i30 Owners Club

The car does not want to start up

Offline mihajlo

• 1st Gear

• mk Macedonia
      Skopje
Hi everyone,
I am an owner of Hyundai I30 1.4 from 2008. The car has 128.000 km and there were not any problems till recently. Everything started with the fact that the car had problems starting up. The engine did not want to start from a first time. It was cranking, but it did not want to start from first attempt. I though that the battery was a problem and I checked it with the battery from my other car, and the car started from first attempt. So i bought a new battery. That was around 5 pm. After several minutes, the accelometer started acting weird. When I kept the gas pedal steady, it displayed normal rpm, but when i accelerated it was way off for at least 2000 rpms - for instance the pedal and the engine acted like it was 2000 rpms, whereas the board accelometer displayed at least 4000 rpms.
(similar to this :link: Hyundai i30 rpm problem - YouTube)
 I thought that the ECU is wrong or it needs to reset, so I unplugged the battery and plug it again - same problem. After 2 hours the car acted strangely! At first, it stopped at a traffic light when kept at low rpm. After that, I started the engine again and drove a little bit and the car acted like it was choking on several moments. Then again, at low rpm, the engine stopped, and after this it did not want to start over.
The next day, I called an electrician with a car computer to check it. We did not find any problems or the ECU did not notify on any problems whatsoever. But the car started once, and the engine was on for several seconds. After that, it was cranking, but it did not want to start.
I left the car at a mechanic, and put the car once more for tests - again nothing. After mechanical inspection, they think that it is the crankshaft sensor (I don't know if this is the same as RPM sensor). They said that after they changed the sensor, they left the car operation for 30 mins and then again the problem.
I am completely out of my mind... please help
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 12:58:13 by mihajlo »
  • Hyundai i30, 2008 1,4 petrol

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome mihajlo. Sorry to hear of your problem.  Would be very frustrating and stressful.  I can't help, but please be patient and hopefully someone who sees your post will have some ideas. I will alert our super tech to the thread as well... @cruiserfied
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal