i30 Owners Club

2017 PD i30 DCT Issue

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi again,

Well it happened again. Definitely a DCT issue. Stopped at the lights, went to take off the engine just revved and didn't move. Turned the car off and back on and it was fine.

Quite dangerous given my son was in the back seat and the person behind almost hit us!

Time to take this piece of crap to Hyundai to sort out!

Bummer,  luckily all ok.
I've said this before , whenever it plays up,  either leave it  where it is, or, park it up and get it towed by Hy Assist to your dealer.  A record of problem and frequency  will be created.
If anything does go wrong, it may help with insurance. 
Hope it's sorted soon.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi again,

Well it happened again. Definitely a DCT issue. Stopped at the lights, went to take off the engine just revved and didn't move. Turned the car off and back on and it was fine.

Quite dangerous given my son was in the back seat and the person behind almost hit us!

Time to take this piece of crap to Hyundai to sort out!

Bummer,  luckily all ok.
I've said this before , whenever it plays up,  either leave it  where it is, or, park it up and get it towed by Hy Assist to your dealer.  A record of problem and frequency  will be created.
If anything does go wrong, it may help with insurance. 
Hope it's sorted soon.

Wise words Mick.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Yes, noticed Mick's constant wisdom, its un-nerving.  :cool:

"However, there were early issues in the USA where it appears the Tuscon and Santa Fe were suddenly 'in Neutral'."
This seems to be the same , or similar, fault.

As Mick says, get it to Hyundai. You may be lucky enough to find the correct software upgrade. If not, when it happens again park it, as Mick has also said, and don't accept "technicians cant replicate the fault".
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria

"However, there were early issues in the USA where it appears the Tuscon and Santa Fe were suddenly 'in Neutral'."

As Mick says, get it to Hyundai. You may be lucky enough to find the correct software upgrade. If not, when it happens again park it, as Mick has also said, and don't accept "technicians cant replicate the fault".
Thanks for all the advise.

Sorry for my frustration in my previous post. Just very disappointed as this is a real safety concern.

Certainly will not be accepting that they can't replicate the fault.

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for all the advise.

Sorry for my frustration in my previous post. Just very disappointed as this is a real safety concern.

Certainly will not be accepting that they can't replicate the fault.

I can understand how you feel Dean. Just such a shame that the PD (and SR in particular) is getting these random QC issues.  :disapp:

Offline Odd351

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hey all :) new to the group . I own a 2017-18 Pd i30 sr premium with 7500klms on the clock .  and have had the same issue with the 7speed dct . I was at a T junction and went to take off and the box neutralized ( limp mode) has no acceleration what so ever but was not revving as if it was in neutral . Had a big ass hilux heading straight for us and almost got T boned . Had to release the accelerator pedal and punch it again to avoid a mijor accident with the kids in the car . Spoke to head office Hyundai and my local dealer and they think I’m losing the plot . There answer was if it doesn’t happen to them whilst driving there is no way of them diagnosing it . It was put on the scanner for its first service and diagnosis showed nothing .
In my opinion if this isn’t sorted I think I will take this further because I truly believe my children’s lives are in danger if this was to happen again whilst my wife and or myself was driving . Truly love the bloody car but this will end up being another takata air bag situation where people will be seriously hurt . Anyways thanks for letting me vent . Be well people .
  • I30 SR Premuim 1.6t 7 speed DCT

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I would speak to them again, record the conversation and at the end of said conversation ask them if these are the new higher standards of warranty care they gave assurances to the ACCC about.

If that does not get their attention, call the ACCC.

At the very least they should be trying to fault log the vehicle to identify the fault.

One things for sure, your not making it up.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome Odd351,

That's very worrying! Feel free to refer them to this thread and anything similar you can find on the web. Beerman is wise far above his user name. His suggestion is a good one. Contact Hyundai Australia as well and say exactly what you have said on here. They need to put themselves in your shoes.   :disapp:

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
We're still having the issue with ours and not much luck from Hyundai.

We'll be getting rid of our i30 before the warranty is up. Never want another DCT again. We should have bought the new 8spd 2.0 turbo Sonata with a standard torque converter auto.

Disappointed Hyundai couldn't get DCT right.

What does it say when Hyundai have not dropped the 1.6T with DCT from the Tucson in the states and replaced it with a 2.4 na and standard 6spd auto?

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Another thought...

When you were approaching the intersection were you slowing down, saw a gap in the traffic and jumped on it to go through?

I suspect if this is the case what has happened is you have confused the transmission. The Duel clutch always has 2 gears selected, the actual gear you are using, and the next gear the car believes you will need. For example slowing to a stop, it might be in second gear and have 1st selected ready to go next, as the car is slowing. By jumping on the power to go into that gap, the transmission is blindsided, and needs a second to reselect the new gear, ie drop first and go to third. Hence the delay.

I was able to replicate this in my car driving home. While slowing to a stop I jumped on the power and the car took a second to reselect the right gear. Much the same way as if you selected the wrong gear in a manual transmission, there would be a delay while you realised what you had done, and corrected the error.

Remember the DCT is much more like a computer controlled manual than a traditional automatic, hence it does not need a torque converter, is lighter, can handle more power and is more economical.

This nice fat guy explanes further...

:link: DCTs for Dummies. (How dual clutch transmissions really work.) - YouTube

Offline Newyi30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
I thankfully haven't had this happen, however the DCT is a jumpy thing isn't it!
Only problem is leading up to roundabouts that are extremely busy and you need to be quick off the block, I have 0 power unless i put it into sports mode and fly off the line.
True, it's different to an auto that i'm used to, but during the test drives i didn't notice this.

Kinda wishing i stuck with my older i30. Paying $120 a fortnight for this car with the warm start issue as well is starting to outway the fun.  :undecided:
  • 2017 i30 SR

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Can't say I have noticed it at round abouts. Though I tend to pick my gap in advance so I am moving foward not stopping if you know what I mean.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Can't say I have noticed it at round abouts. Though I tend to pick my gap in advance so I am moving foward not stopping if you know what I mean.

Yeah, me too mostly.  :goodjob:

Offline Pappy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Sydney
I find that too often the DCT upshifts when you lift off the accelerator and then when you need to get going it's in the wrong gear - a bit frustrating, this is the first "automated" car I've had and it's taking some time to get used to its idiosyncrasies.
  • MY18 PD SR Premium (Polar White)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
What mode are you in?

Offline Pappy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Sydney
What mode are you in?

Normal mode, I'm now using Sport mode which appears to be better.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I find it holds the gear unless your going downhill and touch the brakes. So I do that less now

Offline Pappy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Sydney
Hi All,

Just had the 10k service and raised the problems I'm having with the DCT (clicking noises while driving, revving & no acceleration, shuddering on 2nd gear engagement) - DCT checked out OK apparently.

The tech "carried out DCT relearn function" - this has dramatically changed the DCT's behaviour - seems smoother and working better - will need to monitor it for a longer period.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi All,

Just had the 10k service and raised the problems I'm having with the DCT (clicking noises while driving, revving & no acceleration, shuddering on 2nd gear engagement) - DCT checked out OK apparently.

The tech "carried out DCT relearn function" - this has dramatically changed the DCT's behaviour - seems smoother and working better - will need to monitor it for a longer period.

Thanks! That's really interesting. Hope it is fixed!  :fingers:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Yes agree thanks and good luck.  :winker:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal