i30 Owners Club

1st service looming...

Pip
While analysis of the cause could be lengthy it probably boils down to changing the pressure the wiper has to the glass.

While not able to provide a sensible method, if you can increase (say) the spring tension it might fix it. I haven't got the same arrangement as you but for instance can you fabricate a large rubber-band to assist the spring?

If you can demonstrate that this sort of thing can modify/improve the problem the dealer would surely have to listen.

It's just a guess but FWIW.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Do the arms need twisting so the blades are at right angles to the screen?  :undecided:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I still find it strange that Hyundai admit to a windscreen smearing issue because it has never been a problem on my car - which is Sept 2010 but higher mileage than your's. Also - I do not believe it has been a regular issue talked about on this forum with other members' cars.

It so happens that I am a fan of Rain-X rain repellent (http://www.rainx.co.uk/tips.php ) which I find very effective.  I have used it for 20 years. I give the screen a thorough clean and apply it monthly after cleaning the car.  The website I have provided the link for gives full details and a lot of info about screen smearing.

it is rare to need to use the wipers at speeds above 40 mph (65 K/h) and the harder it rains the more effective it is. As soon as rain hits the screen - it is blown up and off by the slipstream. The only time it is not so effective is when the rain is a very fine mist and when traffic chuck spray up off the road when it is not raining.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

it is rare to need to use the wipers at speeds above 40 mph (65 K/h) and the harder it rains the more effective it is. As soon as rain hits the screen - it is blown up and off by the slipstream. The only time it is not so effective is when the rain is a very fine mist and when traffic chuck spray up off the road when it is not raining.

That's interesting Alan.
Both my i30 and my previous Impreza would do that without the application of rainX.
A feature which is really great on the highway. And you're right about light mist or spray. But on a clear road - terrific.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hyundai Uk have said it only affecting a certain range, which I believe as our other i30 is fine, although dealer did have to replace both wiper's as the rubber became detached while they operating during a heavy down pour.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I have had to replace the rubber on the rear window wiper - which split along the thin bit which flexes - even thought the rear wiper has not been used all that often.

The rubber had gone hatd and brittle - so I bought a cheap refill and managed to cut it to length and slide it into place without the need for a new blade holder.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Didn't know you got that much sun over there. UV rays just love rubber.  :mrgreen:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I'm guilty of not reading the entire thread. I've only seen one of these issues - the smeary driver side wiper. Passenger side has always been fine.

I fixed the wiper issue (I think pip mentioned this) by:

Taking the wiper blade off (takes 1 second) and examining the blade, there was a small flat spot. Bending (gently!) the aeroblade got rid of the flatspot. Worked OK again for maybe a month.

When it strated playing up again, I bent the blade a little more, and also bent the drivers side arm towards the window ever so slightly as well yo increase the pressure on the screen. That was in winter last year, no problem since.

People in countries that don't have the aeroblades won't get this problem. Aeroblades are cleary art, a triumph of form over function.

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal