i30 Owners Club

Kona Go. Any thoughts?

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
My Cousin is living over on the dark side (Perth) and has an old RAV4 thats been serviced by Kmart  :faint: :rolleyes:,
A recent fault was diagnosed by me as possibly coils  :happydance: then frigged about with by a Toyota dealer  for two weeks (consultancy = $1600).  :Pout:
 Verdict, Kmart had installed aftermarket Chinese coils --- take car back to them.  :spitty:

Consequently, Cousin is now asking me about the Kona Go.
 My only knowledge about it is- sat in one- comfortable- quite large for a 2.OL ; said to be a bit under powered.  :undecided:
And no I didn't take it for a drive, it was blocked in by 10 other wrecks. :cool:

Any advice please?
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
My son has a Highlander.
Certainly not underpowered but maybe a different power train.
I'd love one.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
On the shortlist for the Wife next year.

I haven't bothered to test drive one yet, just casting the net.

I suspect if the I can't source a cheap i30 diesel, I will look elsewhere.

If it isn't urgent to replace it, I would keep an eye on the 1.6t models, which can drop close in price to the go.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline galixia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
I just recently looked at them. The Go had the 2.0lt in it which was alright. The highlander and AWD models have the 1.6lt Turbo.

Pretty similar inside to the I30 which its based off. Just the boot was alot smaller. Boot space was a big factor for me, it was shallower and also not as long (couldn't fit our pram in it). Handled alright etc for what it was
  • 2018 I30 Active

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
My Cousin is living over on the dark side (Perth) and has an old RAV4 thats been serviced by Kmart  :faint: :rolleyes:,
A recent fault was diagnosed by me as possibly coils  :happydance: then frigged about with by a Toyota dealer  for two weeks (consultancy = $1600).  :Pout:
 Verdict, Kmart had installed aftermarket Chinese coils --- take car back to them.  :spitty:

Consequently, Cousin is now asking me about the Kona Go.
 My only knowledge about it is- sat in one- comfortable- quite large for a 2.OL ; said to be a bit under powered.  :undecided:
And no I didn't take it for a drive, it was blocked in by 10 other wrecks. :cool:

Any advice please?
Try our friend Johns 2017 review - it does go on a bit
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I just recently looked at them. The Go had the 2.0lt in it which was alright. The highlander and AWD models have the 1.6lt Turbo.

Pretty similar inside to the I30 which its based off. Just the boot was alot smaller. Boot space was a big factor for me, it was shallower and also not as long (couldn't fit our pram in it). Handled alright etc for what it was

If my Son is still playing Cello it might rule it out. Though perhaps we could put a seat down, but with the kids getting older. As it stands it is the i30/Corolla hybrid/Kona and Sportage diesel (if i can get a deal and the wife is happy with the size).  I would look at an Ioniq plug in hybrid if the price was to drop (or incentives for novated leases were to increase).
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Shonky Kmart :disapp:

I’ve driven a friends Active Kona, handles well with the same chassis as the PD i30’s, the 2ltr is nice and smooth and only 10kw less than the higher turbo models, for some unknown reason Hyundai decided to reduce the output of the 1.6 turbo for the Kona  :confused:

Servicing is cheaper on the 2ltr anyway, only thing that I really didn’t like were the plain plastic door cards but that’s just superficial stuff as I liked the rest of the vehicle.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Shonky Kmart :disapp:

I’ve driven a friends Active Kona, handles well with the same chassis as the PD i30’s, the 2ltr is nice and smooth and only 10kw less than the higher turbo models, for some unknown reason Hyundai decided to reduce the output of the 1.6 turbo for the Kona  :confused:

Servicing is cheaper on the 2ltr anyway, only thing that I really didn’t like were the plain plastic door cards but that’s just superficial stuff as I liked the rest of the vehicle.

Thanks Craig. Are you saying 2 x motors  available for the Go and to get the 2.0l?
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Only the 2ltr comes in the GO and Active I believe, the motor seemed fine though...I’d be happy with it  :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I've had a loan for a day of various versions of the Kona and it has started to grow on me. It has grown on Trish to. If we got one it would be as our 2nd car for Trish in place of her 2014 Tourer.

Like Craig says the 2.0 petrol combined with a conventional 6 speed auto drives ok. Certainly not gutless by any means.

The 1.6 T which also gets the 4WD drive train is nicer though as it still has the same torque as the i30 SR

My understanding is you can get most varients with either the 2.0 auto or the 1.6T dual clutch / 4wd by paying an extra $3000 or so.

At list price the i30 is better value as you get things like auto cruise and sunroof etc in the i30 for less than the equivalent Kona which missed out on some of this stuff.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks to you all for your input.  :goodjob2: :goodjob2:
Went and had a look myself yesterday. Head salesman with bad breath and no understanding of power to weight ratio, he wanted to sell me the base Go for $23,000.

It is an appealing vehicle, but I look from the Kona  to the i30 and ask why?
At best, the Kona is only a wet lawn 4x4. If its the Go, not even that.
 It does not have SantaFe or Prado size , extra seating and carrying capacity,  in fact , the i30 has more boot space.
The Poms might tow with it but rational people would not..
If you are obese and geriatric, the Kona's wider doors may be a plus.
As a normal driver, the i30 would be my choice. If I wanted an SUV, I would buy something larger and more functional.

Dazz I will send your comments with mine to the Dark Side and let her decide. Many thanks mate.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
He had a look at the Kona - just because it was there - when Elena was shopping around for her PD. A curious 'distortion' of the i30 but I didn't get any wow from it. Too much compromise in wanting to be more than i30 size, more than i30 value and resulting in being less of both, IMHO.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Si Señor, We are on the same page.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My Eldest Daughter is a bit keen on trading her manual Focus ST on a small SUV with the Kona one of the favourites. But alas, she went off the idea when she discovered it doesn't come in a manual. The Qashqai does but none available to test drive and the Renault captur does but only in the 900cc 3 cylinder.  I think she would find both under powered after her ST.

I did confirm even the base go can be had with  the 1.6T at a price. 

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Here's a go with the 1.6T option...

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Does it also come with the unresolved warm start issue?  :whistler:

Because of that I warned her off it, also she would be a long term owner , so I will get the blame when she gets a giant bill for the dct overhaul.

Talking with Dark side cousin, I suggested going diesel...but..probably a dealer has talked her out of that idea  :clapthanks:.

When I spoke to Hy Sales Manager at Brendale.  :toldyou: It said they dont stock diesels, have to order one in if customer insists.
Same comment from a member recently.

:crazy1: Best motor they have.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Kona doesn't seem to be ringing many positive bells.
How about "up-sizing" to Tucson?   :winker:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Then again,  a works burger and $10k cheaper  :undecided:
:link: 2014 Hyundai ix35 - Pickles

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Then again,  a works burger and $10k cheaper  :undecided:
:link: 2014 Hyundai ix35 - Pickles

Only thing is it is petrol rather than diesel. Holding its price well!

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

I think you are following me Mick  :scared: this is my 2016 crdi last Thursday

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

My Dark Side cousin has a Phd. and is also in constant touch with God. Between them they KNOW the Kona is for them.  :rolleyes: :wacko:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

My Dark Side cousin has a Phd. and is also in constant touch with God. Between them they KNOW the Kona is for them.  :rolleyes: :wacko:
Good. She'll enjoy it.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good. She'll enjoy it.

:mrgreen:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Good. She'll enjoy it.

I'm serious.
Great car and I'd have one tomorrow if I was in the market right now.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Good. She'll enjoy it.

I'm serious.

Ive remained neutral . Essentially the choice is i30 Hatch or the Kona i30.
I dont see any reason to bag either, on the basis of reliability. Although , for my personal safety, I have steered her away from the 1.6T and dry clutch.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'd go for the normal auto, certainly.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
And for something else to ponder, this gem ,
:link: 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe - Pickles

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm serious.
:whsaid:

Smaller luggage space wouldn't bother me either, can always fold the rear seats down if needing extra room.

If mostly city driving the standard auto will also be a better choice :goodjob2:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I'd go for the normal auto, certainly.

If mostly city driving the standard auto will also be a better choice :goodjob2:

I have 2 GD crdi autos. One dct 80,000Km it has a transmission rattle, and is as quick off the mark as a manual.
The other has standard slush box auto 112,000 km. Quiet as, at normal pace on the open road, its the same as the dct.
If I need to choose, it will be the slush box I will keep.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal