i30 Owners Club

Exhaust Smoke Worry? - 2.0 diesel...

i30manUK · 21 · 11460

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
As some of you know, I'm new to diesel, so I want to know if I should be concerned or not...

I drove behind the i30 this morning and was disturbed to see smoke coming from the exhaust every time it accelerated. The car is almost new. Is this normal or should I call the dealer? Obviously it's not visible when you'r driving the car, so has anyone else driven behind their diesel and noticed the same thing?

G

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I've seen smoke once, in my rear view mirror, when I was joining a motorway and I floored the pedal. I haven't had anyone else drive Fergie yet, never mind drive behind her.

I often see diesel whisp on other cars - even new ones - when they're starting an overtaking manoeuvre on the motorways; I wouldn't be too concerned.

PS, it's my first diesel too.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Should be O/K M8.. My wife has followed me a few times and commented that I need to give up smoking ... (apparently it's only when I change gears and accellerate..)

If it was using oil I'd be worried ... but haven't had to put a drop in except at the 7500 oil change...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Is it more noticable when cold?
If so then I would presume OK as the engine is not working at optimum temperature so you will probably get unspent fuel in system.
But if when hot may be a problem
(ps I'm not technically minded so only my hunch)

Try this if you dare.
When warm let it idle then get someone to sit in car and floor the thottle.

At rear look to see what comes out of the exhaust.  
If wisp of smoke presume OK but if alot and leaves carbon on floor visit dealer for opinion.

Also, came across this on a Kia Cee'd forum (same platform as i30)
http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-ceed-foru ... aust+smoke

Also, came across this but it's for a Tucson but may help.
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php ... aust+smoke
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Thanks for the thoughts guys - anyone else got a view?

Offline encountar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith
Mate I drive my i30 pretty hard, got 3,500 k's on it now and i see a fair cloud of smoke in my rearview when its lit up by the car followings me headlights.

(on a side not i love the torque of the car, first diesel ever and its just so fun to drive through traffic everything is just easy for it)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
M8, i don't look back , unless i'm checking whats behind me, but diesel is oil or has an oil content, if it is black smoke just means you are useing the throtle as that is how diesel's work more fuel they go faster, so if you put a lot of fuel in they will blow black smoke, but as they warm up as eye said they don't blow as much smoke. the large diesel truck's i sometimes drive blow a lot more smoke specially when cold. if its grey smoke it's oil burning if its black its just that you put your foot down, but the CPF would stop a lot of smoke, i think mine has one as i can't see smoke like i do driving the Truck, Dazz's on other hand has not got one :D  my friend said its a catalyst a CPF is a catalyst partical filter. if they blow a lot of smoke you would see black over the rear of your car as it sticks to the rear of the car, gets sucked back from vacume the trucks get black all over the roof

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Ok, now this has me confused.......

I do NOT see any smoke behind me when I give mine a boot. Only time I see anything come out of the exhaust is first thing in the morning, and until it warms up. (White vapor from condensation being warmed up and forced out as steam when the exhaust has been cold. Same as a petrol vehicle when first started in the morning.)

I've had 'she who must be obeyed' drive the beast, asked her on the 2-way to give it a boot (She did all the way to the governor  :?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thumper, mine seems like what you have described, i have never followed my car while someone was driving it except the day we picked it up and someone from the dealer sure had it moving quick but could not see smoke, a friend followed me in a new corolla i asked hi he said he did not see any smoke eather. the guy that done my pipe said it's a cataylist. who knows/ maybe we need to look at the model that Hyundai say is the only diesel in australia they have that uses one and see if it is same as what we have on our pipe.

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Lakes I am wondering if the first batch of Diesels that arrived in Australia actually had a DPF fitted.  :shock:

I'll ask the dealer I purchased mine from when I get the 15,000 service done. (And have a look at the SantaFe diesel's DPF)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

This is an extract from the Aussie i30 brochure (the wording about "EURO IV emission technologies" is interesting)

Offline TheBunyip

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Hi Again,

Still waiting for someone  like Thumper or Lakes or someone who has a need to remove that rear section of the Australian Diesel exhaust and probe/photograph the inside of that box that could be a DPF.

I find it hard to accept that a car that meets EURO4 emission standards in Europe with a DPF and in Australia without one can turn in virtually identical readings for particle emission on the same standard test.

I live in hope that someone will put me out of my misery. :cry:

On the other hand could it be that Thumper has guessed correctly and the first batch did come with DPFs and met EURO4 but later ones do not. I would loose a lot of faith in Hyundai Australia and all their fancy words about Environmental Integrity if that were the case. I would rather see them ever so slightly embarrassed and admitting that the i30 does have a DPF after all.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Maybe our new member MARTIN can check that out with his new project (reckon they have the know how and resources to do that :!: )

I'll PM him...

This is what I said to Martin...

"Hi Martin,

Assume you've seen our threads about a Particulate Filter in the exhaust of the Aussie i30 (Hyundai say there isn't one)

While you are tweaking the "beast" any chance of checking to see what the canister in front of the front muffler is... please

Rgds,

Dazz

Many of the members believe Hyundai may have given us a bum steer..."

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

MARTIN SAYS.... HE SURE WILL  :D

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
i don't think mine is a DPF, i think its a CPF my manual say's with CPF or without CPF, the part i think is a CPF looks like a Cat converter i have been checking in rear view mirror can't see smoke.

Offline i30cruzer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
CAn i ask what the power figures are coming out of the 2.0 CRDi in the UK?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Hi i30cruzer,

Here is the HY Uk home page and all models listed:

http://www.hyundai.co.uk/

and the techincal page for i30:

http://www.hyundai.co.uk/newCars/i30/technical/

Hope this helps.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Quote from: "i30cruzer"
CAn i ask what the power figures are coming out of the 2.0 CRDi in the UK?

The official figure is 140bhp - and just to let you know, my wife's car no longer emits smoke - maybe it was just a new engine bedding in?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
i30manUK, good to see you back, and nice to know no smoke now.
Dazz did Martin ever tell you in his i30's had CPF's?

Offline TheBunyip

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Hi D-D,

Hope you have an answer for Lakes. The suspense of waiting to find out if the i30 in Australia has a particulate filter of some kind that enables it to deliver the claimed EURO4 emission standards is very frustrating. Would it be too much to hope that the  coming upgrade to add  CC, ESC etc., will also include the EURO5 standard that will be required in Europe in the new year.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sorry guys but Martin didn't ever get back to us with a definitive answer about the CPF :(

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal