i30 Owners Club

I30 SR PD2 spacesaver tire replacement

Offline Tristan60d

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South East QLD
Hi everyone,

So I am looking at getting an sr very soon and was under the impression I could upgrade the space saver tire to a full size alloy (have heard of people doing this) however was told by the dealer today that it was impossible and could not be done. Has anyone on here done it before and have photos? I thought i saw a video once of someone doing it.
  • i30 SR PD2 Premium Auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi everyone,

So I am looking at getting an sr very soon and was under the impression I could upgrade the space saver tire to a full size alloy (have heard of people doing this) however was told by the dealer today that it was impossible and could not be done. Has anyone on here done it before and have photos? I thought i saw a video once of someone doing it.

You may be able to pick one up aftermarket  off ebay or similar.  If you really want a full size spare though, a full size steel wheel is easy peasy to pick up for next to nothing and then just source a cheap brand name tyre.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Could the dealer be referring to the inset where the spare sits.

Looking at my space saver and full size wheel, the full size is deeper so the board cover will not sit correctly.

Sent from my ATU-L11 using Tapatalk

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Tristan60d

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South East QLD

Looking at my space saver and full size wheel, the full size is deeper so the board cover will not sit correctly.

I was under the impression that the coger had two positions and would just need to be raised to the highest position if it was to have the larger tyre in it (aka less boot space but would still fit).

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
That was my understanding too. Infact a number of articles have suggested negotating in a full size spare in the deal.

That said the stealer would probably look to use the retail price of the wheel/tyre against you in the deal.

I would keep it up my sleeve until the stealer becomes resistant on going lower on price. Otherwise Gumtree or Ebay are a good source as already said.

Oh and don't believe dealers, they told me my diesel i40 didn't have a DPF after checking with the service manager.

Suffice to say they didn't get to service my car  :whistler:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

I was under the impression that the coger had two positions and would just need to be raised to the highest position if it was to have the larger tyre in it (aka less boot space but would still fit).
At the PD launch in Sydney last year they made the point that a full sized spare would fit in the wheel well as long as you raised the cover (and slightly reduced boot space). Although the space under the cover and outside the wheel would still store stuff.
Had me confused for a while as to what a "coger" was, till I looked at my keyboard.  :mrgreen:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Tristan60d

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South East QLD
Should be putting my deposit down tomorrow... pretty happy with the price I have gotten to. Dealer has told me they can not put the tyre in as it wouldnt be covered by warranty >.>

And i dont think he is screwing me around... he just genuinely has no idea what he is talking about haha.

Offline Tristan60d

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South East QLD
Haha good detective skills!

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Yes, when we picked up Mrs G's PD SR Premium, we requested the cargo cover and discussed the adjustable (standard) cover feature. I quietly noted that this accommodated a full sized wheel if desired while what we got was the usual space saver, which I think is a good compromise for choice, since we value the boot depth more than the full sized spare. I didn't bother discussing it with the dealer because I didn't expect them to know. :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Should be putting my deposit down tomorrow... pretty happy with the price I have gotten to. Dealer has told me they can not put the tyre in as it wouldnt be covered by warranty >.>

And i dont think he is screwing me around... he just genuinely has no idea what he is talking about haha.

Mmmm, like to know who your dealer is. :disapp:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline AEdwards59

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Mont Albert, Vic
I've just been told by the dealer and Hyundai that the updated PD2 SR is unable to accept a full size spare. Anyone with experience who can shed some further light on the topic?
  • I30 GD Elite Automatic 5 dr Hatch 2014

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I've just been told by the dealer and Hyundai that the updated PD2 SR is unable to accept a full size spare. Anyone with experience who can shed some further light on the topic?

Yes, it would be because the upgraded the stereo in the PD 2 with a subwoofer which I think is somehow incorporated into the boot floor above the spare. In my PD1 SR the boot floor had two positions. I lowered mine to sit flush with the top of the spacesaver as Iike to maximise boot space. But I believe the new PD2 SR only has one level.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
In my PD1 SR the boot floor had two positions. I lowered mine to sit flush with the top of the spacesaver as Iike to maximise boot space. But I believe the new PD2 SR only has one level.

Yes, my PD2 do not have 2 lvl flooring - I did look into this before buying my PD2.  It is nice to have a full size spare, yet of all the years i've been driving - I think i only replace the tire like 3 - 4 times hence I was not too fussy with the space saver tire. 

The extra boot space and the doof doof is more useful :)
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal