i30 Owners Club

2011 i30 auto, petrol stalling

asmith740 · 17 · 10991

Offline asmith740

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, QLD
Hi Guys
We have recently had an issue with our i30 stalling when pulling up at a set of lights or when at low speeds in traffic. The car takes a bit to restart and when it does the ESC light on the dash is on, and the engine is running very rough with a knocking sound. The car needs to be turned off and restarted and will run fine (ESC light off no knocking sound). We have the car in next week for a recall on possible ESC fault and have also asked for a diagnostics to be carried out. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what the culprit or issue may have been, so I can give the mechanics a heads up. (I'm sure they know what they are doing  :p ) Cheers
  • 2011 i30 1.6ltr

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Hi asmith740, welcome on here!

Do you have access to an OBDII scanner by any chance? Even the cheap Bluetooth ones will help narrow down the cause. Has the fuel consumption changed at all since the stalling issues have started?

How many kilometers are on the car currently? This sounds quite a lot like my girlfriends' car (Kia Picanto) that had a faulty crank sensor that had similar symptoms. They could pick up the fault code via an OBD adapter (I think it was error P0335) and it was sorted after the sensor was replaced. Some pesky rats thought the cable was food and ate right through the one wire!
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline asmith740

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, QLD
Hi PhireSide. I do not have access to a scanner unfortunately. The car has 140,000 km on it. The fuel consumption I don't believe has changed, but not sure due to the wife driving this car all the time. I test drove it yesterday to confirm her car complaints and sure enough it stalled in traffic.
  • 2011 i30 1.6ltr

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Assuming your model doesn't have ISG, these are the possible sensors you could be looking at replacing:

Hopefully some of the more technical guys chime in here soon. Some of them may be able to point you towards a schematic for the part locations. At least then you can trace the wires to see if there isn't any breaks in the harnesses or something obvious.

It could be a myriad of issues unfortunately, but five minutes of your time to check a few wires might save you some hassle :goodjob2:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hmmm shame you don't have a $5 OBD2 reader - they can be quite useful at pinpointing faults (when the CEL is lit)

That said, this issue smells like it could be fuel filter related, or fuel pump related.

I'm sure when your car's in for the ESC fault check, they wouldn't mind hooking upto your OBD2 port and having a quick read.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
That said, this issue smells like it could be fuel filter related, or fuel pump related.

I was thinking along the same lines, add sticking injectors to the list...tell tail signs being the issue only happens at low rpm and engine light possibly gets set off by the knock sensor :undecided:

I'd run a bottle of fuel system/injector cleaner through it over the weekend and see if it helps, nothing to lose except $8 on a bottle of cleaner if it doesn't fix it.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 19:41:33 by CraigB »

Offline asmith740

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, QLD
Not sure. After stalling the car will crank for a while before starting, ESC light on dash stays on everything else is normal except for the engine running rough with a knocking sound. If you stop, turn the car off and restart, the car starts normal and drives normal.... until the next stall.... Hopefully something will show up on the expensive diagnostics on Monday.
  • 2011 i30 1.6ltr

Offline asmith740

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, QLD
Update. After recall fix car is still stalling. Workshop found no fault codes could not replicate stall on test drive (apparently), yet it happened on the way home. After further research on the trusted internet and a phone conversation with a mechanic friend, I have decided to replace the crank sensor. I will let you know how I go. Would anyone have a drawing of the position of the crank sensor before I go purchase a workshop manual? 2011 i30 1.6ltr petrol auto.
Cheers
  • 2011 i30 1.6ltr

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Bugger! That "no fault found" thing drives me batty! Hopefully someone can help with the location. Not sure how different the 1.6 and 2.0 petrol layouts are. Not many active 1.6 petrol i30 owners on here. THey only sold a limited number even though they were still a good little economical donk.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
I'll snap a pic later today when I'm home again :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'll snap a pic later today when I'm home again :goodjob2:

I was thinking of Australia. I forgot you had one Phil. Awesome.  :victory:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
39180-2B000

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
I had a quick squizz but I wasn't able to see the sensor from within the engine bay. It seems to sit below the little starter motor and I couldn't squeeze my hands in there to snap a pic

Offline yodm

• 3rd Gear

• il Israel
      Israel

• the older I get, the faster I was
probably the crank shaft position sensor.
same symptoms as I had, only when the sensor is getting worst, there is a fault code.
take a look here look here
you have to jack the car up to get to the sensor.
took me about 15 minutes from in to the garage to out of the garage.
  • I30 CW 2010 1.6 petrol auto

Offline asmith740

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, QLD
Hi Guys.

Replaced the sensor yesterday ($92 AUD) and drove the car all day with no issues. Hopefully problem solved. Had to jack the car up and get to it from underneath, easy job, just a bit of a fiddle to attach harness. Only a 15minute job. Thanks for your input.

Cheers
  • 2011 i30 1.6ltr

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Guys.

Replaced the sensor yesterday ($92 AUD) and drove the car all day with no issues. Hopefully problem solved. Had to jack the car up and get to it from underneath, easy job, just a bit of a fiddle to attach harness. Only a 15minute job. Thanks for your input.

Cheers

Awesome!  :fingers:

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Great stuff! :mrgreen:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal