i30 Owners Club

i30 7-DCT nearly impossible to drive in traffic jam.

Offline Dislokaatio

• 1st Gear
Hello guys!

Last week i purchased brand new i30. It is 1.5 T-GDI 48V Mild-hybrid with 7-DCT dual clutch transmission. Model year is 2022.

Problem since very beginning has been that car feels very hard/jerky/nearly impossible to drive in traffic jam, and it feels very hard to drive "slowly" in general.

Here the traffic works like: stop->drive with 0-5km/h speed for like 10-15secs->stop->repeat. Sometimes traffic goes longer with that ~5km/h speed.
That slow speed feels very impossible to achieve. When i press throttle just so i can feel clutch kicking in, the car immediately goes to atleast 15-20km/h speed. Maybe its the mild-hybrid technique that boosts too much, dunno?

What happens always is that i try to press throttle as little as possible, but car just goes too fast, so i pretty much immediately have to take foot off the throttle, then because its mild hybrid, it will start regen battery (I can't disable/change behavior of that), and by doing that it slows speed too much, so i have to press throttle again, and same goes on.. its very jerky ride, and i dont know what i can do about it..

Previously i've only driven torque converter transmissions, and i had zero issues in traffic with them. Yes i know DCT is different technique and in general its not best for traffic drive, but can it really be like this bad, in year 2022?

I've tested both ECO and Normal driving modes, no differences really.

I don't believe there is any mechanical problems, after all we are speaking week old brand new car with lesser than 1000km driven totally.

I'm not saying that i'm perfect driver, but car is made for normal people for normal usage, traffic jams are very much normal condition in traffic.

I'd like to hear any recommends or experiences from you guys that what i can do, or can i really do anything to achieve that smooth rush hour experience with this car and transmission?

Thank you beforehand :)
  • i30 1.5 T-GDI 48V Mild-hybrid 7-DCT

Offline Bob.W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Coffs Harbour
Hi,
I just spotted your post and though it's a while after you placed it I thought I'd reply. I have a 7 speed DCT fitted vehicle as well (MY18 PD).

Firstly, the reality is that any DCT fitted vehicle is really not suited to metro driving.....atleast based on the 'best practice' for driving a DCT that I'm aware of - which advises not to 'creep' in your car - which to me implies moving very slowly, stopping regularly and repeating over and over.  Essentially exactly what occurs in a high levels of traffic.

My understanding is that this stresses the DCT as it's constantly 'trying' to move up to that next gear but then it stops and so it has to instead load the lower gear or similar. It stresses them.

I've experienced how near impossible this is to avoid - on the rare occasions I've driven to a metro area here in Australia - I live in a rural spot. And it's near impossible.

There's really only a couple of things I can suggest;
First, try not to stress about it too much - while this isn't ideal for the DCT it's not has harsh on it as other behaviour - perhaps ask your dealership about their suggestion.

Secondly, I assume you can change into 'manual' gear mode?  I've found in high traffic this can be easier - as you're overriding the DCT's tendencies to chage when it thinks is right.  And I'd imagine if you're in 1st or 2nd - you could 'creep' when traffic moves with much less stress on the DCT if it's 'locked' in place.  Easy to switch back and worst case scenario if you forgot and revved the DCT will change up/down to protect the engine from over revving or being too slow for a gear.

Alas I don't think the makers have educated folks well on DCTs - and many don't have the first idea about how they differ from torque converters - hence the issues many have. :-)
  • 2017 PD 5 door hatch, diesel 1.6lt, auto

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal