i30 Owners Club

Cabin Heater not working after shop replaced water pump

Offline 9999jah

• 1st Gear

• dk Denmark
Anybody have any thoughts on this. Took my 2009 I30 1.6crdi to the shop for the last 5 year warranty visit. No problems just oil, bulbs and filters. They called my the day before pickup and said they thought there were some shavings in the water system. They were in the process of an antifreeze change. They believed it could be the water pump that was on the verge of failing. I said fine I can wait another day and they changed the water pump. It has been rather warm here in Denmark and I didn't notice that the cabin heater wasn't producing warm air. I called the dealer and he said they were booked up for the next 3 weeks and I would have to leave the car for a day. I am convinced that they did something when they emptied the coolant system I just don't know what. The dealer said he thought it was an air pocket in the cabin heater, that sounds strange to me as the temperature gauge for the motor and the coolant sytem for the motor seems normal. Is there a thermostat for the cabin heater ? Did they inadvertantly disconnect the cabin heater when they changed the water pump ? It seems like there should be a simple solution for this problem as the heater worked flawlessly before the water pump change. Any Ideas ?? Thanks Ahead of time Jim Hallahan
  • I30 1.6cdi

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Jim

:wttc:

The water allways flows through the hoses in the cabin, there a switch directing the air from outside either around the hot hoses or bypass them only allowing the outside air into the cabin.

If there's air in the system you can hear it when the coolant flows through the system.

Bad time right now not to have the heater working.... :cold:   (for you OZ guy's; it's been 2ºC today)
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I think the air flow control is not electrical but a bar which is attached at both ends by a push on link.
Similar to my old accent.

Has this come off under the dash or in the engine area?

Or have you checked to see if all electrical push inplugs are in place.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
The dealer said he thought it was an air pocket in the cabin heater, that sounds strange to me as the temperature gauge for the motor and the coolant sytem for the motor seems normal. Is there a thermostat for the cabin heater ?

An air pocket would have been my first thought.  When I used to drain and fill my vehicle's coolant, I always made sure the heating controls were set on maximum hot, whether that would have made a difference to your or more modern cars I'm not sure?

Have you checked the coolant level, has it dropped?  I personally would open the cap where you top up the coolant, have the heater on maximum and try squeezing the radiator hose/s under the bonnet and seeing if I could shift any air.  Not claiming to be an expert, just saying what I would do. 

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Do you get any change in temperature at all? Even if there was an airlock, which i dont think is likely as its always flowing, it would still get warmish.
I'd definitely be checking heater controls.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline 9999jah

• 1st Gear

• dk Denmark
Hello everybody thanks for all the advice. I took a look under the hood and can only see 2 hoses that could be related to the cabin heater. As the shop only did trivial warranty work oil change filters etc. I doubt if anybody touched the heater controls in the cabin. The problem is somehow related to the water pump change and the refilling of the coolant system. Tried squezzing the top hose on radiator and got some air out but that hose is pretty much empty all the time and probably only has water in it when the thermostat opens. I do get a little bit of heat out of the heater but when it drops to minus degrees here it won't be enough for comfort and will probably have trouble defrosting the windshield. Still stumped by it  :disapp:
  • I30 1.6cdi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
No, the top hose is supposed to be completely FULL of coolant. Air is excluded from the cooling system to maximize the amount of coolant available to the engine AND to exclude oxygen, which will allow oxidation of your internal water jackets in the motor. Even the little hose to the reservoir should be full of coolant, not air.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline 9999jah

• 1st Gear

• dk Denmark
Thanks for the information, if the top hose is supposed to be full of coolant then I know what the problem is (AIR). I can press the hose and get the expansion tank to bubble and overflow - depends on how quick and hard i press the top hose. If that hose i supposed to be full then there is an awful lot of air in the system. I could feel there is water coming though once in a while which i thought was just a normal thermostat opening and closing. To be honest I am a bit worried about the color of the water in the expansion tank. I had imagined it would be a blue'ish og red'ish depending on the type of anti-freeze they use at the dealership. I come from Detroit myself and it looked like water right out of Rouge river right behind the big Ford steel mill. It was a murky brown and looked like sewer water. I can't believe that an authorized Hyundai dealer would deliver the car back to me after a warranty/service check where they did a water pump replacement and not fill the cooling system including anti-freeze properly and correctly. They were the ones that told me that they thought there was a bit of shavings in the coolant system to begin with and recomended the water pump replacement. Cold and disappointed in Denmark.
  • I30 1.6cdi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The coolant should have been replaced when the water pump was fitted. I hope they haven't reclaimed your existing coolant as this is easily contaminated once removed from the system.

The workshop manual recommends to it's technician's that the customer be advised to check the coolant level FOR THE FOLLOWING TWO WEEKS, as air locks in the system will require a return to workshop, for top up. You need to get back to the workshop and find out about the quality of coolant in your system and get it exchanged and or properly filled ASAP.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal