Car Radio

AlanHo · 7 · 1639

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Am I the only one here who has had a car for 3 years, done 25,000 miles (40,000 km) and probably spent getting on 1000 hours in the car without ever, not once, used the radio or played music via my phone or memory stick.  Neither have I used the Android app to link the phone to the cars media player or display.

I just don't like listening to music or radio chat in a car.  Also, I am quite happy to use the car's sat nav. I consider using a phone connected to the display is dangerous because you have to do everything using the touch screen.

Some late model cars - like the newer Niro's don't have a built-in sat-nav, you are forced to use a phone. I will not buy one of those on principle.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Conversely, I drove a newish VW Passat hire car around Canberra (on business) and the built-in satnav was utter rubbish. I had to use the phone for much fresher information. :Dunno:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I find the phone connected navigation far better than built in satav's, more up to date - more choice of map providers.

Voice recognition for music - calls - messaging and maps is pretty handy :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :whsaid: with Android Auto you can just say ok google and in the Camry it has actually been working faultlessly. Was patchy in the SR but maybe some recent app updates fixed it?  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
My car is designed to use a smartphone and has a special holder for that very purpose.  With regards to using switches et al, you have to use the toggles provided on the dash (it is illegal to touch the phone whilst driving).  My phone connects via USB to the cars onboard ECU and can do all the engine information on the move as well as giving me a wide selection of navigation software UI's.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Want music - cue the 16g stick.
Phone via BT.
Nav either via on board (Santa) or TomTom ( Kona).
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I certainly don't listen to music as much as I used to in the car or elsewhere. I found I did listen to it a bit more when I had the Calais with multiple Bose speakers  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal