i30 Owners Club

Our Electronic key (or Manually operated one) will not unlock the Car doors

HiI30 · 10 · 3870

Offline HiI30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Singleton, NSW
Hi
Approx 4 years ago we bought a second hand 2009 5 door petrol 2.0 Ltr I30.

Yesterday coming home from down the street the EPS light came on the dash and the car had no power for the steering apart from the hydraulics. I was only a short distance to get home so carefully and at slow speed I made it home OK in the drive I stopped the engine and restarted it---All systems were all OK with full power steering support.

Today I went to unlock the car with the electronic key and the door will not respond to the signal generated from the key--I tried to use the key in the drivers door, and no luck there either.

If the battery failed completely overnight, would this be the reason the eletronic key will not work, neither my wifes key nor mine actuate the mechanism.

If the battery is dead flat how can I get the bonnet open---yeah I know but no magic tricks worked, maybe yours will :)

Has anyone experienced any failures with dead flat batteries and tried to open their car with the Key :lol:

Did the computer along with the EPS fault prevent me from operating the car?

Kind regards
Ben n Anne
  • 2009 I30 Std 5 door

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Ben and Anne. My thoughts from previous discussions on here is that you had a temporary electronic power assistance failure which reset itself when you restarted the car. Something is still not right which has made the pwer assistance stay on when you got to your destination and parked the car and this has resulted in the flat battery. A flat battery would stop the remote from triggering the electronic door locks, but I would expect the physical key to open the drivers door so you could access the bonnet release.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I have nothing to offer really and agree with Daz, the key should unlock the door just as any key unlocks a door!!!

Otherwise, as you say, how the hell can you spring the bonnet and check the battery.

Good luck with the solution.

keep us informed  :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Aughy

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northern Ireland
Ive experienced this loss of EPS on several occasions and as you mentioned this righted itself after I stopped the car and restarted it. I never experienced complete battery failure though. The way I know if the battery is low is when the engine stop start system disengages.
  • 2012 I30 Blue Active Diesel 1600

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
An EPS fault may cause the Power Steer to remain powered after you lock the car. Therefore, there is a drain on your battery.. to flat, especially if it is old.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

An EPS fault may cause the Power Steer to remain powered after you lock the car. Therefore, there is a drain on your battery.. to flat, especially if it is old.
That was probably a better way to put it than I did.

Offline HiI30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Singleton, NSW
Hi Guys n Gals
Thanks for the replies.
Here is am update for today--when my son and i went to the car and tried to unlock it with the eletronic key the dam thing worked perfectly---as in normal.

With egg on my face I just said it didn't work yesterday let me assure you, he smiled and kept his thoughts to himself, but what we did learn is after I told him exactly what happened as I drove home he said ah ha--you never told me the ESP light came on at the same time as the EPS light.

He searched the social networks and came up with some interesting facts--hope they re correct but seem to make sense. There are sensors in the cars system that can influence the EPS light coming on. Back in approx 2009 to 2014 Hyundai did a recall to fix a bug with the EPS system, I think he said it related to the steering switch in the column.

As we now have the car unlocked we took it for a drive down the road and u would not believe within 200 metres and at approx 20 K's per hour the EPS and ESP lights came on again. We stopped the car and restarted the engine and took it around the block several times and the EPS never cam back on--no matter what we did to the car to try and make it happed, e.g swerving left n right, braking hard, accelerating from zero to 70 K's nup no problems.

Battery voltage--- fully charged.

Tomorrow we will take it to a dealer if we can get it booked in and run a Diagnostic test on it through the Diagnostic port in the engine bay.

As a matter of interest we thought we could unlock the car by flicking the interior door lock in he door panel--Forget that it did not work for us--try it on your own car--make sure the window is down so you can do this.

Thanks again to all who contributed to this rather interesting problem--hope we an find the right answer so all can benefit :wink:

Kind regards
Anne n Ben

ps--Thanks Dazzler----After a time break of approx 24 hours the system worked normally which made me wonder why it has reset itself. I am of the opinion that there is an issue with a sensor related to anything from a wheel speed sensor to a blown light bulb and even a faulty brake switch--I am unsure where that is located but the suggestion given to me was it maybe under the steering column---hopefully someone with a diagnostic tester can find a solution :crazy1:
  • 2009 I30 Std 5 door

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Cheers for the update. Don't you hate intermittent faults!

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
If the lights come on on the way to the dealers do not stop or turn off the engine just continue to the dealers.

At the dealers leave the car running so they can see the lights for themselves
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
That was probably a better way to put it than I did.

No! Daz , your post was the best. :winker: :) :)
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal