i30 Owners Club

N-Line steering and suspension settings on a standard i30 2021?

Offline sunsetred

• 1st Gear

• hu Hungary
      Budapest
Hi All, I ordered a standard wagon/estate i30 with 1.5 T-GDI MHEV engine and i-MT manual transmission. This engine has relatively high power, 160 hp, and this is the same engine that comes with the 2020-2021 top N-line models. Mine is not an N-line. But I tried one with the same engine and I can tell that the power steering and the suspension are slightly better on the N-line compared to the standard trim level. According to the official communications the N-line only gets different setting, not different components. My question is, would it be possible somehow to modify the power steering and suspension settings on a standard car to make it similar to the N-line? I asked my Hyundai retailer, they said that a suspension modification would cost an arm and leg and there's no point to do that but I'm not sure they totally understood my question. Thanks!
  • 2021 i30 SW 1.5 T-GDI MHEV i-MT

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You would require the N-Line springs and shocks and being OEM components they probably will cost an arm and leg, likely cost both arms and legs for the steering column.

Does the 2021 CW wagon have independent rear suspension? I believe the N-Line has a torsion beam rear end so I'd expect issues there with fitment.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 16:00:40 by CraigB »

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
n-line has multi-link rear suspension here - I'd guess it does in Hungary too.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
n-line has multi-link rear suspension here - I'd guess it does in Hungary too.
Thanks for that :goodjob: I guess the steering and suspension feel differences between the two vehicles could also come down to the N-Line using bigger wheels with low profile tyres :undecided:

Offline sunsetred

• 1st Gear

• hu Hungary
      Budapest
Hi Craig, Lorian, many thanks for the helpful answers. Yes, the larger wheels might make a difference, indeed, and yes, n-line has multi-link in Hungary as well. However I read somewhere that the estate version is an exception from that, meaning n-line estate gets basic rear suspension. I'm not sure about that though. Actually my wife is very pleased with the softer suspension so I wouldn't insist on changing that, but the force feedback :wink: I mean the power steering could be much heavier for my taste. I would think naively that the steering is just a matter of software setting, am I wrong?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Larger/fatter wheels and tyres will add some extra weight to the steering feel if you need more than what is provided via the button on the steering wheel.

Offline sunsetred

• 1st Gear

• hu Hungary
      Budapest
Hi, via the button on the steering wheel? what button?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hi, via the button on the steering wheel? what button?
Unless there has been a recent change or a locality difference between vehicles :undecided: but there has always been a button on the steering wheel controls that alter the steering in three different weight settings...Comfort - Normal - Sport

Maybe PD models have it somewhere else, or don't have it at all :undecided:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 14:58:31 by CraigB »

Offline sunsetred

• 1st Gear

• hu Hungary
      Budapest
Ah of course, now it's called Eco - Normal - Sport and the button is placed next to the gear stick. Very unfortunate placing imho if you want to use it regularly.  :rolleyes: It alters the throttle dramatically (eco vs sport) but not much the steering.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal