft of the led bulb. Unlike halogen, the led is not emitting light from the top/bottom, just left and right.

I next plan to simply hold the led bulb in place. Move it forward, back, twist left, right etc to see if I can get a proper spread of light. 

Offline quankino

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I had similar challenges adapting my LED combo DRL blinkers. I managed to find a couple of big rubber washers and then kept the bases pressed in place with cantilevers made of coat hanger wire.

:link: 2x B15S 42-LED Car Dual-Color Switchback White DRL Yellow Turn Signal Light ! | eBay

Since heat is not an issue in my case, the next version adapter will be built on my future 3D printer.  :D

:link: 2019 Anet A8 ONE/Two Color 3d Printer Prusa i3 ONE / Dual Extruder 22*22*24 lot | eBay

Does it turn out great? I want to do DRL in FD Trophy but couldn't find any suitable place to mount the aftermarket kit. This can be a great alternative.
  • 2011 Hyundai i30 FD Trophy Auto

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
Not to accommodate the heatsink no..   It's the way both of my LED's fit into the adaptors that come with the globes.
The double sided ones shown above. Have a ball bearing that clips into the adaptor that holds it in place.
That is then the piece that I then superglued to the PD adaptors I got from eBay. I did get a full spread of light from my dbl sided globes.
I'll get a photo tonight & post up in here.

With the 4 sides globes. The globe has little nubs on them that twist into the adaptors that I have also glued to the eBay adaptors.
Again I'll grab a photo of what they look like..

I have to agree, Hyundai with this design of globe fitment has made it not that easy to fit LED's in..
At this stage, Unless you get the kit from Cherry. You pretty have to make up something to fit them in..

I see your in Perth, not sure how close we are. But I'm more than happy for you to try my LED's

I think as your adaptors that came with the globes were to fit flush, And not like they are ATM. As there is the gap between the 2 adaptors.

They would fit better & would more than likely improve the spread of light.

Dantrasy
oh, I see. Thanks. I never would have thought of that.

In that case I'll add one more test - flip the H7 ring around so it's flat on top. 

Yes, I'm in Perth, SoR, near Safety Bay freeway exit.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Quote from: Dantrasy on 52 minutes  ago
Right near me

Only the best people live South of the River  :whistler: or maybe it is because the Southern Councils cant afford street lights and that's really why we all need better LED headlights  :twisted:
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
oh, I see. Thanks. I never would have thought of that.

In that case I'll add one more test - flip the H7 ring around so it's flat on top. 

Right near me :)

Slightly North from me.

Mandurah

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland

This is how mine turned out. Dodgy install until I can do a proper one on the weekend.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Is that high or low beam  on the road ?
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

Does it turn out great? I want to do DRL in FD Trophy but couldn't find any suitable place to mount the aftermarket kit. This can be a great alternative.
Good enough to be permanent. I'll post pictures on the weekend. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

This is how mine turned out. Dodgy install until I can do a proper one on the weekend.
Looks good :goodjob2: do you remember what angle/rotation are the bulbs set at? will save me some time when I install mine :)

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland

Looks good :goodjob2: do you remember what angle/rotation are the bulbs set at? will save me some time when I install mine :)
My leds are pointing left and right.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland

Dantrasy
@BrendonL  looks good.

How did you attach the bulb to the adapter?

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
@BrendonL  looks good.

Old superglue I just glued the h7 ring to the adapter. I doubt it’ll hold for long so I plan on trying some high temp cold weld from supercheap on the weekend.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@BrendonL  looks good.

Old superglue I just glued the h7 ring to the adapter. I doubt it’ll hold for long so I plan on trying some high temp cold weld from supercheap on the weekend.

Loctite 401 or 406 are like super glue but more permanent...  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Dantrasy
@BrendonL  looks good.

Ok, thanks.

I’m going to keep trying the washer mod. Just need to find the right thickness so the chips are in the correct spot in the housing.

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
@BrendonL  looks good.

Loctite 401 or 406 are like super glue but more permanent...  :cool:
Do you think the leds would get hot enough to melt the loctite?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal