i30 Owners Club

material quality GD

rfacor · 11 · 4926

Offline rfacor

• 1st Gear

• gr Greece
Hello everybody.My First post in the club!
i Own a i30Gd 1.4 crdi and i would like to express my concerns about the quality of materials and long term reliabilty of my car.
i own the car for 2.5 years and covered just 15550 kilometers.
i am satisfied with fuel consumption and the car is rattle free.
Here is some pics of the premature wear and tear of my beloved car.

tailgate door surface corosion.

passenger side door trim scratches tha won't go away with cleaning

rear suspension dust cover peeling off

front wheel arch cover peeling off

What about your Hyundai's?have you noticed meterial quality issiues with yours ?
  • GD 2015 crdi

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I agree the interior plastics do mark easily, luckily I've only got a small scuff on the lower part of the glove box which isn't too visible.

The slight surface rust on the hatch is a concern and something you might want to see too sooner than later, I'd spray or brush some white rust stop primer on it if were me.

The peeling on the shock boot and inner wheel liner is normal, that's just the transit coating peeling away, I blew all that coating out of my wheel arches with the high pressure hose in the first week of ownership :)

Offline rfacor

• 1st Gear

• gr Greece
thanks i thought that the actual rubber coat of the shock had already dry rotted and falling apart.
an other thing i have noticed is that door frames are not actually painted ,but it's a kind of black duct tape .if you rub with your finger you can see it creasing :-(
OK i might seem too concerned about those little things,but i hadn't encountered with my past cars i owned.
  • GD 2015 crdi

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
an other thing i have noticed is that door frames are not actually painted ,but it's a kind of black duct tape .if you rub with your finger you can see it creasing :-(
Quite a few brands are moving to the vinyl wrap on the door/window edges, I'm guessing it's done like that because of it being a high traffic area and the wrap withstands the abuse better than paint :undecided:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Is the car under warranty, does it cover corrosion?  Not sure what I'm looking at for the door but looks like ideally it should have a bead of seam sealer along that edge then painted.

I only have the FD series but I've found a spot in the rear hatch area from the roof line where the panels meet and join in the corners. With body flexing the join opens and water also drains around there so the obvious happens.

There's definitely parts of the car that could be improved, plastics is one. Slightest graze and it marks like yours. apart from that mechanically my FDs are pretty good
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
As still under warranty take it back and have dealer sort it so long as inside out and not outside in
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
As still under warranty take it back and have dealer sort it so long as inside out and not outside in

Looks like surface rust to me Lester. Can't see how it could be from inside there.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Looks like surface rust to me Lester. Can't see how it could be from inside there.  :cool:

I agree but would personally get it checked out to be sure.

That way if it does develop into something more then it has been recorded for future reference.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

I agree but would personally get it checked out to be sure.

That way if it does develop into something more then it has been recorded for future reference.
:goodjob2:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline rfacor

• 1st Gear

• gr Greece
Thank you all for your advice.
My car is still on warranty.

But i think you have to go annually to an official Hyundai
workshop  for a  body work inspection,for the anti-corrosion warranty to be valid!
i think i have read it in the owners manual in the terms and conditions of the warranty. :question: :question:

i will give them a visit and try to persuade a  fix for the corrosion,if i let it i know that it will get definitely worse.
Also i hear a slight knocking on the drivers door when i go over potholes so i will tell them to give a  check on  that also.
  • GD 2015 crdi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thank you all for your advice.
My car is still on warranty.

But i think you have to go annually to an official Hyundai
workshop  for a  body work inspection,for the anti-corrosion warranty to be valid!
i think i have read it in the owners manual in the terms and conditions of the warranty. :question: :question:

i will give them a visit and try to persuade a  fix for the corrosion,if i let it i know that it will get definitely worse.
Also i hear a slight knocking on the drivers door when i go over potholes so i will tell them to give a  check on  that also.

Good idea to go to the dealer and try for a warranty fix on what I suspect is just surface rust. If they decline which is possible then hit it with some anti corrosion treatment as suggested by Craig. I'm sure either way it's nothing to stress too much about.
If you do end up treating it yourself, which is often the better option as you will probably do a more thorough job have a good look around for any other areas worth a treatment at the same time.

The scratchy plastics on a couple of spots would be the only one of those quality issues we've noticed on our 4 i30's.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal