i30 Owners Club

1.6 CRDi Diesel Engine Noisy & Knocking Like A Petrol Engine Pinking ?!

jbh500 · 75 · 43201

Offline jbh500

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      East Yorkshire
My local Hyundai dealer has a very good reputation - time to put them to the test I guess!
  • 2010 1.6 CRDi CW Metallic Black

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Well, at least 1 good thing. The dealer's mechanic has heard the problem and labelled it "diesel knock". That is recognition of a difference in the normal operating sound of the engine and as such, requires further investigation. They can't send you away saying you're imagining things or "all our engines sound like that" excuse. Hopefully, they'll be able to find & rectify the problem, although I haven't got any idea what this could be. If an injector was faulty, I'd expect the ecu to say so if it's monitored that intensely.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline komaterpillar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba
if its an injector failure the ecu won't log a code unless there is a fault in the electrical side of the injector circuit. the ecu can not detect a mechanical failure in an injector ie. broken or missing nozzle, or a scored or sticky needle.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Good point kom, I was going to suggest that this problem would be in your area of expertise & invite you to pass your considered opinion on what's going on.  :neutral:

Offline komaterpillar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba
hard to say without hearing it for myself.

but here are a few possibilities
-may have dropped an injector or two (from water in the fuel or contaminated fuel)
-injector pump may be worn (from contaminated fuel) and down on pressure causeing the fuel to not completely atomise
-air filter may be blocked causing an excessively rich mixture when just off/coming onto boost
-depends on what the i30 diesels run, wether its a map sensor or mass airflow meter, may be faulty causing overfueling under certain engine loads

or it could be none of these  :wacko: i would only be guessing without seeing/hearing it myself

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I trust your guesses better than mine, all of those are bad news indeed except the air filter & at the low distance the car has traveled, I hope you're wrong.   :neutral:

Offline jbh500

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      East Yorkshire
Thanks for the suggestions guys! It's always good to have as much information as possible when taking the car in to the dealer. I am going to try and get the car back in to Hyundai later next week. Maybe get a little i10 as a loaner too! Always fancied a go in one of them!  :cool:

Offline komaterpillar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba
I doubt it's anything serious, my suggestions above are just a few possibilities, hopefully it might be something as simple as a reflash of the ECU with updated software? Toyota did this with their V8 landcruisers when they first came out, to fix a similar problem.

Fingers crossed for a simple fix  :mrgreen:

Offline jbh500

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      East Yorkshire
Got the car booked in with Hyundai for next Tuesday  :neutral: They haven't got an i10 available as a loaner but they can lend me a Getz  :eek: I'm really hoping that they can find the problem!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
A getz is a great little car  :goodjob: Hope they sort your problem quickly  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Robertsteve

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Derby
Hi everyone, been an avid reader of the forum for a while but only just registered! I have a 2010 1.6 CRDi 115PS CW with 5400 miles on the clock. I have owned the car from new. When I bought the car I was so impressed by how refined the diesel engine was - the most un-diesel like diesel I had ever driven! After 5400 miles though I have a bit of a problem that came on suddenly. The engine now has a harsher tone to it, especially around 1500 RPM and when I pull away under load in 2nd or 3rd gear from around 1200 RPM there is a loud knocking sound (like pinking in a petrol car only louder) until the engine gets to around 2000 RPM. It sounds like fuel detonation at the wrong time and seems worse when the engine is hot. Even my wife noticed the difference in sound when she drove the car and she is not very mechanically minded - she said it sounded much louder, like an old style diesel! The car runs ok besides this and the fuel economy hasn't changed. I have checked the oil and water and they are fine. I have got the car booked in with Hyundai next week but I was interested to see if anyone else had seen this problem so I could be armed with more information when the car goes in! Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply!

Hi jbh I have just joined this club but i have been reading alot of these comments on the i30 with interest. I am the owner of a Kia ceed Sw 1.6 crdi which uses the same engine as yours.I am a member of the Kia ceed forums, but have failed to find any body on there who has the same problem as mine. The symptons you are getting with your engine i am also getting exactly the same with mine. I have taken it back to the dealer only to be told that these engines are like that. I have found myself getting frustrated with the car as the engine at times sounds like a bag of nails. The car was purchased march it is on the 12 plate. Just wondered if your dealer managed to sort your noisy engine out so that i can go back to my dealer with a bit more clout to get mine sorted . cheers Robsteve.

Offline TrishCW

• 5th Gear
  • SWMBO at Dazzler's House

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• My little "GEM"
Hope you get all sorted, and everything is ok,

Mine is a petrol but it is going in on Tuesday for a tappet noise, my noise has stopped since I put BP in her. so fingers crossed all is ok.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Welcome Robertsteve,

Hope our I30 solution applies to your car too. We are always happy to help out our "cousins" too  :neutral:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome Robertsteve,

Hope our I30 solution applies to your car too. We are always happy to help out our "cousins" too  :neutral:

:whsaid: I thought you might have been from Tasmania to start with  :whistler:

One of our more active and popular members just bought the 2nd generation Ceed  :eek:

Offline jbh500

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      East Yorkshire
It's fixed! I had it in to the local Hyundai dealer on Tuesday and they test drove the car and confirmed the knocking / noise. They looked the issue up on the Hyundai database of known faults and found a technical service bulletin covering this exact problem! They replaced the injectors and now the car is back to its old smooth & quiet self! Very relieved! The little Getz that they lent me was fun too! Just a 1.1 GSi model but quite entertaining to drive apart from the indicators being on the wrong side! It's lovely to drive the i30 around again with the engine sounding sweet!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Excellent result.
Congratulations.  :goodjob:

:whsaid:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
That's terrific  :goodjob2: Glad you're happy, interesting they say it was the injector(s), does that mean they were all faulty at the same time.  :wacko: Still it's fixed, that's the main thing & thanks for reporting back too.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
The little Getz that they lent me was fun too! Just a 1.1 GSi model but quite entertaining to drive apart from the indicators being on the wrong side!

So how many times did you put the wipers on to turn right left :lol: :lol:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline jbh500

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      East Yorkshire
I'm not sure if they replaced all the injectors or just the faulty ones. The report just said "swapped out faulty injectors" but didn't say how many! And yes, I did turn the wipers on and off instead of the indicators in the Getz! Not good because it was pi**ing down with rain while I was driving it home!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm not sure if they replaced all the injectors or just the faulty ones. The report just said "swapped out faulty injectors" but didn't say how many! And yes, I did turn the wipers on and off instead of the indicators in the Getz! Not good because it was pi**ing down with rain while I was driving it home!
That is one of several reasons why I would have a Focus or Astra over here last time I drove one they were on the wrong side :fum:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

It's always a good thing to indicate to other drivers that it's raining though.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Hi all,   yes I have been otherwise occupied for the last month or more, but is did include a 2 week trip through the Kimberleys...   Fantastic... :goodjob2:

Ok   on this topic... my mate that just bought a diesel hatch... called me today and told me that his was making a "detonation" sound. done less than 8,000 KM..

To cut things short... he took it back to his dealer, they said that "yes , there have been some problems" and they will need to re-flash the computer.

First time it went through to the 50% download and literally " fried" the computer..

It was replaced and the flash done again.... got to 80% and FRIED the computer....thats 2 computers at $3500 each!!     :scared:

As it stands they dont know why.... they have provided a replacement car... as my mates car is unable to be driven. In the meantime they are again scratching their heads !!!!

So.... I will report back when I have more news....cant offer any other solutions or possible causes other than what has already been posted...

Cheers

Tony
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I look forward to hearing about your trip, Tony... :goodjob:

As for the pooter....Flash - a-ah! (sung in my best queen voice)    :faint:  :whistler:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Tony, hope you are better than your mates car (and that things are going well for you)

That is a weird one  :confused: :disapp:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
AFAIK Flashing the computer is only sending digital data to memory @ no more that 5v and miniscule current. You don't want any interruptions during this, so if there were sparks etc, then there is a serious wiring fault, or it wasn't connected properly, twice  :scared:

Offline Gwandad

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
My CRDI has had this problem on & off for the past year. Started around 5000 km from new. I did put in an entry, but  I can't find it now (silly old bugger, I know!!) claiming it sounded like a big end knock. The dealer had had the problem before & had a "fix" to flash the computer. That didn't last long & we have supposdly received a series of updates to the computer from the factory in Korea. Last time, 6 weeks ago, they said they were waiting on yet another fix. Will let you know if anything comes of it. Meanwhile we are driving around in a bucket of bolts, regretting the day we bought it.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Seems weird as people like me had a Feb 2008 CRDi manual for 28 month and 68,000 kms and never went near the Dealer the whole time (so no ECU updates and no knocking)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
We've got 2008 & 2010 models, never a hint from either of them. Why would all these updates be necessary. No one else needs them. I think the dealer is wrong & I would try another if possible.  :neutral:

Sorry you're not happy with your car.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal