i30 Owners Club

power steering i30 FD

Offline sulin909

• 1st Gear

• pl Poland
      Poland
Hi everyone,

I`ve got  a little problem with my I30   :-[ Today I decided to replace stering wheel coupling ( typical for each Hyundai and Kia). Knocking stopped but my power steering  started making noise when I moving the streering wheel even the car is turned off. Seems to me that  it sounds like demaged bearing. I suppose that I could demage enigine, because I didnt centered engine and rest od mechanism properly first time. ( Power stering engine is rotating when I moving stering wheel when car is turned of or not?)  How I cen fix it? The easiest way is buy new power steering but it cost so much. I would like to buy used part but I can`t find part with te same number. Part bumber is important or only need to buy part from car with the same engine from the same year? Or I can buy part with another number and put in my old controller to this one? I will gratefull for your help  :)
  • i30 FD

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi everyone,

I`ve got  a little problem with my I30   :-[ Today I decided to replace stering wheel coupling ( typical for each Hyundai and Kia). Knocking stopped but my power steering  started making noise when I moving the streering wheel even the car is turned off. Seems to me that  it sounds like demaged bearing. I suppose that I could demage enigine, because I didnt centered engine and rest od mechanism properly first time. ( Power stering engine is rotating when I moving stering wheel when car is turned of or not?)  How I cen fix it? The easiest way is buy new power steering but it cost so much. I would like to buy used part but I can`t find part with te same number. Part bumber is important or only need to buy part from car with the same engine from the same year? Or I can buy part with another number and put in my old controller to this one? I will gratefull for your help  :)
I doubt a bearing is gone in the column and if the noise was not there before and is now then something to do with what you've done. maybe record the noise and provide a link.
The motor rotates with the column at all times when the wheel is turned.

have you gone back into the coupler and checked it all fitted correctly and there is no debris left in there from the old one.

Could any of the trim be not fitted correctly and rubbing?

Apart from noise is it operating correctly?

What number are your referencing?

563102L600 manual tilt only, up to 2011
563102L700 tilt and telescopic, up to 2011
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline sulin909

• 1st Gear

• pl Poland
      Poland
I am sure that I fitted all corectlty ( I dissasebled and assembled everything 2 times :confused:)  Leter I record noise and show it. Except for noise stering wheel works corectly. I don`t feel that it is weak or getting stuck. In my i30 i have got part with number 563002L700.  I dindn`t know that only difference beetwen parts with ending 600 and 700  is  extra adjustment (Thanks a lot for information :) ). Eventually if I have to replace power steering and I wouldn`t found part with the same number can I mount part with ending 600 to my car without any problems with electronic ? I think I could handle with only one adjustment.
  • i30 FD

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi everyone,

I`ve got  a little problem with my I30   :-[ Today I decided to replace stering wheel coupling ( typical for each Hyundai and Kia). Knocking stopped but my power steering  started making noise when I moving the streering wheel even the car is turned off. Seems to me that  it sounds like demaged bearing. I suppose that I could demage enigine, because I didnt centered engine and rest od mechanism properly first time. ( Power stering engine is rotating when I moving stering wheel when car is turned of or not?)  How I cen fix it?

As my colleague has said, unlikely to be anything damaged.

Be aware that the power steering will remain 'powered' if the steering is not centred. Wheel will be light to turn. Disconnect battery to turn it off or check this situation.

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal