i30 Owners Club

Heater doesn't work. Replace waterpump ?

Jarlef · 48 · 11480

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
in case we are missing the obvious, do you have climate control? Have you checked that air con is not in operation?

CHECK that compressor clutch is disengaged.

No, I have not checked. I don't think I understand what you're asking... How do I check that?

You just look at the front of compressor. The middle part does not move if ac is off.

But disregard.   :blubber: I just read that it is only the passenger who is cold???????  :faint:

Again, thanks! I've read through all and understood at least half of it.

There is however one thing I forgotten to mention, which may be important.
There hot air on the divers side (left), but not on the passenger side. Why ?

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Jarlef

• 2nd Gear

• no Norway
My plan now is to flush the heat core, using the two hoses going through the fire wall. I hope this would remove ensure good flow through the heat core, and that will fix the problem

Next step (which I hope to avoid) is to take a closer look at actuators and air-blenders. I might have done something wrong when I replace the heat actuator last year. I've notice that there a loose cable on the passenger side. Perhaps it should be connected somewhere or it could be a spare of some kind. I don't know.

Third step, I need to know why there blowing hot air on the drivers side only(?)

If all these steps fails, then I will concider replace water pump
  • Hyundai i30 1.6 Diesel

Offline Jarlef

• 2nd Gear

• no Norway

I not sure, but is that a leakage?
  • Hyundai i30 1.6 Diesel

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

I not sure, but is that a leakage?
Maybe, I can't tell with that image.

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Could be condensation, a leak? :undecided: Its under pressure.
There are no 'spare' things down there.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Jarlef

• 2nd Gear

• no Norway
I would like to know why the heater only blows hot air on the drivers side, while passenger side lack hot air.
I've been searching the internet about this problem and I found out it's not uncommon, yet I fail to find a good explanation.

I've study a technical drawing of the heater system and as far as I could understand, both sides should always have the same air-temperature when everything is working. Am I right?

I suspect the reason might be that the heat core is partially clogged. I don't know how the coolant flow through the heat core, but I know the inlet and the outlet are both on the drives side. Could it be that the coolant flow only goes through on half of the heater core. If so, it would be hot on one side and cold on the other. Which means the heater core is faulty, because it shouldn't be possible, as the coolant is forced to run through all canals inside the core. So if there's a short cut it may be the canal wall have rusty holes...

Please tell me what you think of this theory ?
  • Hyundai i30 1.6 Diesel

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If hot air is working on one side then it's not the core, if the core was blocked it wouldn't work at all.

I'd be inspecting correct function of the air direction flaps and their actuators.

I don't know why you started a new topic for this rather than continuing in your other topic where you're discussing the same problem :confused:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 17:37:50 by CraigB »

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: CraigB
I don't know why you started a new topic

Yep, good point.

Topics merged.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I would like to know why the heater only blows hot air on the drivers side, while passenger side lack hot air.
I've been searching the internet about this problem and I found out it's not uncommon, yet I fail to find a good explanation.

I've study a technical drawing of the heater system and as far as I could understand, both sides should always have the same air-temperature when everything is working. Am I right?

I suspect the reason might be that the heat core is partially clogged. I don't know how the coolant flow through the heat core, but I know the inlet and the outlet are both on the drives side. Could it be that the coolant flow only goes through on half of the heater core. If so, it would be hot on one side and cold on the other. Which means the heater core is faulty, because it shouldn't be possible, as the coolant is forced to run through all canals inside the core. So if there's a short cut it may be the canal wall have rusty holes...

Please tell me what you think of this theory ?
Air to the floor should be theorectically equal as it is a single flap that directs the air and it exits out of each of those side ducts that slip onto the body . Items numbered 97112E & 97282D in my original breakdown image.

The faulty heater core theory does not make sense to me, I would expect reduced heating capaciity and that reduction would exit both vents the same.

Shortcut theory, the heater core is just like a radiator, 2 tanks, a bunch of chanels for coolant to flow and fins in between for heat exchange. sure some could block which would indicate potentially poor coolant servicing and a likely radiator issue as well.

If the canal walls had rusty hole, you'd have wet feet, low coolant and over heating car or you'd be topping up all the time .

Here's what one looks like

Is the air flow on both sides the same? Which vents ? Floor / centre / side

Honestly never struck this scenario before, could something have entered the air box and obstruct one side? Rodents?

:crazy2:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
@Jarlef

As WE have been saying to you ...chasing blocked core and water pump fault is illogical (WRONG).  :crazy2:

A rat nest has been on my mind too, tw knows why  :-[

YOU said you found a spare cable when you were working on it previously.

I Repeat NOTHING IS SPARE>  :crazy1:

Go back over whatever you did previously. You made at mistake. Correct your mistake and you will have hot air.

Enigma returns to the asylum  :head_butt: :blubber: :blubber: :blubber:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
@Jarlef

Any update on your issue?

Has it been resolved?

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I have a colleague with same problem, i30 CRDi 2010.

Only hot air in the drivers side (left). If we set the system to only use the 4 vents in the middle of the dash (the 2 by the doors and the 2 by the radio) and all vents are open, then only hot air in the left side. If we close the 2 left vents, then there's hot air in the right side.

My suspicion is a partly clogged radiator but I can see there's different opinions about that theory...  :P

It's quite annoying with the limited ability to heat up the cabin here in the winter, but must be even worse for @Jarlef in Norway... :cold:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
to clarify that is the internal heater 'radiator'.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
to clarify that is the internal heater 'radiator'.
:goodjob2:

:D :D :D :D

Just avoiding the obvious (waterpump)  :wink:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

@Jarlef

Any update on your issue?

Has it been resolved?
@Jarlef

Ant outcome?

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Ant outcome?

Yes, its the wet weather, bastards all over kitchen bench.  :crazy1:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Ant outcome?

Yes, its the wet weather, bastards all over kitchen bench.  :crazy1:
Haaaaaaa

Any.............

Unread Posts