i30 Owners Club

1.6 CRDi wines more than the Mrs!

Offline mattjcatchpole

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Surrey
Hi all,

This is my first post so apologies if it is a repeat/load of rubbish!

So... I have a 2007 i30 1.6 CRDi Premium with about 66k miles on the clock. Up until now its been a treat with no repairs except for a drop link or two (at £13 a pop its not much harm).

I noticed a few months a go its started to wine from a cold start and seems to go away when the engine has warmed up (weather I can't hear it when its warm could be an option). I use this car everyday and have put about 20k miles on the clock in the last 2 years.

The other thing is that when it does warm up its really quite difficult to put it in to gear, no gear in specific, just all gears at all times!

The wine I have looked into and it could be the turbo (sounds like a police siren!) but the fact its hard to get into gear, does this mean it could be the dual mass fly wheel?

Both repairs are going to be extremely expensive, so don't hold back! I'm expecting the worst.

Thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 23:27:18 by Phil №❶ »
  • 2007 i30 CRDi

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :wttc:

The whine could be the turbo, my cars have had a slight one that sounds a bit like a police siren, but not intrusive.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
:wttc:

The whine could be the turbo, my cars have had a slight one that sounds a bit like a police siren, but not intrusive.
In your case, it's probably just old memories kicking in.
Sorry, matt. Just an "in" joke.
I think you need to get someone to have a listen to the noise.
Did it start all of a sudden or has it developed gradually?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I am no mechanic, but surely gear selection should not be like that, so could the noise be related to the gearbox? 

Check the oil level in the gearbox?

My CRDi is a 2007 5 speed manual and the only gear that is slightly difficult to select is reverse.  Most of the time I feel for a second 'notch' during the selection of reverse and then I know I've got it.  If it ever - rarely - goes in like a knife through hot butter I start to second-guess myself ...
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Yes with the Gearbox (The way your post reads,it is manual) I would be dropping the old oil and replacing it with the recommended fully syn oil. I had a problem with one of ours, it hadn't done many miles and it was jamming into 1 3 5, they drained the oil to check for particles/bits and simply replaced it, soreted the problem.

As for the added turbo noise, again I have had the rather high pitched turbo scream, from the other one of ours, this was caused by a cracked then split intercooler hose, but the turbo noise slowly increased over time until just before it split completely, I started to have power issues and the car going into limp home mode.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 21:36:12 by The Gonz »
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline mattjcatchpole

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Surrey
Thanks for your advice!

I'll change the transmission oil and get the turbo checked out! Maybe it is a split intercooler or something.
  • 2007 i30 CRDi

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
After months of fighting with 4 dealers I had my turbo replaced on my 09 crdi. it was the bearings in the turbo.

while many people here have said it doesnt alter performance, it was very annoying.
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline mattjcatchpole

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Surrey
After months of fighting with 4 dealers I had my turbo replaced on my 09 crdi. it was the bearings in the turbo.

while many people here have said it doesnt alter performance, it was very annoying.

It must alter performance! If the turbo isn't spinning as fast as it was designed (worn bearings should cause unnecessary frictional resistance) then it wont be creating as much boost... Surely!?
  • 2007 i30 CRDi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Worn bearings actually get looser when they're at end of their life, due to increased clearances between the ball and the ball race. The big danger is the axial eccentricity of the spinning component, causing impact against the fixed housing and subsequent damage or destruction.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I never noticed any loss in power. towed a trailer fully loaded perfectly when on the noisy turbo
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal