Dazzler · 31 · 11733

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@NayuluTjuta Here you go Bob..

Takes about an hour (same for all three series of i30 really) I think the dealer quotes about an hours labour in the price if they fit them for you as an aftermarket add-on.

A bit fiddly and awkward unless you take the wheels off.

Tip: Use a big Z shaped screw driver if you have one. The screws supplied have a biggish notch in the head and a smaller Z screwdriver tends to slip off. You need to turn the front wheels both ways if you want to use a short conventional screwdriver to do those.

The Genuine Hyundai set of 4 for the PD are under $80 for 4 if you shop around. They are reasonable quality and fit snugly. They say to discard the screws and clips that you pull out but I didn't as I find them a handy size and type for other tasks.

The screws supplied are nearly identical (perhaps a couple of millimetres longer).

Back

Front

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline NayuluTjuta

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Murraylands, SA

• Alias OURI30
Thanks @Dazzler.  Simple enough really.  Had a look on eBay and found some in Adelaide for $77 + $11 postage.  I can pick them up from a dealers parts department and save the postage.

Might combine it with a bonnet protector and save postage on that as well.

Bob
  • i30 PD SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks @Dazzler.  Simple enough really.  Had a look on eBay and found some in Adelaide for $77 + $11 postage.  I can pick them up from a dealers parts department and save the postage.

Might combine it with a bonnet protector and save postage on that as well.

Bob

The smoky bonnet protector looks quite nice. Interestingly enough I think it goes on the section above the grill (in front of the bonnet)

I think they can be a bit of a leaf catcher, so I've never had one. If you go with the smoked one it hides most of the grime that might build up under it. :cool:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I think I would look at some clear wrap for the nose, it wouldn't be noticeable and still protects from stone chips :)

Like this stuff :link: Clear paint protection film, clear car bra, stone chip protection. 3M protective film.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 09:16:38 by CraigB »

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I still don't know what a "mudfap" is, but it sounds like an .. err .. interesting pastime :snigger:

Quote from: Topic Title
Fitting Mudfaps to a PD i30
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah they're not exactly flaps are they, I think Hyundai list them as Splash Guards or Mud Guards.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@CraigB  I think Steve was just taking a shot at my typo.. I've always called them Mud Flaps or Mudflaps (fixed title now)

I still don't know what a "mudfap" is, but it sounds like an .. err .. interesting pastime :snigger:

Quote from: Topic Title
Fitting Mudfaps to a PD i30

I think I would look at some clear wrap for the nose, it wouldn't be noticeable and still protects from stone chips :)

Like this stuff :link: Clear paint protection film, clear car bra, stone chip protection. 3M protective film.
Yes, that looks and works better (a bit dearer though probably) Mind you the "bonnet" guard isn't cheap at $130 retail ($110 trade)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Yep, Firty had them fitted as part of my complete package but like most newish cars, they're not exactly the big rubber curtains used by our red centre's B-Doubles. :lol:

They were just something else to discard when fitting the sideskirts. :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline NayuluTjuta

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Murraylands, SA

• Alias OURI30
I've paid $77 for the stone guards, mud flaps or whatever you want to call them.
The smoked bonnet protector was $105.

If your in Adelaide or SA and can pick them up (Stillwell Parts, Regency Park), the prices are great compared to full dealer price.

Bob
  • i30 PD SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I've paid $77 for the stone guards, mud flaps or whatever you want to call them.
The smoked bonnet protector was $105.

If your in Adelaide or SA and can pick them up (Stillwell Parts, Regency Park), the prices are great compared to full dealer price.

Bob

They must sell everything at trade! I've known the Parts Manager at the local dealer for about 25 years. He gives me trade prices. Even though he was on Long Service Leave I got my "Flaps" for $77 too.. The Adelaide place you got yours from was the only Aussie one on Ebay when I looked.

Offline NayuluTjuta

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Murraylands, SA

• Alias OURI30

They must sell everything at trade! I've known the Parts Manager at the local dealer for about 25 years. He gives me trade prices. Even though he was on Long Service Leave I got my "Flaps" for $77 too.. The Adelaide place you got yours from was the only Aussie one on Ebay when I looked.

That's interesting to know that it trade pricing.  I think Stilwell are the SA Hyundai distribution centre for parts.  They also have Ford parts and Kia as well.  Last time I got some stuff for the ix35 I had and the i20, it was as easy as pie.

Bob
  • i30 PD SR Premium

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I bought Firty at Stillwell Hyundai, Main North Rd. Same dealer, right?

Offline NayuluTjuta

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Murraylands, SA

• Alias OURI30
I bought Firty at Stillwell Hyundai, Main North Rd. Same dealer, right?

Yes, same dealer, but the parts outlet is at Regency Park, not far from the Coopers Brewery.  I bought an XY Falcon from them back in 1971.  They've been around for a long time in SA.

Bob
  • i30 PD SR Premium

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Yes, I've lived many more years seeing 'Stillwell Ford' than 'Stillwell Hyundai'. Mmm, Coopers ... reminds me of the home brew kit I bought some years ago. I might just crank it up again for a batch of cider. :D

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Those bonnet protectors are certainly leaf catchers. They are also difficult to clean the inside.
In addition (just my opinion) they are not very effective these days given the angle of the bonnet. Most of the bonnet is still in an unprotected line of flying stones.
One other issue with them is that people walking (brushing) past in shorts can catch the edge of them and snap them off.
My Corolla came with one fitted and there's already (it's 4 years old) a couple of small stone chips about halfway back along the bonnet. It also came with headlight protectors and "mudflaps".
IMHO mudflaps are really designed to stop stones being thrown up at cars behind you. These things are more just about reducing the sill damage from stones under your own car. Not that that's a bad thing.
Of course, headlight protectors also have to be removed to allow proper cleaning of the headlights.  :crazy1:

PS. Forum is very slow to load pages and upload posts in the last half hour or so. My other forum is working quickly.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline NayuluTjuta

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Murraylands, SA

• Alias OURI30
Yes, I've lived many more years seeing 'Stillwell Ford' than 'Stillwell Hyundai'. Mmm, Coopers ... reminds me of the home brew kit I bought some years ago. I might just crank it up again for a batch of cider. :D

Love my Coopers Pale Ale.

By the way, Maun Thiem Ford also sell Hyundai and Kia.  It's a changing world.

Bob
  • i30 PD SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Those bonnet protectors are certainly leaf catchers. They are also difficult to clean the inside.
In addition (just my opinion) they are not very effective these days given the angle of the bonnet. Most of the bonnet is still in an unprotected line of flying stones.
One other issue with them is that people walking (brushing) past in shorts can catch the edge of them and snap them off.
My Corolla came with one fitted and there's already (it's 4 years old) a couple of small stone chips about halfway back along the bonnet. It also came with headlight protectors and "mudflaps".
IMHO mudflaps are really designed to stop stones being thrown up at cars behind you. These things are more just about reducing the sill damage from stones under your own car. Not that that's a bad thing.
Of course, headlight protectors also have to be removed to allow proper cleaning of the headlights.  :crazy1:

I tend to agree with those observations Trev
PS. Forum is very slow to load pages and upload posts in the last half hour or so. My other forum is working quickly.

I thought it was my browser (Using IE 11 I think instead of Chrome which is quicker but doesn't like my password manager) :undecided:

Offline butters7388

• 2nd Gear
Picked up a set of mud guards today for $77 too. Will fit them after I give it a wash.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline pkmaster

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Ontario, Canada
I'm also looking for some mud guards for my PD. I was wondering if any online sellers you've come across will ship to Canada for a reasonable price (under 20 CAD preferably). Ebay.ca reveals nothing at the moment.

I really don't want to stick with the flaps I've thrown on for the winter season for too long, but it seems to do the trick for a bit under 10 CAD.

Click here to laugh away.
  • 2018 PD 5 Door Hatch, 2.0l Gasoline, Auto, White

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm also looking for some mud guards for my PD. I was wondering if any online sellers you've come across will ship to Canada for a reasonable price (under 20 CAD preferably). Ebay.ca reveals nothing at the moment.

I really don't want to stick with the flaps I've thrown on for the winter season for too long, but it seems to do the trick for a bit under 10 CAD.

Click here to laugh away.

Oh dear!  :snigger: I see what you mean!

Any chance of negotiating with your local Hyundai Dealer? Go see the part department and see what they want for originals. Tell them you were going to buy on line, but the guys (and girls) on the Hyundai Elantra GT forum suggested you see what the best price your dealer could do first. Trade price which I nearly always get is about 20-25% off.  :goodjob: (worth a try)

P.S. I couldn't find any with cheap or free shipping to Canada but you could maybe get some from Korea direct (but I don't know much about their sites)

Offline pkmaster

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the tips. I'll give the dealership a go some time soon before the big winter rush.

The sooner those things can come off, the better. For now though, I'll convince myself I'm doing everyone's windshield a favour by keeping them on and keeping the rocks on the ground.

It's odd that I couldn't find mud guards on ebay that ships to Canada. I managed to grab some Gledring i30 PD mats from Slovenia, some cabin air filters and SAFE window deflectors from Korea, and some perfect fit magnetic sun shades from the Czech Republic, but I guess mud guards are too elusive for Canada? Ah well. Gotta count my blessings I guess.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@pkmaster   

Just be aware, for your climate they are purely cosmetic. Very small and as Surferdude has said previously, probably only good for offering a bit of stone protection for the sills. My car is a real dirt magnet even with the mud flaps/ splash guards.

I think if I lived in harsher climate and didn't have the SR (or sport model) as in your case, I would look for some generic ones and shape them nicely, but make them a bit bigger than the genuine ones. K-mart over here has generics that aren't too bad. I'm sure you would get similar ones over there. :cool:

Offline pkmaster

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Ontario, Canada
@pkmaster   

Just be aware, for your climate they are purely cosmetic. Very small and as Surferdude has said previously, probably only good for offering a bit of stone protection for the sills. My car is a real dirt magnet even with the mud flaps/ splash guards.

I think if I lived in harsher climate and didn't have the SR (or sport model) as in your case, I would look for some generic ones and shape them nicely, but make them a bit bigger than the genuine ones. K-mart over here has generics that aren't too bad. I'm sure you would get similar ones over there. :cool:

Thanks for the heads up. I'll leave them on for now and take them off at the end of the season. It's getting a bit too chilly to tinker with it now. The dealer wants 120 CAD for 4 as well. Tried to talk them down, but they wouldn't budge. That's way too much for a few pieces of injection molded plastics.

I'll keep an eye out for some thic generic flaps like you've suggested. I think our equivalent store to kmart would probably be Canadian Tire. Hope my crafting skills are up to the task.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@pkmaster   

Thanks for the heads up. I'll leave them on for now and take them off at the end of the season. It's getting a bit too chilly to tinker with it now. The dealer wants 120 CAD for 4 as well. Tried to talk them down, but they wouldn't budge. That's way too much for a few pieces of injection molded plastics.

I'll keep an eye out for some thic generic flaps like you've suggested. I think our equivalent store to kmart would probably be Canadian Tire. Hope my crafting skills are up to the task.

Yes, that is price gouging. Your $ is roughly in parity with ours and I paid only trade price of A$77 as did several others. I think retail is around the A$100 mark.

Our Kmart is more like a Walmart I think but most Auto Accessory shops have generic mud flaps. You may be able to buy some that are a good fit and bigger than the genuine but not too ugly (without modification) :goodjob:

Offline butters7388

• 2nd Gear
@pkmaster   

Yes, that is price gouging. Your $ is roughly in parity with ours and I paid only trade price of A$77 as did several others. I think retail is around the A$100 mark.

Our Kmart is more like a Walmart I think but most Auto Accessory shops have generic mud flaps. You may be able to buy some that are a good fit and bigger than the genuine but not too ugly (without modification) :goodjob:
I picked up a set for $77 AUD, just retail price no discounts or anything. Unless the dealer I went to sells to the public at trade prices...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@pkmaster   

I picked up a set for $77 AUD, just retail price no discounts or anything. Unless the dealer I went to sells to the public at trade prices...

Maybe they have reduced the price?

Offline ikev85

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      Columbus, OH
I know mine is a GD - but i really like the rally style mud flaps. Rokblokz or Rally Armor

photo image hosting
  • 2014 Elantra GT, 6sp

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
My FD came with the factory flaps fitted but they hardly seemed more than insignificantly minor plastic protrusions, which were happily dumped when the body kit went on. :D

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi ikev85,
You're using RB's on your GD, but what car are they for  or do you still have part number?
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline ikev85

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      Columbus, OH
I got the generic ones without any predrilled holes or hardware. I have factory mud guards and used the factory hardware, laying the Rockblokz on top.

There is enough clearance that the tyres don’t rub.

They offer Veloster predrilled models, but I didn’t want to take chances with it not lining up and having to drill more holes.

:link: Rokblokz Universal Rally Mud Flaps. 3 Sizes! FREE SHIPPING! - rally mud flaps

I like how this keeps some three dimensional looks. I took the factory guards off my partners Subaru Crosstrek before fitting RB’s and didn’t like how it looked from the side.
  • 2014 Elantra GT, 6sp

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal