i30 Owners Club

Acceleration Hiccup

Rasp · 8 · 3720

Offline Rasp

• 1st Gear
Hello all, new to i30s (manual SLX 1.6CRDI) but loving everything so far except ...

When I accelerate up through second gear, at around 40 km/hr there is a hiccup (loss of power) for an instant.  I took it back to the dealer and they said there is nothing wrong with it. It is intermittent but definitely happens once or twice in a 20 minute trip. For some reason it is only second gear, even though I usually push third gear harder than second.

If it was my old car I would think I had a dodgy lead or something?

Anyone had a similar issue?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Rasp and Welcome to the club..

One or two members have mentioned that hesitation before but I cant remember if or how it was resolved..

Hopefully they will spot this thread and help us out...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

ouri30
Hello all, new to i30s (manual SLX 1.6CRDI) but loving everything so far except ...

When I accelerate up through second gear, at around 40 km/hr there is a hiccup (loss of power) for an instant.  I took it back to the dealer and they said there is nothing wrong with it. It is intermittent but definitely happens once or twice in a 20 minute trip. For some reason it is only second gear, even though I usually push third gear harder than second.

If it was my old car I would think I had a dodgy lead or something?

Anyone had a similar issue?

These are my thoughts:

I have experienced something like this once or twice, before the engine warms up, but not after.  I drive very smoothly and with minimal acceleration until the engine is warm.  I thought initially it was connected with the 2900rpm limit issue, but it is not.

Also, the dead spot some have reported can be avoided by keeping revs in the optimum range, 1900-2750rpm (maximum torque range).  I know the engine is fine from around 1600rpm, but if you want the power, go higher.  But, you are not going to get the most from this performance until the engine is warm, so take it steady and smooth until the engine has warmed up.

Bob

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

When I accelerate up through second gear, at around 40 km/hr there is a hiccup (loss of power) for an instant. 

Welcome Rasp.

I had something similar and when I mentioned it to the dealer they sorted it.  I think I posted it in a thread on the site.
Don't exactly know what they did but I did see them plug it into their box of tricks.  Probably altered a setting.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Rasp

• 1st Gear
Thanks for the replies.

I have tried going easier on it while cold yesterday and today and I have not noticed the problem.

I'll try that for a while and see how it goes.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for the replies.

I have tried going easier on it while cold yesterday and today and I have not noticed the problem.

I'll try that for a while and see how it goes.

It might go anyway when the car is a bit more run in .. hopefully  :razz:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Pip
I'm of the opinion that you should not wait and see "if it goes away" after the engine has loosened but having said that I would not push the point with the dealer either.

Make your point with the dealer first and then it's registered.  Then sit on it until and unless you decide you have a real problem.

The power curve of the diesel is surprisingly odd in that it has little to offer before 1500 RPM and then between there and about 2000 RPM or so it ramps up enormously requiring a back-off of the accelerator to avoid an unexpected and unwanted thrust forward.  Once you learn to control the right foot (to overcome what appears to be a less than optimum - for smooth driving - ECU program) you may find the particular problem you have disappears...  mine does not have the problem you report FWIW or perhaps I have just adjusted as I suggest.

Second gear will be most likely to show any lack of smoothness as you move through the rev range because first is not really used apart from getting rolling and with each subsequent gear having less and less torque available this leaves second gear with the most (felt) torque and thus the most sensitive to power discontinuities.

ouri30
Well said Pip. 

You have said what I have been thinking so well.  I guess after 54 000km, I have learned to drive to the strengths (and weaknesses) of the car.  I like the way it drives, but it does take a little getting used to.  Interestingly enough, my wife has adjested to it quickly as well.

Bob

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal