i30 Owners Club

Change your glow plugs , change your glow plugs .

Offline Richo123

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane Queensland
Yesterday, after years of procrastination, and having mechanics not agree to replace my glow plugs, I finally replaced the glow plugs in my 2013 I30 myself, which has now done 210000 km.
It has had an intermittent long crank, smokey start on cold mornings for as long as I can remember, some days it was ok. It felt like at least one of my tradie neighbours saw me start up in a cloud of smoke in the mornings  so embarrassing. I have now replaced all four with NGK Y-527J plugs, all four original plugs were open circuit.
The results are fantastic, this car has never started this well since I have had it and there is no more smoke and splutter on start. Now it starts without hesitation, every time, better than ever.
Thanks heaps to the members that offered encouragement and good advice regarding replacing glow plugs.
Beers all round!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 11:30:19 by Richo123 »
  • 2013 GD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel, 1.6lt, Manual, 6spd, Red

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Did your plugs come out cleanly or did they take some of the cylinder head aluminium with them? Did you clean up the holes with a glow plug reamer before fitting the new ones?
  • i30 CRD

Offline Richo123

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane Queensland
They came out cleanly, they had been installed with anti-seize. :) I inspected the threads in the holes and the threads on the plugs and they were really clean. I applied anti-seize to the new plugs and was able to seat them all by hand.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 23:54:00 by Richo123 »
  • 2013 GD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel, 1.6lt, Manual, 6spd, Red

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
 I have read mixed reports regarding the use of anti-seize grease in their installation.
Great to hear that the glowplugs came out without drama and that the starting issues were resolved. Well done!

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Right type of anti-seize will work. Old method using copper paste will not work. Copper and aluminium will create electrical pair and basicly weld plugs to aluminium head.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Ozzibiker

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I need to change mine. 2 are open circuit.
What plugs do I need? Was there only 1 type for NGK and Hyundai OEM?
Car is January 2011.
An aluminium anti-seize I guess?
  • i30 CW

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal