Upgrading the oem stereo to the oem sat nav

doomedace · 40 · 17535

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi Paul

The good thing is @doomedace is still an active member - so, hopefully, he can pass on what he did/discovered and/or where he got up to.

I think it was established that the flat rectangular grey connector (in the photos) was USB (which will need an adapter - I think you can get the OEM cable) - and some of the other connections were on the separate white plug.   I think almost certainly you will need to make up an adapter loom(s) of some sought (or else need to cut some wires from the car loom plugs to route them).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 23:17:39 by ibrokeit »
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline doomedace

• 2nd Gear

• at Austria

• I30 CW - hazel brown - 1.4 petrol - 2013
Hi

I'm from the UK and have a 2014 Kia proceed Gt, I want to carry out a sat nav retrofit and seem to have the same issues you have encountered. Not sure if you know but a Kia proceed is on the same chassis as your i30 and my sat nav is pretty much identical other than buttons being in different places.

So I have a sat nav unit that powers up and works, at the moment I have no usb or aux connectivity, no illumination, no steering wheel controls. Sat nav and radio antennas seem to be simple enough to use aftermarket accessories. Initially I'm not fussed about having the reverse camera working but I have seen registration plate lamps with inbuilt cameras that fit.

How did you get on with your fitting? I have found correct connectors and plugs at RS components here in the uk so if it's nessesary to make an adapter loom I can get hold of the parts.

Really interested to hear more about this
Thanks
Paul

Hi Paul,

unfortunately, shortly after my last post I discovered that the fascia of the ventilation control unit (the thing below the radio) is mechanically different for radios and satnavs. The satnav is wider at the bottom than the radio.

So, at the moment no more work was done here.

What i was able to do with my wiring loom was I got all controls working correctly, and I am quite sure that I can get rid of the warning mentioned above. If memory serves me correctly, there was one mistake in my wiring loom adapter, but for most of the connections, it is correct.

I'm unsure how to solve the auto day/night switch, though.

USB and AUX are on a different connattentionector. I'll try to find a picture, will update this post accordingly.

Need to go now, my son needs my! Will come back to you!
Best regards,
Alex
  • 2013 I30 CW GDH

Offline SteenP

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
@doomedace : I am looking at a similiar job in my I30 and would like to know where you got the wiring loom adaptor from?

Offline doomedace

• 2nd Gear

• at Austria

• I30 CW - hazel brown - 1.4 petrol - 2013
I do have mine from eBay, was called "Premium "Parrot" Adapterkabel für Hyundai i30 & Kia Ceed, Rio, Telefon-Adapter!!" from pimpmysound.

How do you solve the problem with the non fitting fascia of the climate control?

Best regards,
Alex
  • 2013 I30 CW GDH

Offline SteenP

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
Thanks  :)

Not sure about the facia yet. Either ask the local hyundai or do a little "Custom work" on the existing part.

Offline gonzwrc

• 1st Gear

• pe Peru
      Lima
Hi 2nd Gear! I'm Gonzalo from Peru and I have the same issues. At the moment I can't enable the key control from the steering wheel. How do you did it?. I will apreciate your answer
  • i30 GLS

Offline gonzwrc

• 1st Gear

• pe Peru
      Lima
Hi @doomedace
I'm trying the same upgrade. I'm wondering of you make work the steering keys with the stereo? I will appreciate your comments

Regards!

Gonzalo
  • i30 GLS

Offline E36m3

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cambridge
Hi

I've managed to get round to looking at the sat nav again, completed  the loom adapter and refitted.  So now the steering wheel controls work, stereo sounds great (I thought I was going to have to amplify but I don't need to) Bluetooth and phone both work great.

So the following are yet to sort

1. Aux/usb connection, the last post by doomedace seemed to point out this us possible. So I just need to know the pin layout and connector for this I assume?

2. Battery warning, other posts point to this being the alt_in pin? Is this correct? Is it just a 12v ignition + or something CAN related?

3.  Auto Sense illumination, not the most annoying thing but I would like to figure this out at some point

Any more help would be appreciated especially if doomedace has a pin assignment for the aux/usb

Many thanks for everything so far  :goodjob:
  • Kia pro ceed gt

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline i30fan1

• 1st Gear

• ie Ireland, Republic of
      Kerry, Ireland
Hi guys, am just taking on the same project, would be nice to see some pictures of the finished product, I.E the pinout adaptor.
Also did anyone come up with a solution to the charging warning on screen.

Thanks in advance

• i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal