i30 Owners Club

I30, FD, 1.6 CRDi - high engine oil consumption

Offline Muzz258

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Timaru
Hi

Just noticed that my i30 has consumed 2 L of engine oil over the last  8,000 km.  Car has 80,000 km on the clock.  Is this sort of oil consumption common?

Regards

Murray
  • 2015 GD i30 1.6L CRDI Wagon

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Definitely not, I'd get it looked at, first thought is the turbo is about to let go or seals are going.

One owner, logbook service history 80000K? Serviced regularly and on time?

Excessive turbo noise? whine/whistle?

Smoke trail?

No leaks?

I got a 387000K example with nil oil consumption, had a blown turbo when i got it = massive oil consumption, seals blown and olil dumping through the exhaust.

My other 2, one with 220000K uses no oil and the other has about 80000K also nil consumption
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 03:36:39 by tw2005 »
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :whsaid:

We've had 4 x i30's all different models and engines (including a diesel) None have used any oil between services.

Good lucky with it. Hope it's not an expensive fix.  :fingers:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline noels_hobby

• 2nd Gear
I have an I30 and the security guard where I work has the same 2010 fd both serviced by dealer 7500 services i use hyundai turbo diesel oil (white 1lrt bottle with blue writing shell logo in corner) = shell helix ultra ect3 c3 5w30 oil he uses the dealer supplied oil similar km around 210 000 his has had massive oil consumption 2+ltr between services and two failed turbo chargers car blows massive amounts of smoke and lacks power when the turbo fails, mine is as is. The dealer has been using castrol 10w30 oil in every thing they service. both cars have full stamped service records but it means nothing if the wrong oil has been used. I have massive arguments with this dealer here in Brisbane over the use of non Hyundai products     

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal