i30 Owners Club

HOW TO: UPGRADE YOUR GD-01/GD-02 TO A GD-03 HEAD UNIT STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE

VTH · 476 · 230832

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hi All.

Given that the satnav units are different shape.
wouldnt a gd-03 and surrounding panel fix the issue?
might cost more, but should work?
we should ask our wrecker friends of the panels/fascias have the same attachment points.
If you wanted to fit the GD-03 in place of the satnav unit you would also need to buy the standard aircon control panel and swap the fascia with the existing aircon.

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
The wiring of the factory sat nav is different from the gd-03 so you will have to re-pin them if swapping for the gd-03.

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline kroner

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
CraigB and aanastasiou4
I think you're right
I just had a look at the premium head unit and AC control.
they seem to both have a bump in the bottom,  so i got excited.

however, looking closely, it would appear the bump in the premium AC controls, is not as deep as the GD-03 radio. though from pictures, is very difficult to tell.
we'd need a brave soul to try.

Premium users would need to get the AC controls (climate control, if it exists in that shape) as well as the radio, which could add up to more than just going aftermarket..
I don't think there's any fasia there, just the right climate control unit with the more pronounced bump.

yeah, that and re-pinning
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 08:06:57 by kroner »
  • 2012 GD Premium CRDI

Offline minicoops92

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      qld
Howdy all,

Question:

Does your new USB socket charge your phone?
(this could obvs be from my dodgy cable but just thought i'd ask)

Currently my partners Samsung S10 picks up a charge, but a message displays about slow charging and to use a proper cable.
But my iphone does not pick up any charge. Also i ask this because, the wreckers supplied cut cables for the AUX cable sockets and it looks like more than just an aux cable the amount of wires on there i suspect maybe it was giving charge to the USB port as well?

Should i update my software on the unit? (SW VER: 2.04.02 Micom: 3.27.00 Platform: 1.76)

The option for clicking android auto-apple car play seems to be greyed out on the audio options screen. Not sure if this problem is due to the dodgy cable, or needs a software update.

Preamble ramble: I installed a GD-03 in my 2014 i30 recently after my old head unit stopped playing any sounds.

Everything went better than expected. Only problem was I nearly broke the damn USB unit pushing to the front of the car instead of the back when trying to remove it! doh!
Everything's working fine except android auto/apple car play is not working. The wreckers did supply a cable but it had a tasty gash on the side that seems like it has only just shredded one of the internal wires.
I have just ordered a cable from Koraps.com ( :link: Auto Part Item View : 961983W000 (96198-3W000) CABLE ASSY-USB for HYUNDAI / KIA SPORTAGE 10-) hopefully that will be the go.

Cheers!
  • 2014 i30 trophy

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Howdy all,

Question:

Does your new USB socket charge your phone?
(this could obvs be from my dodgy cable but just thought i'd ask)

Currently my partners Samsung S10 picks up a charge, but a message displays about slow charging and to use a proper cable.
But my iphone does not pick up any charge. Also i ask this because, the wreckers supplied cut cables for the AUX cable sockets and it looks like more than just an aux cable the amount of wires on there i suspect maybe it was giving charge to the USB port as well?

Should i update my software on the unit? (SW VER: 2.04.02 Micom: 3.27.00 Platform: 1.76)

The option for clicking android auto-apple car play seems to be greyed out on the audio options screen. Not sure if this problem is due to the dodgy cable, or needs a software update.

Preamble ramble: I installed a GD-03 in my 2014 i30 recently after my old head unit stopped playing any sounds.

Everything went better than expected. Only problem was I nearly broke the damn USB unit pushing to the front of the car instead of the back when trying to remove it! doh!
Everything's working fine except android auto/apple car play is not working. The wreckers did supply a cable but it had a tasty gash on the side that seems like it has only just shredded one of the internal wires.
I have just ordered a cable from Koraps.com ( :link: Auto Part Item View : 961983W000 (96198-3W000) CABLE ASSY-USB for HYUNDAI / KIA SPORTAGE 10-) hopefully that will be the go.

Cheers!
Yes the USB also supplies power and Apple car play wont work unless you use genuine quality cables, cheap cables don't have to correct chip in them.

Definitely upgrade the units firmware to the latest 2.05.10 which fixes several issues, 276.5MB file which is currently still live thanks to a member on the Whirlpool Forums  :link: MEGA

Offline meisos

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Hi Everyone - first post here so please be nice  :sweating:

I've got a 2014 GD01 setup. I'm attempting to remove the AUX/USB ass'y but am having issues with those white clips that will give me better access to removing the AUX/USB.

Does anyone have any tips? I've been pushing and prodding those white clips but nothing is happening.

Thanks!
  • i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I can’t remember exactly how I removed it but I know it took some brute force to pop the USB/AUX module out, stubborn little bugger it is.

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
If you push the usb assembly from the back it comes out easily. No need to remove the whole panel!

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline meisos

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Thanks for the advice. It took a bit of brute force but I managed to get it out ... always feel like I'm about to break something and then it comes free!

The wrecker I got the GD03 didn't provide the updated AUX/USB ass'y. I'm still looking online for one - they seem to be in short supply. I've trawled back through the posts on this thread but can't seem to find a reputable dealer. Anyone got any option for me to track down?
  • i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Stanvac wreckers are whom I usually recommend for the GD-03 head units, they might separate the USB module for you :undecided: Ultimate Jap also sell the units though they do cut cables unfortunately.

Offline minicoops92

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      qld
:link: Auto Part Item View : 961983W000 (96198-3W000) CABLE ASSY-USB for HYUNDAI / KIA SPORTAGE 10-

Just got this in the post today
Only took two weeks to arrive which isn't bad from korea!
Everythings working perfectly! Phone is charging and apple car play working a treat.
havent updated the system yet though.
It looked like a genuine part as well was in a KIA stamped bag.

The above poster-im pretty sure someone has written the part number down for the USB unit in one of the posts you should be able to use that to order from koraps.

They were really good sent me an email after i purchased to let me know there wont be a shipping number and to contact if there is any issues!

Cable was about $53 after conversion to US currency and postage which is reasonable considering car play is pretty epic.
  • 2014 i30 trophy

Offline macca__macca

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Hi there,

I also have a 2013 i30 Elite and want to do the GD-03 upgrade. Did you ever discovery a way of doing this, given the facia at the bottom of the unit is a different shape?

I want to avoid going aftermarket if I can, but seems like us Elite owners have no option!

Cheers
  • 2013 i30 Elite

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hi there,

I also have a 2013 i30 Elite and want to do the GD-03 upgrade. Did you ever discovery a way of doing this, given the facia at the bottom of the unit is a different shape?

I want to avoid going aftermarket if I can, but seems like us Elite owners have no option!

Cheers
You can buy the aircon panel from a base model and change over the fascia, I think you then need to drill a few holes in the fascia where the climate sensor is.

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
Hi there,

Cheers
I have one facia which I don't need. It can be fitted on your existing aircon unit. Send me a message if you want it!

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline nathanjensen883

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Deception Bay
I am about to do the upgrade, just purchased the gd 03 head unit, and didn't come with lead or usb/ aux assembly, If I purchase the lead, will that be enough? or do I have to upgrade the usb/ aux assembly as well?? The car already has a usb/aux assembly....
  • GD I30 Active

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I am about to do the upgrade, just purchased the gd 03 head unit, and didn't come with lead or usb/ aux assembly, If I purchase the lead, will that be enough? or do I have to upgrade the usb/ aux assembly as well?? The car already has a usb/aux assembly....
You don't mention what year the vehicle is but if the factory usb/aux assembly is the single cable type (pre Apple/Android) then you'll need the cable and assembly as the usb Apple/Android cable becomes it's own with a separate plug for the aux side, the aux remains disconnected.

Hopefully you can purchase the part from a wrecker, Koraps also sell the cable as mentioned previously...not sure about the usb/aux assemble.

Offline macca__macca

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
I have an 2013 i30 Elite (SatNav model), with reversing camera hidden under the Hyundai badge at the rear. Does anyone know if the GD03 head unit supports connection to the reversing camera? The aftermarket CarPlay head units do not, and would require a separate (new) reverse camera to be installed, which would be silly.
  • 2013 i30 Elite

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
I have an 2013 i30 Elite (SatNav model), with reversing camera hidden under the Hyundai badge at the rear. Does anyone know if the GD03 head unit supports connection to the reversing camera? The aftermarket CarPlay head units do not, and would require a separate (new) reverse camera to be installed, which would be silly.

Gd-03 head unit supports the reversing camera!

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Gd-03 head unit supports the reversing camera!
The GD-03 unit is a different shape to the satnav units and won’t fit without also changing the aircon fascia.

There are adapters to make the cameras video cable fit any stereo, I’d suggest speaking to a reputable audio dealer/installer.

Offline bokkie1

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hampshire
Hi all. So is it correct that I can swap the system in the first picture ( I pick the car up on Saturday ) from a 2016 i30 se. Which I believe is a GD-02 unit for the one in the second picture, which is a GD-03 unit?
  • Hyundai I30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hi all. So is it correct that I can swap the system in the first picture ( I pick the car up on Saturday ) from a 2016 i30 se. Which I believe is a GD-02 unit for the one in the second picture, which is a GD-03 unit?
That is a navigation unit so not a GD-03, the GD-03 is a cartronics unit with Apple Carplay/Android Auto and no CD player which you'll see pictured in the first post of this topic, they are only available from Australia.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 19:43:22 by CraigB »

Offline bokkie1

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hampshire
That is a navigation unit so not a GD-03, the GD-03 is a cartronics unit with Apple Carplay/Android Auto and no CD player which you'll see pictured in the first post of this topic, they are only available from Australia.
Thanks for your reply. Can the navigation unit be swapped for the existing unit?
  • Hyundai I30

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
Thanks for your reply. Can the navigation unit be swapped for the existing unit?
You will need a new air con  facia as well as re-pinning the connectors at the back of the unit.

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
As mentioned it can be done though it’s more work, aircon fascia needs swapping with the climate control type, aerial and wiring need changing to the GPS type and re-pin the connections.

It is possible to purchase a GD-03 unit from Australia via Stanvac Wreckers, email them for a quote :link: New/Recycled Korean Parts | Stanvac Korean Auto Parts | Lonsdale SA

Offline bokkie1

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hampshire
Thanks, I've just had a quote of $550 from stanvac which seems reasonable.
One question, as this is an aftermarket unit, does it use Google maps?
How do you update the maps?
Or do you use the Hyundai unit sd card?
Thanks everyone
  • Hyundai I30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Thanks, I've just had a quote of $550 from stanvac which seems reasonable.
One question, as this is an aftermarket unit, does it use Google maps?
How do you update the maps?
Or do you use the Hyundai unit sd card?
Thanks everyone
They're not an aftermarket unit, they are installed in some of the late model GD i30's here.

Being a Apple/Android unit you use the maps off your phone, there are no built in maps or SD card ports, the installation process is described in detail in the first post of this topic by VTH.

Remember to ask Stanvac to send the unit with USB cable and the AUX module as these are required to complete the installation and make use of the Carplay/Android functions.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 08:20:50 by CraigB »

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stoke on Trent United kingdom
Your best option I would say is the GD-03 from Australia, you plug your phone into it and you can use apple maps, google maps or waze if you like.
I have done the swap from the head unit like yours and it works flawlessly
  • I30 2013 GD 5 Door Hatchback Petrol 1.4 Manual Active

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
With the gd-03 you won't need to update the maps every now and then since you use the maps from your phone which are always up to date! You will also get siri or google assistant depending on your device so you won't have to take your eyes off the road when you want to make a call or send a message.

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline Bundera78

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
I've just gone ahead and replaced my GD-01 head unit with a GD-03 from a wrecker here in Perth (cost $225). It was very simple with the help of VTH's original post.

My only issue was being unable to get the USB cable, seems a lot of wreckers cut them when removing the AUX/USB assembly. As he wanted $60 for the AUX/USB assembly without the cable I gave it a miss. Having seen a previous response suggesting the use of a USB cable I thought I'd order one and give it a go - http://www.pcpartsandcables.com/support/images/usbafem2mm.jpg

Any other suggestions for sourcing the AUX/USB assembly and cable?

• 2013 i30 tourer

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Any other suggestions for sourcing the AUX/USB assembly and cable?
Try KORAPS, they have an eBay store :link: KORea Auto Parts Service-KORAPS | eBay Stores as well as their home site :link: KORAPS - KORea Auto Parts Service - HYUNDAI KIA GM SSANGYONG RENAULT Genuine Parts! Low Price!

The other cable you bought might work for Android :undecided: but wont be compatible for Apple, looks like it would melt when charging :eek:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 08:46:33 by CraigB »

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal