i30 Owners Club

2.0ltr Manual. I am seeing 8.9ltr/100kms avg

Jingle · 7 · 2582

Offline Jingle

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
I have just purchased an i30 SR.  (2.0ltr Manual).  I am seeing 8.9ltr/100kms avg.   Interestingly, my work car which is an i40, same engine heavier car and an Auto to boot gets 7.7ltr/100kms avg.  I even put my foot down more in the i40 compensating for the auto.

Something doesn't seem right.
  • 2013 i30 SR MY14 (Phantom Black)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome:  Jingle ...  :crazy2: Don't have an easy explanation for that! What are the official ADR figures for the SR manual I wonder?

EDIT: 5.8 Highway ,  9.8 Urban , 7.3 Combined (so if doing a lot of town driving, makes it pretty thirsty!  :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Jingle

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Thank you for the welcome.

I have done about 70% highway so far, longer trips (2hrs, no traffic).  I've done about 1,200kms.  Total km's travelled approx 15,000.

Apart from comparison with the i40 I'm concerned that I appear to have got better mileage from the 16yr old 2.0ltr Impreza I replaced.

I wonder where Hyundai stand, or any manufacturer for that matter, if they publish figures and then you never get anywhere near them !
  • 2013 i30 SR MY14 (Phantom Black)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hyundai lost a landmark case in the USA on the elantra for that very thing but haven't heard of one in Australia :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I believe the poorer fuel consumption may be due to Hyundai trying to reduce emissions with the latest petrol engines.
This has apparently resulted in less power, less torque and slightly worse fuel economy...  :undecided:

Offline omegaspeedy

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Pukekohe
That seems a bit high! My 2.0l is getting 6.5L/100 high way and 7.7L mixed (I have a heavy foot). Mine is Auto too.

Beware that the way the trip computer works is to take an average since last reset, so if the car was run hard early after the reset, then you've done a short highway drive, it'll still show very high. Try resetting it just before you do a highway run and take note of it's reading, then leave it for 2-3 weeks of your normal driving habits and see what it settles at. Short drives won't give you a true average.

How many K's have you done on it?
  • 2016 i30 Elite Limited 2.0L Auto Phantom Black Pearl

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Omegaspeedy has a good point, the longer you leave the trip computer set without re setting the more accurate the over all consumption numbers are. like if you re set the computer each fill up your numbers will be high at first then settle down but after say 5,000k without re setting you get a more accurate reading of all over average.
but very few Sydney drivers i see would be getting good economy the way they drive  :)
my father had a late model Elantra 1.8 auto never turned off trip pc all the driving was in city short trips trip pc showed 10.9L/100K then he bought a new i30 1.8 auto 2015 about a month back it's showing up in 9's so far but still very new. i sold the Elantra for him & drove it 350K to deliver it was showing 6.5L/100K but i had re set trip pc when i left. but driving the same in my i30 CRDi 6 speed man FD i always got 4.5L/100k on that trip driving same sitting on speed limit 110kph /100kph. lot of hill's twistys. but the new GD i30 1.8 auto a nice car to drive ( just i prefer manual myself ) the CRDi holds its speed strong up hill's , were the petrol needs a lower gear.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal