i30 Owners Club

1.6 CRDI tapping/knocking. Any ideas ?

alex2jz · 30 · 10689

Offline alex2jz

• 2nd Gear
Hi fellas,

From 2014 to 2016 i've been the proud owner of Ceed 1.6 GDi. I loved a lot and wanting some more torque, i went for a brand new Ceed 1.6 CRDI 136 Euro 6.

The car was absolutely amazing when i picked it off. The engine was extremely quiet and vibration free, i almost thought it was a petrol and not a diesel.

After about 150kms after a powerful burning smell in the car, the engine started tapping intermittently. Now, after 2800km and two visits to the dealer, that solved nothing (no errors, no codes, no nothing):

- The engine sounds awful most of the time, especially at cold starts in the cold weather - it taps at idle until it reaches operating temp, then it taps during driving
- Average FC went down the drain since around 500kms on the clock
- Lately it feels kind of sluggish
- On cold starts the exhaust smells extremely bad (kind of an old diesel truck), though the car itself doesn't smoke
- Sometimes i can hear a fan running for no reason ( AC is off, not DPF regen because it's continuous)

Tried:

- Got fuel from 3 places - no changes
- Did an oil change - no changes
- Software check at the dealer - no new software version, no codes, injectors seem fine

I do around 70% highway driving. So no, it's probably not the DPF.

Here's a video of the sound (this particular video was filmed during or after a DPF regen - i could smell it):

:link: 1.6 CRDi engine tapping or knocking - YouTube

Any ideas fellas ? My previous awesome experience with the other Ceed is slowly dying on me.

• Ceed 1.6 CRDi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Sounds nice to me. Naturally the engine will change as it begins to wear in. If you're really certain that it is too noisy, I can only suggest looking at the valve train for any clearance issues.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The engine in my 2010 diesel sounds like that. It always has.

Offline alex2jz

• 2nd Gear
You guys really make me feel like i'm crazy :))

I have owned two diesel engines so far both PSA : 1.6 HDi 110 and 1.6 BlueHDi 120 and neither of them had this knocking/tapping sound. What i found strange is that the car was awesome in the first 150kms. Then it gradually started tapping and the overall refinement and FC went down. There are times when it sounds like a bag full of rocks/nails. Although vibrations are still almost in-existent.

I've seen threads on this forum with owners having the same issues with the U2 engine, and never managed to get them addressed. Personally, i still don't think that these sounds are normal for a 100% healthy diesel engine.
  • Ceed 1.6 CRDi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
wish mine was that quiet
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
:whsaid:

My 2014 GD2 (Hyundai, not Kia :P) was immensely quiet when brand new. Only took a couple of hundred miles to get all rattly, like a bag of chisels.

Always thought that was normal though...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline alex2jz

• 2nd Gear
Hmmm... based on your feedback I'm starting to think that maybe it's a characteristic of these engines ? They lose the new refinement very quickly and this is the usual way they function? Which is such a pity, because it had the potential to be the most refined diesel engine ever.

The PSA 1.6 BlueHDI engine has a lot of vibration and overall more industrial feeling compared to the CRDi engine, but they sound a lot smoother at cold idle and during acceleration. The 1.6 CRDi sounds knackered in those conditions, when the issue manifests. Although, sometimes it taps badly, sometimes less (almost gone) and makes it a joy to drive. Very strange !
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 10:14:50 by alex2jz »
  • Ceed 1.6 CRDi

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
Sounds normal to me too. I cant hear it in the cabin though. As far as I know its part of the lubrication process, different engine oil might reduce the noise. Its usually worse right after service, when the oil is new. In older engines this sound was usually masked behind other engine noise, new ones are so quiet that you can hear it.

Nothing to worry about though. :)

FC is probably inconsequent because its a new engine, mine stabilized around 12000km.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
If you say that FC and performance have altered, a valve not fully opening or something like that, would produce similar results. Highly unlikely as the Diesel engine is almost bulletproof but you may have an exception. It's even possible that a spring has snapped or weakened.

Offline alex2jz

• 2nd Gear
Sounds normal to me too. I cant hear it in the cabin though. As far as I know its part of the lubrication process, different engine oil might reduce the noise. Its usually worse right after service, when the oil is new. In older engines this sound was usually masked behind other engine noise, new ones are so quiet that you can hear it.

Nothing to worry about though. :)

FC is probably inconsequent because its a new engine, mine stabilized around 12000km.
It can be heard in the cabin as well. As a rapid "tap, tap tap" sound. I don't personally think it's normal lubrication sound as it wasn't present in the first 150kms, and then it only gradually got worse. Also it varies in intensity and the overall refinement of the engine isn't the same.

I have already changed the original oil, and it actually ran great immediately after the oil change. The returned to it's old habits.

From what i can personally hear, it seems to be something unrelated to engine internals. More like injector, timing, fuel pump etc. But nothing comes up on the software and there are no drive ability issues, so it's going to be tricky to isolate.

If you say that FC and performance have altered, a valve not fully opening or something like that, would produce similar results. Highly unlikely as the Diesel engine is almost bulletproof but you may have an exception. It's even possible that a spring has snapped or weakened.

If that would be the case, it's going to be tricky to have it fixed unless something extreme happens - drive-ability issues, CELs etc

« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 14:33:48 by alex2jz »
  • Ceed 1.6 CRDi

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Still under warranty so why not book it in and see what the service guys say
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline alex2jz

• 2nd Gear
Still under warranty so why not book it in and see what the service guys say

I did. No issues found according to them ... Guess i'll just have to wait and see how this develops.
  • Ceed 1.6 CRDi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I would still recommend that the valve cover be removed just to allow inspection of the valve train. There are 16 valves in this engine.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Brings to mind "stim wow"  :lol:

:link: 55 Days at Peking (1963) - IMDb
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline alex2jz

• 2nd Gear
By looking at some videos on youtube, i cam across some ones showing camshaft failures on TDI engines. I think it kind of sounds similar, although much,much worse than the sound in my video. Location where the sounds is coming from is also similar:

:link: TDI Camshaft failure 2006 Jetta BRM PD - YouTube
  • Ceed 1.6 CRDi

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The sound on your first video is quite similar to other i30 diesels. However, I cant be too exact because the video sound may cause it to be less or exaggerated.
If you have a broken component, such as a valve spring etc , typically the sound will be there all the time and will be different to the other 15 valves or 3 cylinders.
I have found that diesel noise will increase if the suction valve/pressure regulator on the fuel pump is faulty and too much fuel is being delivered. This may also account for your increased FC.
That said, maybe your injectors have 'bedded in'. Also check common rail pressure , there is a sensor on it, the rail sensor and pump regulator 'talk' to each other via the ECU.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Our 2014 GD 1.6 CRDi is still very quiet. It has its odd rough start up, but we probably don't think anything of it when it's compared to my 09 FD CRDi, although I think that it's still smooth with 160,000km on the clock

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I notice that there a number of online rants about Common rail diesels becoming noisy. The culprit appears to be the injectors.
As I said above 'bedding in', for want of a better word.
 :link: What about injector knock/rattle? - Berrima Diesel Service
A word of caution- berrimadiesel admits that this is his best theory, not evidence based.

It is apparent that some i30 owners have different experience to others. Maybe the variable quality of the injectors is an issue. However, I doubt that Bosch will admit that their product quality changes from Monday to Friday.

In the case of the Creed, maybe they have produced a retro model with that distinctive Kia sound. :evil:  Ooops Sorry.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline diesel1984

• 3rd Gear
This sound from video is not normal for this engine.

Tapping sound is probably coming from injector cooper washer not sealing correctly and loosing some compression around.
You can test it by spraying some soapy water around injector body when engine is idling.
  • 1.6crdi

Offline alex2jz

• 2nd Gear
This sound from video is not normal for this engine.

Tapping sound is probably coming from injector cooper washer not sealing correctly and loosing some compression around.
You can test it by spraying some soapy water around injector body when engine is idling.

Thanks for the answer !

Shouldn't an injector leak cause starting issues, poor idle, surging etc ? I have none of these symptoms. Also i have attached the results of the injector check i did at around 800km ODO (has got worse since then)
  • Ceed 1.6 CRDi

Offline alex2jz

• 2nd Gear
I have briefly checked the injectors with engine cover off and it seeing other videos with leaking injectors on YT i don't think the injectors have a seal issue. Also the sound doesn't appear to be coming from the injectors at all. More from the right-upper side of the engine bay. Two injectors seem to have a bit of something that looks like fuel vapor next to them, but from what i saw the sound didn't come from them and they would not blow air at all, indicating that the seals are good.

Now it taps worse on cold idle. It's a metallic like tap tap tap, that goes away on idle when the engine reaches operating temperature. Driving me crazy !

:link: WP 20161202 17 15 44 Pro - YouTube

:link: Injector picture
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 16:41:18 by alex2jz »
  • Ceed 1.6 CRDi

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Can only give you some observations. Your readout at 800km is showing a lower average for #3 injector while other three injectors are identical .  :confused:  Has this changed.
The diesel 'spill' near 2 & 3 is curious given the age of the car. Not alarming or evidence of a leak. I assume that it is diesel.

So tapping on the right side ( to be clear, the drivers side???) of the engine bay could be coming from timing gear , air cond compressor, alternator etc. Don't forget belt and belt tensioner.

To pin-point the item, take off the engine cover and idle the engine; now use your stethoscope .
It is possible that you are not a doctor,   :'(  so instead , use a short length of rubber tube ( 20mm diameter is good).  Hold one end to ear and move the other end over various areas of the engine until you find the culprit.
Its an old outback trick that Ive used for years.
 100% success usually and mostly always never fails!!  :D
good luck :)

Be careful of rotating parts and electrical connections
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 09:00:37 by Phil №❶ »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Gary, You are a handy guy to have around!  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
:lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks Gary, You are a handy guy to have around!  :goodjob:
Now I remember; that's what my wife once said ...when I gave her an i30.  :cool:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline alex2jz

• 2nd Gear
Can only give you some observations. Your readout at 800km is showing a lower average for #3 injector while other three injectors are identical .  :confused:  Has this changed.
The diesel 'spill' near 2 & 3 is curious given the age of the car. Not alarming or evidence of a leak. I assume that it is diesel.

So tapping on the right side ( to be clear, the drivers side???) of the engine bay could be coming from timing gear , air cond compressor, alternator etc. Don't forget belt and belt tensioner.

To pin-point the item, take off the engine cover and idle the engine; now use your stethoscope .
It is possible that you are not a doctor,   :'(  so instead , use a short length of rubber tube ( 20mm diameter is good).  Hold one end to ear and move the other end over various areas of the engine until you find the culprit.
Its an old outback trick that Ive used for years.
good luck :)

Hi ! Great tips mate. However :), the driver side in my country is on the battery/Air filter side. So now i'm thinking it's either coming from inside the engine (bad), or maybe from the fuel pump which is on that side from my experience. In the last video i made they kind of were two distinct sounds apparently coming from 2 locations, which kind of makes me even more confused (tapping wasn't at it's worse either because temperature was around 10C). I guess i have to keep investigating and hope something gives. The car drivers very well in general, i think the lack of power was just in my head, because in the last couple of days it was pulling amazingly.

Regarding the average on injector #3, it only reads a different value at the begining of the scan, maybe that's an error reading it. I'll do another injector check i guess to see if anything changed.

:link: vlc record 2016 12 03 09h33m46s WP 20161201 11 46 07 Pro mp4 - YouTube
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 09:09:27 by alex2jz »
  • Ceed 1.6 CRDi

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Ok left hand drive.  :)  Would be helpful if you add your location to your profile.

The sound on your video sounds like the average Hyundai CRD. I can get the same sound variations moving a microphone over my FD motor or others that I work on.
But, the human ear is more selective so you could be picking up an unusual sound.
To be specific, take my advice and use the 'stethoscope'.
Good luck :)

Offline alex2jz

• 2nd Gear
Thanks for the suggestions mate !

Car ran great today, minimal tapping when cold and practically no tapping afterwards. Also the car was pulling fantastically, like it had a remap lol

From this point, i will just have to wait and see how this develops, it's also winter and i won't be going to dealer until spring.

Keep you updated.
  • Ceed 1.6 CRDi

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :) No problem.  Hopefully it is a glitch that has corrected itself. If I was a gambler, I would wager that you had a dodgy injector. Don't leave home without your rubber tube. :)
Cheers

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal