i30 Owners Club

2013 i30 SR cuts out then wont start when hot

Offline dustingray

• 1st Gear

• Australia, Logan
Hi,

I have looked through the forum and couldn't find anything exactly like this.

This has happened 3 times now with exactly the same circumstances.

1st time - My Wife drove the car to 3 destinations with a couple of hours rest in between and she had no issues, came home and I took it back out maybe 30 mins later and it started fine but driving down the road its like it ran out of petrol.

2nd time - The car was left on the side of the road overnight, started first go in the morning and drove it home no worries. 10 hours later took it to the shops last night and returned 30 mins later and it happened again, started fine but within a minute its like it was starving for fuel, cut out and wouldnt start again. The engine turns over but its like there is no fuel getting to it. So we left it at the shops over night.

3rd time - Got a lift to the shops this morning after 12 hours and started normally and drove it home approx 10 min drive no problem. An hour later I just tried to go for a drive and it started and then after a minute its like it ran out of fuel again and cut out. The engine turns over but wont start.

I do notice however an orange car with a key symbol on the dash.

I have two sets of keys and it happens with both, but only in the scenarios explained so could it be that for some reason the immobiliser is faulty when the car is hot?

Code: [Select]
https://youtu.be/V4PdLDFMidg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4PdLDFMidg&feature=youtu.be

« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 04:08:49 by CraigB »
  • 2013 i30 SR

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
i30's have a bit of a reputation for immobiliser coils/antenna failing.  Use an ODBC2 reader and check for codes.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
@dustingray
See 2 posts re:" intermittent start" in same section you've posted this.
1 is electrical and other fuel.
Could PM them if you wish to discuss other details. 
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Me thinks not ant. coil. It seems to be reading key ok.
I notice you have a few kms up. IT does sound like fuel starvation, note tacho is moving and it did try to fire.
Can you hear fuel pump operating when you first switch ignition on? (About 2 seconds.)
You have 250,000kms up. May be worth looking a fuel filter. If you have dirt or water in tank, the pickup sock may be getting clogged. Its on the fuel pump under the back seat.
I would start with fuel line at motor see if you have fuel there. Bridge the pump relay and see if it flows. thats also the pump check
Good luck.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
@dustingray

Mate just another thought.
The fuel test is easy DIY.
If you can find someone with a scanner, see if you have any codes stored.
I had forgotten crank and cam sensors.
They are also easy to change. A code will point to it/them.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline dustingray

• 1st Gear

• Australia, Logan
Hey,

So a follow up that hopefully helps someone else.

Had a mobile mechanic come out.

No fault codes reported.

I killed the battery in trying to start it in the end so we got a new battery.

Diagnosis:

Fuse box tested fine

Power was getting to the fuel pump

Unscrewed the fuel line to the GDI and no fuel was pumping through.

Mechanic said it was the fuel pump, even though on first ring around no-one had them in stock which suggested to him they didnt fail.

Replaced fuel pump under rear seat and filter.

Problem solved.

Had nothing to do with the Imobiliser as I thought.

Whilst the car was only 5 years old and had been well serviced it has done 230K in highway traffic from the Gold Coast to Brisbane and back everyday.

With the new 750 CCA battery and fuel pump its back to normal.

One thing to note is that on diagnosis, the Airbags came up as faults, however this was due to the low voltage of the battery.
  • 2013 i30 SR

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Low voltage tends to mess with a lot of the logic. Glad it's all resolved.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Can you hear fuel pump operating when you first switch ignition on? (About 2 seconds.)
You have 250,000kms up. May be worth looking a fuel filter. If you have dirt or water in tank, the pickup sock may be getting clogged. Its on the fuel pump under the back seat.
I would start with fuel line at motor see if you have fuel there. Bridge the pump relay and see if it flows. thats also the pump check
Good luck.

:drinks:  :shakehands1:

@dustingray  thanks for the feed back mate. Appreciated. :goodjob2:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Great to hear,  cheap fix for the next 269 k km  :victory:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal