i30 Owners Club

Timing Belt Chirping after New Install

Offline rkdraft

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
  I changed the timing belt, pulleys and water pump last weekend on my
2007 I30 2.0 Petrol.  180000KMs. All went well for about 2 days then the timing belt starting chirping after startup for about 2-3 seconds.  The tensionor is sitting in the window and looks to be correct.  I cannot seem to work out what else could be off.  Any one else come accross this?

Cheers
  • 2007 Hyundai I30 SR

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
2007 I30 2.0 Petrol.  180000KMs. All went well for about 2 days then the timing belt starting chirping after startup for about 2-3 seconds.  The tensionor is sitting in the window and looks to be correct.  I cannot seem to work out what else could be off.  Any one else come accross this?

Cheers

Purely for clarification...your timing belt is "chirping" as opposed to say, squeaking or squealing?
  • 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I'm wondering how does a toothed belt chirp. If there was a seizing idler or somerhing I could understand it. Definitely that. Possibly remove drive belts and see if noise is still present.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
I'm wondering how does a toothed belt chirp. If there was a seizing idler or somerhing I could understand it. Definitely that. Possibly remove drive belts and see if noise is still present.
:agreed:
Remove normal vee belts one at a time and check.   :Good_luck:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

Cheers

@ rkdraft.  Have you sorted out what the issue was?  “Chirping” is more often caused by a misalignment issue between the pulleys/idler (as opposed to "squealing" which is more often due to a loss of belt tension).

To help isolate the problem, have you tried the "ol' water spray on the belt" trick?  If you haven't, here is a link to one helpful tech video from Gates.
:link: GATES TRAINING: Diagnosing Belt Noise - The Spray Bottle Test - YouTube

I know the water spray test is easier to do on inline (North-South) engines in roomier engine bays and is not so easy in confined East-West engine bays.  I just had a look at my belt set up for the first time and, YUK!  Anyways...

Best to set the water bottle to “jet" rather than “spray”.  This will help you aim and hit the ribbed part of the belt where you want, rather than water bomb your target and nearby belts, which can confuse the results.

If your access to the belts makes it too awkward to use the water spray bottle accurately, maybe try a slender squeeze bottle fitted on top with a small diameter plastic hose, cut to length.  Used carefully and with a couple of small, gentle squeezes you should get the same result.

If no result from the water spray, remove the belt and run the engine as TW2005 suggested. 

Sorry, my 2018 i30 SR is my first Hyundai and I have no hands-on experience working on these cars (and no knowledge of the variations between years and models) so cannot be more helpful.

General Shout Out: My car has the one serpentine (V-ribbed) belt.  mickd's post talks about V-belts (plural?).  What type of belt does rkdraft's 2007 i30 SR have (V-belt or V-ribbed/serpentine belt); and how many?

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
@TerryT
Hi Terry,
was going on memory from daughter"s 2012  FD
  :undecided:, but now you've made me think and I may be thinking of her 323  :eek:
Sorry for any bum steers  :crazy1:  :-[
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
@TerryT
Hi Terry,
was going on memory from daughter"s 2012  FD
  :undecided:, but now you've made me think and I may be thinking of her 323  :eek:4
Sorry for any bum steers  :crazy1:  :-[

No problems, Mick, was more curious than anything else.  Besides, I haven't had my bum steered in ages.  :)

I hope 'rkdraft' posts an update, hopefully  with  the solution.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal