i30 Owners Club

1st service looming...

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
and need the following attended to
1. handbrake adjusted
2. Rear wash needs adjusting
3. new drivers wiper, although excellent condition smears badly(screen has been cleaned and used differnt types of screen wash)
4. Right hand side of speedo cluster dropped into dash by 1 cm
5. Dash rattles galore
6. Car struggles to start when cold, glow plugs !!.

Car registered 12/2010, I bought 05/2011 with 7 miles now done 8K miles, so not brilliant to have so many problem.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I'd be particularly concerned with the last three (maybe 4 and 5 are related), but I would consider the first three normal wear and tear on the vehicle.  I think there has been an issue with the quality of the wiper blades recently (I'm sure I saw it mentioned here).

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Where are you located - is your car Korean or Czech built?

Unusual to have so many problems - but the dealers will sort it out if mine is a typical example of the Hyundai dealership service
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'd be particularly concerned with the last three (maybe 4 and 5 are related), but I would consider the first three normal wear and tear on the vehicle.  I think there has been an issue with the quality of the wiper blades recently (I'm sure I saw it mentioned here).

:whsaid: Yes definitely had bad feedback on MY11 wiper blades (although my wife TrishCW says hers are fine)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
@ Alan im located in Buckinghamshire, car booked in & despite warranty work, dealer wants £12 for loan car per day.
Not sure is Korean or Czech built.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
@ Alan im located in Buckinghamshire, car booked in & despite warranty work, dealer wants £12 for loan car per day.

I had to pay a tenner last year, theey say it's to use their insurance <sigh>    I am prepaid so I will want the loaner just on principal  :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=6298.0

On the left you will see Czech and Korea above/below Vin

You can then tell where your car originates from from the first 3 letters.

Details can be found either bottom right of the front screen in a small cut out or on the sticker on the passenger door stand
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
OK, service done and off to collect car, they did not hear dash rattle, rear was & hand brake adjusted, i complained creaking noise when turning, car needs new sterring column at 8K miles, truely shocking, they have to also inevstigate when operating rear washer, from washer operates.
Oh and they wont replace smearing wiper as new wiper will probably do the same thing as there is a known problem with the wiper arm on the i30, dealer aware of problem but cannot fix, I have asked Hyundai what there going to do about it, as its a safety related item.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=6298.0

On the left you will see Czech and Korea above/below Vin

You can then tell where your car originates from from the first 3 letters.

Details can be found either bottom right of the front screen in a small cut out or on the sticker on the passenger door stand

Is yours a Czech model?

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My 1.6 CRDi Premium i30 was registered 09/2010 so about the same age as yours.

Your car will almost certainly be Czech built - not that this is all that important because the early quality problems with Czech cars are well in the past. My car has now done 12,000 miles and the only problem I have had is the chrome trim on the alloy wheels blistering. These have been replaced twice under warranty.

If the garage is correct that smearing wipers is a known problem they cannot do anything about - I feel left out because mine have been fine. If it really was a known problem I would have expected more members here to have mentioned it.

Regarding the charge for the loan car - I was asked to pay £8.50 to be covered by their insurance. There would be no charge if I provided my own insurance but that would be more expensive. I was not charged for the loan car when it went in to have the alloy wheel trims replaced the first time - the second time they were changed was at the first service when I paid the charge for the loan car.

I hope it all gets sorted for you satisfactorily.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Carrickferugs, Northern Ireland, UK

• My other car has no roof :O Mk1 MX5 1.8
Not being funny, have you tried wiping the blade in one direction with a damp chamois or something similar? to remove road traffic film?

Surprised to see so many faults myself, must be a 'Friday' car.
Glad the issues are getting sorted now for you.

Were i work in the Hyundai dealer we don't charge for loan cars, it's all included in the price, with a wash and vac :) and a smile :P
  • Premium 1.6 CRDi 2008 MY

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
@ syecadelic have tried every trick in the book.
So good news & bad news, when I booked car in was quoted £191 all in, but this based on mileage not time,  I advised car due on time, price £152 all in.
Go to collect car, £191, I advise £152, so they reduce price, it was pouring with rain and mentioned the wiper is next to useless & a safety issue, so dealer has agreed to order new wiper arm, spoke to one of the receptionist, they have had 4 wiper arms, there aware of the problem but Hyundai refuse to except its a known issue, they have also ordered steering column & windscreen washer pump, as operate rear wash & front is also operated, so not happy so many problems at 8K miles.
Get home look at invoice been charged for air filter with relates to the climate control & service check list says replace every 20K/24 months, I  call dealer asking how this mistake can happen, after all my car does not have climate control nor has it done 20K miles or 2 years old, receptionist goes on the defensive advising there are 3 service intervals for that car, really not impressed with this Hyundai dealer, problem is there the closest for miles, will never buy another Hyundai.
BTW with have two i30's in the house the other suffered from glow plug failure @ 1000 miles, yet took 2 months to sort.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Regarding the charge for the loan car - I was asked to pay £8.50 to be covered by their insurance. There would be no charge if I provided my own insurance but that would be more expensive.

My insurance say, this is ad libbed as I have not got it to hand,

Covered for vehicle registration number - ******* - and any vehicle loaned to the policy holder whilst the insured vehicle is at a garage for repair or service......

i.e no addtional cost.

Up to a few years ago I had to phone the insurance company and tell them the reg number of the loan car.  Again no charge, not even an admin charge...

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Hey sootytorgques, ur dealer doesnt seem to friendly.
Air filter, i assume u mean cabin/pollen filter?
This is changed depending on how often the air con is used, its a standard routine change, I rarely use my air con and normally ask the mechanics not to bother changing it.

I really haven't heard of so many issues with 2 hyundai i30's :(

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
The dealer is not brilliant, when we had the glow plug problems, we got Hyundai UK, Trading standards, SMMT involved and this has rubbed the dealer up the wrong way, there so un professional, any way car re booked for warranty work & refund for air filter which receptionist says its for climate control, so im guessing thats pollen filter, but hardly use a/c and car only done 8K miles in 12 months, dont forget bought the car in May 2011 with 7 miles on clock(car was pre reg in Dec 2010.

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Definately not goood. I know the service carries out a strict list of things that need to be changed. Maybe next time mention your pollen filter doesn't need change. Check your air filter (engine) if its still a nice fresh colour, tell that that it doesnt need changed either. Same with the screen wash, top it up yourself at home to save a few coins.

Still haven't told us your location tho?

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
I suspect if this dealership really is that bad, & I make no judgement either way here... then Hyundai will surely have heard of them & their Customers disatisfaction? From experience, dealerships treating Customers poorly is THE ONE THING that will hit Manufacturers hard in terms of Marque / Brand satisfaction. Fiat are hurt badly by their Dealr networks & struggle to do anything about it as not many garages are willing to take on the Fiat brand.
Hyundai are not so hamstrung in this sense, so complain to Hyundai Head Office I say, your experiences seem to fly in the face of most others observations & experiences in this Forum.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

:whsaid:
As well as coupled with a one off **two off** bad cars, really haven't heard anything so bad about them before :(
Colleague's brothers i30 engine seized, but that was due to not checking his oil, and the water pump had failed. Which he did not pick up on.
So the engine basically broke under Human error! Hyundai actually subsidized the replacement as a 'Gesture of Good Will'
Something they were not obligated to do in any manor what so ever.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Have to say this... again from personal experience.
It's SO easy to neglect an i30!
I dont go to a garage aymore every weekend to check my tyres as I have the monitoring system fitted. I dont wash it as much as its colour doesnt show up the dirt. I dont do as many miles these days so the service intervals are not at the front of my mind. It runs so well I have to force myself to do a weekly oil level check (it never drops...) The washer bottle is so big its easy to neglect that too!... Now as an ex Fiat driver I got pretty hot on all that stuff, so a very reliable car can become easy to neglect, especially when the night falls early in Winter & the weekends are cold & wet...
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

I dont know when i last checked my oil... not a good thing I suppose. My dealer sends out a service reminder tho, washer bottle gets checked and filled when needed, ive never let it empty, tyres get checked only if the alloys off getting cleaned.. not often either, just wash them on the car.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

refund for air filter which receptionist says its for climate control, so im guessing thats pollen filter,

This is a 2nd year service part

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Steering column, washer pump & wiper arm replaced, still got problem with water spraying on front screen when rear operated & also wiper smearing, really not happy, have contact Hyundai UK via internet, and waiting for a response.

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Update, Hyundai UK have just contacted me after 3 weeks waiting wih regard to the smearing wiper, they are aware of the problem, and waiting technical to come up with a fix, I have advised Hyundai UK its a safety issue as at times I cannot see anything, technical dont believe its a safety issue  is just crazy, problem is smearing & judder occurs at different speeds so one day at 60mph its bad, and other days its 40mph, im having to modify my driving just so I can see out the front windscreen.
Would be interesting if I was to hit a car, Hyundai Uk could not have been less helpful, just like when we had the Glow plug problem.
Im sorry to say I wont be buying a Hyundai again, bitten twice now !!.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :disapp: :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Did you remember to remove the protective clingfilm from the windscreen when you bought it?

Poor showing by our Hy chaps  :disapp:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
There is no cling film on the windscreen, what also annoys is that Hyundai have known about this problem, yet the dealer insisted it was the screen wash I was using, changed screen wash & wiper blades same problem, also on my service invoice it clear states there is a problem with the wiper & it also clearly states "that nothing can be done"which i find truely shocking, im not asking them to prepare the car to go to the moon just for a wiper to work, how hard can it be & why bother paying there crazy labour rates.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I was being flippant about the clingfilm

Have you tried washing the glass using a vinegar solution?

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Yeah tried everything, which was a waste of time as its a known issue, dont forget both dealer & Hyundai UK accept this.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yeah tried everything, which was a waste of time as its a known issue, dont forget both dealer & Hyundai UK accept this.

Have they changed their opinion, or have you got Hy UK on your side?

...there aware of the problem but Hyundai refuse to except its a known issue...

I'd be pushing for a new windscreen

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Its not a screen problem, but wiper arm, Hyundai could not have cared less & are not on my side.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal