i30 Owners Club

2017 i30sr starting problem

Liisa · 322 · 99466

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

A fairly trouble free history for the i30 so far over more than 10 years has obviously made US complacent

:D Because Lester clearly identified the fault and Gonz gave us the logical remedy.   :phone1:

:happydance:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
More to the point Dazz, these posters who never reply, say thanks or just report that we were wrong, are a source of frustration to me.
The above is clearly an illustration of  useful data thoughtlessly wasted.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
More to the point Dazz, these posters who never reply, say thanks or just report that we were wrong, are a source of frustration to me.
The above is clearly an illustration of  useful data thoughtlessly wasted.

I hear where you are coming from Gary and I understand with the volunteer work that you and Gerard (and occasionally others put in) it is frustrating.

However, as you have said yourself on occasion, the site does a great job of supporting i30 owners and the majority of them are great, appreciative and good at supplying updates. You'll never get 100% in anything.

We don't know the back story on a lot of these members. Some may even have a legit excuse for not returning.  :undecided: 
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline harpy04

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Joondanna, WA
Hi all,

Had my 2017 i30 SR Turbo serviced last week (Friday 4th Jan) and I mentioned that the car had the same starting issues as reported in this post. Unfortunately I didn’t think to research this prior to having the car serviced. I wish I did though.

We have had this car since May 2nd 2018 and purchased brand new. Only got just over 7000 on the clock, so certainly not over worked.

Anyway, explained the issue we were having with the car using the a description of “gasping when starting” and “extended starting”. I actually spoke to the lead technician at the dealership (as well as the check in staff) and explained the situation. To me it felt like a fuel / air starvation situation, but I’m no mechanic.
He didn’t seem to know of any previous reports like this, but after reading this thread I’m not sure that’s correct either. Again, I wish I had these posts / videos on hand.

They said they would check the faults and of course, no faults or codes were found. They also said they couldn’t replicate the problem. This is all sounding very familiar.

When I picked the car up, they said they installed an ECU update and I should monitor it and if it occurred again, they may need to keep the car overnight etc. Unfortunately just today, the issue occurred again.

Just for fun I checked the worksheet and there doesn’t seem to be any mention of an ECU update being added, so maybe it wasn’t? So on the face of it, doesn’t look like the update worked, if it was indeed installed.

I will be going back to the dealership tomorrow with this thread in hand to see what they have to say about it. I will post updates.

CHEERS
  • I30SR Premium 2017

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi all,

Had my 2017 i30 SR Turbo serviced last week (Friday 4th Jan) and I mentioned that the car had the same starting issues as reported in this post. Unfortunately I didn’t think to research this prior to having the car serviced. I wish I did though.

We have had this car since May 2nd 2018 and purchased brand new. Only got just over 7000 on the clock, so certainly not over worked.

Anyway, explained the issue we were having with the car using the a description of “gasping when starting” and “extended starting”. I actually spoke to the lead technician at the dealership (as well as the check in staff) and explained the situation. To me it felt like a fuel / air starvation situation, but I’m no mechanic.
He didn’t seem to know of any previous reports like this, but after reading this thread I’m not sure that’s correct either. Again, I wish I had these posts / videos on hand.

They said they would check the faults and of course, no faults or codes were found. They also said they couldn’t replicate the problem. This is all sounding very familiar.

When I picked the car up, they said they installed an ECU update and I should monitor it and if it occurred again, they may need to keep the car overnight etc. Unfortunately just today, the issue occurred again.

Just for fun I checked the worksheet and there doesn’t seem to be any mention of an ECU update being added, so maybe it wasn’t? So on the face of it, doesn’t look like the update worked, if it was indeed installed.

I will be going back to the dealership tomorrow with this thread in hand to see what they have to say about it. I will post updates.

CHEERS

Thanks very much for that. They have some explaining to do! Good luck!  :cool:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
@harpy04
Not sure how remote your location is, but I would have thought that all dealerships would know about this issue by now. ......Hyundai HQ and Tech assist being as proactive as usual?  :rolleyes:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@harpy04
Not sure how remote your location is, but I would have thought that all dealerships would know about this issue by now. ......Hyundai HQ and Tech assist being as proactive as usual?  :rolleyes:

Joondanna is a suburb of Perth. So not very remote at all!  :crazy1:

Offline Beardyboy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi all,

CHEERS
It amazes me that Hyundai still continue to keep this issue under wraps rather than keep the dealerships in the loop... Back in June 2018, Hyundai were aware of c 12 cases.
When the fault starting happening on my car i started to video the instances and showed the dealership what was happening....the dealership managed to replicate the fault once. Then they fitted a D-logger for me to record the data each time the issue occurred. They replaced my fuel injectors and this seemed to resolve the warm start issue on my car.
Technical Korea apparently are looking at the issue.
The last software upgrade for "hard to start" faults seems not to have worked at all and in my case presented other faults.
I think that theres an awful lot of head-scratching going on at Hyundai
  • Formerly a 2018 PD2 SR DCT, White (Lemon)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks again Beardyboy. Really appreciate your regular feedback on the situation.  :cool: :goodjob:

Offline harpy04

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Joondanna, WA
Not remote at all. As Dazzler mentioned it is a suburb of Perth.

Just got a call from the dealership for some feedback on the service. I mentioned that I described the issue prior to the service  but no faults or codes etc were found, so it was dismissed.

There was supposed to be an ECU update done, but no record on the job sheet.

I then mentioned this page and other examples of the same issue, along with how long this has been going on for, how long Hyundai have know about it and that that the technicians didn’t know about it

I made my feelings known how disappointed I was that it was dismissed with “ we can’t replicate it”

I am now waiting to speak with the service manager.

More updates to come.
  • I30SR Premium 2017

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Just got a call from the dealership for some feedback on the service. I mentioned that I described the issue prior to the service  but no faults or codes etc were found, so it was dismissed.

I then mentioned this page and other examples of the same issue, along with how long this has been going on for, how long Hyundai have know about it and that that the technicians didn’t know about it

I made my feelings known how disappointed I was that it was dismissed with “ we can’t replicate it”

More updates to come.

That's the way. Stand your ground. They asked!  :D

Hopefully your response will kick them into gear.  :goodjob:

Offline Beardyboy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

More updates to come.

If your dealer needs a contact at the Hyundai Customer Care centre re the starting issue, they should try and contact Craig Salthouse. Alternatively Sacha Dawson at Alto Hyundai service in Artarmon helped me with my car
  • Formerly a 2018 PD2 SR DCT, White (Lemon)

Offline Flower

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, New Zealand
Hi Harpy and Dazz.  A very similar thing happened to me.  My car began the warm start issue after its 20 000km service.

It was sent back to Hyundai and I got a very similar story along the lines of 'this fault could not be replicated'.  Roll on to the 30 000km service and they advised that they had a software update for the warm starting issue. 

A few days later my wife went to start the car............nothing but dash lights and no response.  The car has been towed back to Hyundai and there it remains, 4 days later and apparently no fix.
  • 2018 PD i30 1.6 Turbo Limited Hatch

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Harpy and Dazz.  A very similar thing happened to me.  My car began the warm start issue after its 20 000km service.

It was sent back to Hyundai and I got a very similar story along the lines of 'this fault could not be replicated'.  Roll on to the 30 000km service and they advised that they had a software update for the warm starting issue. 

A few days later my wife went to start the car............nothing but dash lights and no response.  The car has been towed back to Hyundai and there it remains, 4 days later and apparently no fix.

:Shocked:

Thanks for that! Your latest issue sounds like something different though.  :crazy1:

Offline Rothb

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      SA
Hi all,

I've been on the worldwide and the Australian Facebook page for a while but just registered here. I bought my PD2 SR in September 2018 and having the same warm start issue.

My dealer in Adelaide have given the same response and have done nothing to date other than installing the ECU update that changed nothing. I've been given a flight recorder which doesn't work (have been back to fix that but stopped working again). I've mentioned fuel injectors and they are good at ignoring the comment. Tired of driving back there!

Anyways.. Just following this space like everyone else.
Ben
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 11:26:30 by Rothb »
  • 2018 Hyundai i30 SR PD2 DCT

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi all,

I've been on the worldwide and the Australian Facebook page for a while but just registered here. I bought my PD2 SR in September 2018 and having the same warm start issue.

My dealer in Adelaide have given the same response and have done nothing to date other than installing the ECU update that changed nothing. I've been given a flight recorder which doesn't work (have been back to fix that but stopped working again). I've mentioned fuel injectors and they are good at ignoring the comment. Tired of driving back there!

Anyways.. Just following this space like everyone else.
Ben

Hi Ben. Thanks for that info. Nothing like a head in the sand approach! Very frustrating for you. They are lucky more people haven't got agro. Sounds like you might have to mention taking it further.. The ACCC etc.. :crazy1:

Offline butters7388

• 2nd Gear
I have only just seen this post but I can confirm I also have this issue. I purchased my SR Nov 2018. I noticed the fault approximately three months in to ownership. When I first took it back to the dealer I was given the "could not replicate" line and my battery was replaced and ecu reset. This did not fix the problem and I returned the car again after 9 months at my 20k service, and all I got was the "could not replicate".

I then noticed some posts on Hyundai Australia FB page from disgruntled owners. I contacted Hyundai through FB and received this response, November 2018

"Hi xxxx,

Thanks for your message, our technical team are still working on a permanent solution for this concern.

In the meantime there is a temporary fix, by tapping the accelerator the fault will be cleared and the vehicle will go back to normal.

We will continue to follow up with technical and will have a permanent solution very soon.

Kind regards
Lani"

I asked how long the issue had been known and was Told approximately one month and their tech department and head office in Korea and they were reviewing.

My car goes in for 30k service in a month and I will be raising the issue again.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I have only just seen this post but I can confirm I also have this issue. I purchased my SR Nov 2018. I noticed the fault approximately three months in to ownership. When I first took it back to the dealer I was given the "could not replicate" line and my battery was replaced and ecu reset. This did not fix the problem and I returned the car again after 9 months at my 20k service, and all I got was the "could not replicate".

I then noticed some posts on Hyundai Australia FB page from disgruntled owners. I contacted Hyundai through FB and received this response, November 2018

"Hi xxxx,

Thanks for your message, our technical team are still working on a permanent solution for this concern.

In the meantime there is a temporary fix, by tapping the accelerator the fault will be cleared and the vehicle will go back to normal.

We will continue to follow up with technical and will have a permanent solution very soon.

Kind regards
Lani"

I asked how long the issue had been known and was Told approximately one month and their tech department and head office in Korea and they were reviewing.

My car goes in for 30k service in a month and I will be raising the issue again.

Thanks for that. I'm guessing you mean November 2017. Does the tapping of the accelerator help? I believe one thing that may help is pressing the starter button once or twice without your foot on the brake which may prime something. I haven't had the issue so not talking from experience.

It still mystifies me that only a certain percentage have the issue. If it was software related you would think it was all or none. Apparently new injectors have helped some. That does make more sense (a faulty batch of injectors)  :undecided:

I believe some in the USA and Canada have been affected too.

Offline butters7388

• 2nd Gear
Yes Nov 17, my bad.

Pressing the accelerator does fix the issue but it shouldn't be an issue in the first place. I have taken to three different dealers from Brisbane to Sunshine Coast in my 15 months of ownership and none have been able to diagnose, replicate or fix.

Is it limited to SR premiums?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes Nov 17, my bad.

Pressing the accelerator does fix the issue but it shouldn't be an issue in the first place. I have taken to three different dealers from Brisbane to Sunshine Coast in my 15 months of ownership and none have been able to diagnose, replicate or fix.

Is it limited to SR premiums?

Don't think so. Pretty sure some have been same as mine (Non prem SR) and even a couple of manuals. Even the PD2 update isn't immune! Be interesting to see if any N-line vehicles report the fault. They must be a slightly different tune as rated slightly better fuel economy. 7.1 overall V 7.4? for the SR DCT.

Offline Newyi30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
That 'lani' is useless. I've been explaining my frustration to her for over 6 months now and asking for further updates. I just get the same reply. They are liaising with head office etc.
  • 2017 i30 SR

Offline butters7388

• 2nd Gear
Lani probably doesn't exist. They just give a single name to 30 people who have access to the messenger system

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
temporary fix, by tapping the accelerator the fault will be cleared

This must fly in the face of a batch of faulty injectors being the issue.. ( cured only one that I noticed; which, to me was always a suspect conclusion). 

all I got was the "could not replicate".

Its seems to be Hyundai's new BUZZ phrase.
Its also being used when other difficult or time consuming problems are presented by our members.

Offline lukeee

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Lani probably doesn't exist. They just give a single name to 30 people who have access to the messenger system

Can confirm she's a person! have spoken with her over the phone.
  • Hyundai i30 SR PD2 DCT "Phoenix Orange"

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Mysterious women turn me on :cool: How was it?

Offline lukeee

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

Mysterious women turn me on :cool: How was it?

Not as exhilarating as you’d think  :'(
  • Hyundai i30 SR PD2 DCT "Phoenix Orange"

Offline NotaN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
My wife's car went in for this issue after I was told about the ECU update. It has NOT fixed her car so it needs to go back again. The real problem is in a lack of dealer initiative to diagnose and rely purely on dealer assist. When I was a mechanic working at a Hyundai dealer we would spend time finding faults and fixing them. I personally spent days trying to fix and coming up with a solution to rectify an extreme flat spot in what was Hyundai's worst ever model the XG Grandeur. There was never really any thanks but a great deal of satisfaction in fixing  problems before the factory engineering team.
  • I30 SR Premium PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My wife's car went in for this issue after I was told about the ECU update. It has NOT fixed her car so it needs to go back again. The real problem is in a lack of dealer initiative to diagnose and rely purely on dealer assist. When I was a mechanic working at a Hyundai dealer we would spend time finding faults and fixing them. I personally spent days trying to fix and coming up with a solution to rectify an extreme flat spot in what was Hyundai's worst ever model the XG Grandeur. There was never really any thanks but a great deal of satisfaction in fixing  problems before the factory engineering team.

I'm not disagreeing with what you say. A lot of dealers aren't very proactive in situations like this. I am surprised though that you had that much time to dedicate to individual repairs. I know the local dealer has anywhere from 30 to 50 jobs a day to get through in the workshop.  :undecided:

Offline Rothb

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      SA
Just an update. I had the spark plugs and injectors replaced about 2 weeks ago and haven't had issues since.
  • 2018 Hyundai i30 SR PD2 DCT

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for that! Looking more and more like a bad batch of injectors to me.  :victory:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal