i30 Owners Club

1.6 CRDi GD diesel engine won't start

WxmJax · 9 · 3487

Offline WxmJax

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North of Watford
Hi, the wife's car wouldn't start today. The engine's sort of trying to turn over, there's a clicking noise from the 3 blue (glow plugs I think) fuses and the belt has a stop/start movement. I waited until the coil light went off before turning the key and I've tried two different keys. Any help much appreciated.   

2012 1.6 CRDi  GD 109ps diesel blue drive.
  • 2013 GD 1.6 110ps man diesel estate.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Sounds like a low battery by your description.

BTW, there are 4 glow plugs. :)
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Sounds like a low battery by your description.

BTW, there are 4 glow plugs. :)

Yes Phil has it right.

Also BTW, Diesel motors pull more current from the battery than petrol motors do. Therefore must have a good battery.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
One more to the choir, I'd vote for the battery too.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline WxmJax

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North of Watford
Phil was indeed correct. Thank you. Slightly embarrassed that I didn't know it, lets blame the 12 hour shift I'd just finished  :whistler:

They weren't fuses I was on about, they were relays but I don't know why there are only 3. PTC1,2 and 3.

Right, next question is has anyone fitted a stop/start battery ?   Is it just a straight swap or does the new battery have to connect with the ecu or something ? I might start a new thread.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Right, next question is has anyone fitted a stop/start battery ?   Is it just a straight swap or does the new battery have to connect with the ecu or something ? I might start a new thread.

Best if you start new thread
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Jordie
All the ones ive done have been a straight battery swap. Check the battery ratings as most stop/start have different batteries to the non stop start versions.

Never done an hyundai one, done loads of other brands during my time in a workshop.

Offline WxmJax

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North of Watford
Had one fitted, first time that I've never done it myself but it was over 19 kilos in weight so I didn't fancy putting my back out. £132 fitted for yuasa yxb 9096.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Had one fitted, first time that I've never done it myself but it was over 19 kilos in weight so I didn't fancy putting my back out. £132 fitted for yuasa yxb 9096.

make sure the clamp secures the battery properly , (give it a hard push to test) it can do a lot of damage and even cause a fire if it gets dislodged.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal