i30 Owners Club

Dash Cam Power from Internal Fuse Box

Offline jonnyplantpot

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hello,
I have a 2016 Hyundai i30 Tourer S (UK)

I have a dashcam and I've run the wiring round to the fuse box, below the steering wheel. I'm using a piggy back fuse tap to power the camera. This is the 4th time I've fitted one of these, including on a 2010 i30 and a 2007 kia c'eed - I hope someone can help me because I think I'm going mad...

No matter what fuse use for the tap it instantly turns the camera on, I don't even have the keys in the ignition. I've tried the power windows, media, one that looks like a picture of the radio antenna (which I assume is the radio power) and the power sock adapters - based the the labeling on the inside of the fuse panel cover. I did double check things like the radio wouldn't work and the power windows wouldn't work. I'm using the screw that is bottom right of the fuse box as the ground. Obviously if I leave it in that state, I'll be waking up to a flat battery in the morning.

I gave up on that and with the piggy back tap and a multi-meter I can see there is 12 volts between the screw and the fuse circuit. I've done the same check on one of the screws above the fuse box, with the same result.

I did have the drivers door and the door behind it open while I was doing this.

My question is, what am I missing? Its like the whole car is powered up, even though nothing works and the keys aren't in it. Surely this can't be just because the doors were open.

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks, Jon
  • 2016 i30 Tourer S, Diesel 1.6, Manual, White

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :wlcome01: Jon,

Sorry, I can't explain that or really come up with any better suggestions. Hopefully somebody will.

Saying that you could try tapping into either the cigarette lighter/12 volt socket from behind or the front compartment light (both of which are only powered when the ignition is on) Although the front compartment light does have some delay built in....  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
:wlcome01: Jon,

Sorry, I can't explain that or really come up with any better suggestions. Hopefully somebody will.

Saying that you could try tapping into either the cigarette lighter/12 volt socket from behind or the front compartment light (both of which are only powered when the ignition is on) Although the front compartment light does have some delay built in....  :undecided:
:goodjob2:

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Most of the circuits are "always hot", even the immobiliser ,for obvious reasons. Cant point to the specific circuit, but suggest you need a "start and run" cct. ,for instance, to the fuel pump. Check fuse and relay box in the engine compartment.

Tw has just posted ahead of me and is essentially saying same thing  :goodjob2: mate
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I'm hoping I got the right vehicle and they call these Smart Junction Boxes so not 100% how they work but maybe things do go active when the car is unlocked for a period of time?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Most of the circuits are "always hot", even the immobiliser ,for obvious reasons. Cant point to the specific circuit, but suggest you need a "start and run" cct. ,for instance, to the fuel pump. Check fuse and relay box in the engine compartment.

Tw has just posted ahead of me and is essentially saying same thing  :goodjob2: mate
Actually Dazz is on the money that cct diagram show hot on ACC or ON. The lighter socket, power outlet are too shown that go live on key and the respective fuse location numbers

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
let me know if what I have posted matches what you see of PM me the vehicle VIN :mrgreen:

Offline jonnyplantpot

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi folks
Thanks for the help, very useful info.
I'll have another dig around this afternoon and see what I can find.
(I suspect this is going to be one of those cases where it takes me a while to work out but I'll learn a lot)
Jon

Offline jonnyplantpot

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi.
 had an hour this morning and I've got it working.
That blue circuit diagram posted by tw2005 got me there.
Weirdly, on my car, the cigarette lighter fuse (with the icon in the diagram) is always on, but I tried the Front Power Outlet and that was OK to use. Module 6 was OK to use as well.

Anyway, thanks for the help.
Jon
 :ta:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi.
 had an hour this morning and I've got it working.
That blue circuit diagram posted by tw2005 got me there.
Weirdly, on my car, the cigarette lighter fuse (with the icon in the diagram) is always on, but I tried the Front Power Outlet and that was OK to use. Module 6 was OK to use as well.

Anyway, thanks for the help.
Jon
:goodjob2:

I like pictures, don't be afraid to post some of your handy work. Could handy for others :victory:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
thanks for the help.
Jon

Appreciate the thanks mate. All Credit to Tw.  :goodjob2:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I wired my dashcam off a 5V USB socket wired straight into the 12V circuit that powers the dome light without drama.

As for my GPS, since it needed the original power adapter as a radio antenna to pick up live traffic data (RDS), rather than replace it, I ran it under the dash mat straight into the fuse box and wired the positive of this unmodified cigarette lighter adapter to the hot side of the ACC feed with the negative attached with an alligator clip to the metalwork beside it. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal