Is your diesel filter out of kilter?

eye30 · 16 · 7102

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I know this issue has ben posted before but here is a bit from a BBC consumer programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2011/10/diesel_particulate_filters.html

The part in question is called a Diesel Particulate Filter or DPF. It's fitted to the exhaust to trap the soot and reduce emissions. The part was introduced to bring cars in line with new EU green emissions rules. But if you use your car solely for city driving then you could be in trouble.

The part usually cleans itself when the engine runs at high speeds - a process called regeneration. If this hasn't happened for a while, a warning light indicates that the filter is getting blocked. It must then be cleared by driving the car at high revs for a sustained period of time. This is easily done on the open road but is much more difficult to do around town.

I've never had a problem nor have I got a warning light, as far as I know, so how do I know if I have one?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

The part in question is called a Diesel Particulate Filter or DPF.

I've never had a problem nor have I got a warning light, as far as I know, so how do I know if I have one?

Easy.

Called in to dealer today.
They confirmed that my car does have a CPF and need to use fully synthetic oil
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

The part in question is called a Diesel Particulate Filter or DPF.

Easy.

Called in to dealer today.
They confirmed that my car does have a CPF and need to use fully synthetic oil

Thats a CPF   (Crap Particulate Filter)   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not with it today as I've been shafted re iPad3  so DPF=CPF right....
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Carrickferugs, Northern Ireland, UK

• My other car has no roof :O Mk1 MX5 1.8
It must then be cleared by driving the car at high revs for a sustained period of time. This is easily done on the open road but is much more difficult to do around town.

Mine gets driven at a 'legal' pace regularly, so mine should be squeeky clean :D
  • Premium 1.6 CRDi 2008 MY

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
There has to be a better way.  :fum:

BTW  What happens to the exhaust while the DPF is regenerating. What are the byproducts that are produced and where do they go.

I assume that all the economy figures ever stated by car manufacturers, ALL CONVENIENTLY FORGET THE DPF REGENERATION PHASE which must alter that economy figure somewhat.

It's a pity it can't simply be emptied from a canister as a solid which would not require the application of excessive heat, fuel and the requirement for driving at higher revs.  :'(

• 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

• i30cw 1.6 CRDi Style 90 HP
There has to be a better way.  :fum:

BTW  What happens to the exhaust while the DPF is regenerating. What are the byproducts that are produced and where do they go.

I assume that all the economy figures ever stated by car manufacturers, ALL CONVENIENTLY FORGET THE DPF REGENERATION PHASE which must alter that economy figure somewhat.

It's a pity it can't simply be emptied from a canister as a solid which would not require the application of excessive heat, fuel and the requirement for driving at higher revs.  :'(

"Byproducts" are CO2 and water.  :D

I don't like the fact that I can't control the operation of the DPF and that I was not informed of it being installed in my car before buy, but am quite satisfied with the results for now. No soot is emitted from the exhaust and I can't even smell it when I park in the garage (our previous diesel was a catastrophe here).

The price is around 0.1-0.2 l/100 km higher fuel consumption. I don't get all this hype that is around 'higher' rpm and city driving - had anyone of you had a problem with DPF that resulted in replacement at the dealer? In my case, I can drive at around 2000 rpm and the filter would regenerate smoothly. Even at idle, the process is not interrupted. The only factor that is important is the exhaust temperature. Until it reaches a normal operating temperature (which it cannot in driving 5 km), the regeneration can't start. On the other hand, in this period, many other components aren't yet in their full operational state. This all can result in premature failure.
So, if you're driving in the city, why would you buy a diesel anyway? Petrol warms up quicker, has Blue Drive, no particles, no turbo failure worries...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 07:47:25 by neoto »

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
"Even at idle, the process is not interrupted" are you sure ! as handbook would disagree.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Read this and be prepared to answer questions....

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/diesel-particulate-filters/

Or you could read my recent information on the subject posted on the forum 6 days ago

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=13595.msg149163#msg149163

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I have never had any issues with my DPF.

It regenerates frequently, some times I notice, some times I don't. If it regenerates and i stop and open the door, it smells like very hot/dead cat from underneath the car.

I drive for good economy most of the time, 95 % approx, mostly main roads at speeds around 85-90 km/h, but of course I drive for fun now and then.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Asterix,
You are one of the fortunate ones who drive long enough and at the correct speed for DPF regeneration and will probably never have a problem.  :goodjob2:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Asterix,
You are one of the fortunate ones who drive long enough and at the correct speed for DPF regeneration and will probably never have a problem.  :goodjob2:

I hope you're so right about that.   :mrgreen:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I really don't think I drive very long trips on an every day basis, only 2 x 25 km for work, and many short trips of 2 x 10 km.

Of course all the dirt will be burnt out when I attach the caravan and pull away... :happydance:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

• i30cw 1.6 CRDi Style 90 HP
"Even at idle, the process is not interrupted" are you sure ! as handbook would disagree.

As I noticed, the regeneration won't start in idle, but will continue in idle if triggered before by higher revs.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

It's all a big mystery to me - in 13000 mixed miles I have never seen any evidence that my car has regenerated. My engine must be set up in "Stealth" mode............ :Dunno:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Alan,

Your mix of driving must be ideal for you car, and the new one too.  :goodjob2:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Alan,

Your mix of driving must be ideal for you car, and the new one too.  :goodjob2:

Actually - I was once concerned that my car was permanently regenerating which accounted for my average fuel economy of only 48.7 mpg (5.8 l/100km) compared with the claims by other forum members who are getting over 60 mpg (4.7 l/100km).  I have had my car checked twice by the dealers about this - but they have found no problems and I have worn out my welcome by my insistence there could be something wrong. The dealers are adamant that their experience is that most diesel i30's average economy falls in the range 44 mpg (6.4 l/100km) and 50 mpg (5.7 l/100km) but a few of the very high mileage cars they service for trade users who plough up and down motorways day after day sometimes achieve 58 mpg (4.9 l/100km).  Hence they reckon my car is doing slightly better than average.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal