i30 Owners Club

Hyundai i30 stop lights problem

Offline Bob Bunton

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Malabar
Hi all,     My 2009 Hyundai i30 back stop lights are not working but the overhead back light comes on when I press the brake pedal.  I have read the forum responses from similar previous post.  I have checked the globes which are OK and earthing looks good..    I have tried resetting the ecu - I was careful to earth the positive connection after I disconnected the battery earth so capacitors would be discharged.     This action had worked for a previous forum member.    I have looked up the wiring diagram for the stop lights for the i30.     The wiring diagram shows that it is very unlikely to have the two lower stop lights off and at the same time have the center upper stop light illuminated.   So I guess the wiring diagram may not be accurate.    I am now going to replace the stop light switch at the brake pedal.  However I don't understand how the upper centre stop light comes on if the stop light switch isn't working.    Any comments from the team?
  • Hyundai i30 2009 model hatchback

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I imagine the LED high brake light is slaved to the same circuit as the incandescent lamps, so I don't see how an ECU reset or brake switch replacement would do anything. The only thing I'd check after the bulbs is the loom and connectors.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Does checking the globes include park - reverse and all indicators? not just the brake/tail.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Bob and Welcome,

I thought I replied to this but I've been in hospital for last 3 days so it's been a bit crazy. Anyway I'm out now.

You have done much better than most researching the issue and the fixes.

However,  were you aware this model had a brake light switch warranty fix. It would definitely be worth checking with Hyundai if that has been done on your car as otherwise it should still be able to be done FOC.

Some who had the fix needed it twice as there were a couple of different versions depending I think if car had cruise or didn't.  Hope that helps.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Sure you are checking the Brake bulbs(globes) not the rear lights.... easily done.

Offline 1600dave

• 2nd Gear

• Victoria
Bob did you figure this out?

I have what I think is an identical problem in my 2013 GD Tourer, the centre hi stop led works, but two tail lights arent.
Checked globes and they are fine, but not getting brake light power at the tail light connectors. Tail and reverse lights work fine.

Googling the problem brings up a few threads which indicate its a somewhat common problem, but not many solutions.

One mentioned Hyundai did an ECU reset, whatever that means (or if its just what they told the customer they did to fix it).
Currently have the battery disconnected, but not real hopeful as I read others have tried this without success.
OBD2 scanner didn't detect any issues.

Would be handy to know the cause and fix, if it occurs again.
I did recently install a towbar, but everything was working fine after that.
I'm wondering if connecting a trailer on the weekend has caused it.
  • i30 Tourer

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal