i30 Owners Club

Do I have the best fuel consumption for a petrol?

joshtammi · 26 · 10375

Offline joshtammi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Tamworth, NSW
My GD i30 1.8L is pretty darn good on fuel, recently I drove from Richmond NSW to Liverpool, to Richmond, then Richmond to Canberra, around canberra for 100km or so then back to sutton forrest before refuelling.

Total calculation was 667.5km trip and a 42L fill up - meaning I averaged 6.3L per 100km.

Then after the fill at Sutton I drove about 100km on the highway before turning off to head to Liverpool then Richmond again, the first 100km saw me drop from the 28L per 100 (cause of the first/second gear driving around the petrol station and sutton) to a mere 4.9L per 100km after 100km.

Pics to prove for those that don't believe me  :D

So what do you reckon 4.9L per 100km ain't bad for a highway run. After driving another 70km through western and southern sydney it is now chilling around 5.5L per 100km. Looks like i'm getting better than the stated figures :P
  • Subaru WRX, Hyundai i30 Elite

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Great news, Josh.  They seem like pretty impressive figures to me (and I'm a lowly diesel driver).

:goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Yes, a great result, tell us about your driving style & speeds to get those figures.  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Nice numbers for a petrol. Pays to be kind to you car. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Did you reset the average fuel trip to Zero when you filled up - or did you not do this and the 4.9 figure is after doing 767 km?
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline joshtammi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Tamworth, NSW
Did you reset the average fuel trip to Zero when you filled up - or did you not do this and the 4.9 figure is after doing 767 km?

Reset immediately after fill up, so the 100km should theoretically be enough for it to settle down, during the 667km trip I averaged 6.3 indicated on dash and tested.

it took about 15 minutes of driving to get to the 6's, then another 15 in the 5's. The final 30 minutes of driving hovered around the 4.9 to 5 per 100.

My driving is fairly standard, on the highway I do an indicated 118, which is probably close to 110 though I haven't actually tested how accurate my speedo is. anything above 80 and flat ground or a small incline ill be in 6th. 5th above 60 with flat road, inclines normally fine, but if it starts to bog ill drop down, or anticipate and speed up 5 k's or so.

Air conditioning is a big thing for me - In western sydney it gets hot, last week was all above 37 every day. however I rarely leave constant A/C on. on the highway I might do a few minutes on full cold, 10 minutes off, and the car stays relatively fine in that 10 minutes that I don't need it for that period. I turn off the A/C at traffic lights cause it places much less load on the take off.

it's important to remember as well that having the A/C on uses a near identical amount of fuel regardless of being on low fan or high fan, the energy saved by having low fan would probably be doubled by driving 1km/h slower lol. So to leave the A/C on as little as possible, full fan and as cold as possible.

I will always engine brake to a stop. i did this in my last subaru (Turbo as well) and got 220,000km out of a stock clutch so for anyone who says it puts extra wear on the clutch, yes it does but in my experience not enough to notice. in conjunction with this, i will try to avoid stopping at all, if the light turns red 1km away from me, off the throttle and roll all the way until it turns green, changing into correct gear at the last second. (i don't care much for the w***er driver behind me complaining, he isn't going to get through the red light faster anyways). If it turns red a few hundred metres away, ill do the same but brake as well.

I cruise control almost everywhere, anything above 60 I'm using it, some say its a bad driving habit, ahhwell... the less blipping of throttle the better.

Cheers

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Gee, I think some of the diesel owners will envy you those numbers.. :goodjob2:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline joshtammi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Tamworth, NSW
haha thanks!!

Will repost after this tank is gone and we shall see if that was just a bit of pot luck!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Don't forget to tell us after you've been gridlocked in Sydney  :lol: :goodjob2:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Great use of cruise and anticipation avoiding stop-go. Just my style. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I'm sure you know that the best way of checking your consumption is to brim the tank to the point of overflowing, note the odometer reading. Use the car until the fuel warning light comes on and repeat the refuelling procedure.

You can then establish exactly how many kilometres you travelled on the amount added to the tank.  The average fuel economy trip on my car is very inconsistent and only a crude guide.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

Me 2 :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Me 2 :goodjob2:

:MeToo: +1
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
Josh...Yes good consumption figures.  I don't think I could beat that in my FD 2 litre petrol, go close though, around 7lit/100km, country driving on 95RON. :whistler: On a full tank 55L get around 800 km, happy with that.

Albeit no fuel puter in my FD Trophy. :blubber: So Uncle Lester has to calculate. :( Using Alan's method above, brim and drive until fuel warning light comes on.

My wife's 2010 Nissan Micra ST-L has the 1.5 petrol motor, got the fuel puter, on a trip gets around 5.5L/100km, not bad. :goodjob:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 00:19:29 by Lester »
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline joshtammi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Tamworth, NSW
I'm sure you know that the best way of checking your consumption is to brim the tank to the point of overflowing, note the odometer reading. Use the car until the fuel warning light comes on and repeat the refuelling procedure.

You can then establish exactly how many kilometres you travelled on the amount added to the tank.  The average fuel economy trip on my car is very inconsistent and only a crude guide.

This is the method I used on the first tank. Which gave me a figure of 6.28 calculated and my dash said 6.3.

Offline KylieR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Bendigo, Victoria
    • MyWinterStorm83
Hmm. I can only manage about 500k before I have to fill up. Give or take 20ks or so. I think that's a good 100ks less than the book tells me, too.

Offline Geothe50

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sandringham, VIC

It is good to have a reference point for a long-distance extra urban trip, thanks. If you check on "Fuelly.com" what other i30 GD 1.8l petrol owners achieve in terms of fuel efficiency you will find figures of around 8.5l/100km on average.
I can only emphasise AlanHo's observation re trip meter inconsistency. My own records show differences between real world consumption and trip meter indications of 0.4 - 1.3 l/100km   :wink:
  • Subaru Forester, i30 Elite 1.8L Petrol Auto

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
But we rely on fuel bowsers being totally accurate.. :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

But we rely on fuel bowsers being totally accurate.. :undecided:

In the UK I would put money on them being as near spot on as makes no matter. The Trading Standards authority carry out regular unannounced spot sampling to check them.

By law the pumps are required to meet stringent requirements for accuracy to ensure that any errors in the amount of fuel dispensed are within certain tolerances. This means that a petrol pump can deliver up to 10ml extra per litre of fuel and is only allowed to deliver 5ml less per litre of fuel - and bear in mind that a teaspoon is approximately 5ml.

Any pump found to be outside of the tolerances is put out of use until the problem is corrected. All of the adjustable parts of a pump are also sealed to prevent them being tampered with to protect customers and honest traders.

Offline kyle0968

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

It is good to have a reference point for a long-distance extra urban trip, thanks. If you check on "Fuelly.com" what other i30 GD 1.8l petrol owners achieve in terms of fuel efficiency you will find figures of around 8.5l/100km on average.
I can only emphasise AlanHo's observation re trip meter inconsistency. My own records show differences between real world consumption and trip meter indications of 0.4 - 1.3 l/100km   :wink:

my Dash and my actual records at fuelly have a difference of 0.4li/100km.  with the actual consumption being the higher value.  This is over a collective mileage of 10,000Kms   
  • GD i30 active petrol

Offline joshtammi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Tamworth, NSW
Alrighty guys, another tank down.

I did 650.7km, and filled up a total of 40.85L

This gives a calculated figure of 6.28L/100km

My indicated on the dash was 6.2 total, so I think 0.1L accuracy is not bad in my opinion.

THis included 2 trips from Richmond to Sydney CDB (120km return and no toll roads) as well as trips to Parramatta, Strathfield and Blacktown. and 250km of highway driving at 110. so the split was roughly 50-50 highway/urban. Not bad in my opinion. Still below the Combined average of 6.8L for the manual. This driving also included a bit more A/C cause the missus was in the car driving around sydney.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
This driving also included a bit more A/C cause the missus was in the car driving around sydney.

:goodjob2: :goodjob: and say hi to Tammi for us!  :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Geothe50

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sandringham, VIC
Alrighty guys, another tank down.

I did 650.7km, and filled up a total of 40.85L

This gives a calculated figure of 6.28L/100km

My indicated on the dash was 6.2 total, so I think 0.1L accuracy is not bad in my opinion.

THis included 2 trips from Richmond to Sydney CDB (120km return and no toll roads) as well as trips to Parramatta, Strathfield and Blacktown. and 250km of highway driving at 110. so the split was roughly 50-50 highway/urban. Not bad in my opinion. Still below the Combined average of 6.8L for the manual. This driving also included a bit more A/C cause the missus was in the car driving around sydney.

Hi JT, you must have received a "gold standard" i30 - where motor, drive train AND electronics are perfectly in tune. Enjoy your super hatch  :D
  • Subaru Forester, i30 Elite 1.8L Petrol Auto

Offline joshtammi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Tamworth, NSW
Haha well... quite possibly... just got 12 month service done the other day, smooth as anything.

Don't live in Sydney anymore, moved to Tamworth.

Economy is fairly the same, sitting on 6.1L on the current tank mostly short 5 to 10km trips.

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
That is excellent economy that I can only dream of!

I am sitting on around 7.7l per 100km with my current tankful and I usually get around 600 on a tank before the reserve light comes on, and I try and fill up by 640km. My Fuelly badge isn't up to date as I am two fuel-ups behind, but still, well done on your economy!  :happydance:
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal