i30 Owners Club

Replacing water pump

eyecon · 6 · 5371

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Anyone have any knowledge of replacing a water pump on a 1.6 CRDI? Has anyone done this before, and is it a relatively easy process? One of the pulleys is seized and I believe it to be the water pump.
Cheers
Dennis

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi Dennis, never had to do one, but from memory it is external unlike the petrol motor, so you may be in luck.
I have a couple of crdi motors in my shed, so will get back to you shortly Gary
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
@eyecon

Yes not too hard to do this.

As you can see I slipped the motor back into a car. :mrgreen: You will see its a bit tight.

Support the motor with a jack and remove the engine mount arm 'B' and lift/tilt the motor a bit more. That will give you more space. Unclip cable 'D', undo the usual tensioner (lower middle roller on #1 photo) to slack off the serpentine belt 'C' and remove. Then the 3 bolts on water pump pulley 'A'.
With the pulley out of the way, the pump mounting bolts are clear to get at. All up, an easy morning job.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 07:14:42 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Thanks NZE.  Much appreciated. I suspected correctly. I see there's plenty of new "OEM quality" i30 diesel water pumps on offer on the www. Not expensive either, but then again I don't know what an actual genuine unit costs. I guess I find out soon enough.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
No probs mate, Bursons supply the trade, they have good quality after market or genuine parts.
Should mention that it will save time and knuckle skin if you loosen the 3 pulley bolts BEFORE you remove the serp belt.
Cheers Gary.

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
No worries about the serp belt here. Had to drive it all the way home without it when it snapped as a result of the seizure. It was a tense and interesting drive home.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal