i30 Owners Club

Fitted Bilstein B6 shocks to FD wagon

Offline mrexcitement

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I have just fitted Bilstein B6 shocks to my i30cw FD.

I had already upgraded to Eibach lowered springs.

It turned out to be a major hassle as when they turned up and i went to fit the front struts my springs didn't fit (diameter was to big) , the rear shocks fitted perfect.

I thought i must have ordered the wrong shocks , but after much research and using google translate for Russian i30 forums, i discovered the Czech built Europe only version has different suspension setup to all the other i30's.

The bottom spring perch that is part of the strut is smaller , the spring is a smaller diameter , the top spring pad and spring top are smaller.

Part Numbers for the Bilstein B6 Shocks I30cw FD are:

Front Left :35-193654 x 1

Front Right :35-193661 x 1

Rear :24-193672 x 2

The required new parts to suit the Bilstein B6 Struts are:

546222R000  SEAT ASSY-FR SPRING Hyundai

546342R000  PAD-FR SPRING UPR Hyundai

546330Z000  PAD-FR SPRING LWR Hyundai

F11-42-024-01-VA  Eibach Springs 30mm lower

I found the Eibach springs on ebay and the supplier was in Germany.

I found 546342R000 and 546330Z000 at a website called Partsouq , i have used them a few times for original parts for the I30 , they have good prices and fast shipping but they didn't have 546222R000.

Then the adventure began to try to find part 546222R000 , all my searches seem to come up with mostly Russian suppliers who wouldn't ship out of Europe.

I eventually found Partacus.de in Germany that do world wide shipping but wanted a ridiculous amount for the shipping outside Europe.

So i decided to see if i could find a freight forwarder in Germany as i have already used a freight forwarder in the USA for parts for my dirt bike and it works very well.

I found a freight forwarder called Mailboxde.com , they were a little more expensive than the USA one but still much cheaper to have the part shipped to them then forwarded to me.

So the last part turned up yesterday and i fitted them last night , initial impressions are i am very impressed. :D

After lowering with the Eibach springs it was good on smaller lumps and bumps but big potholes or undulations would make it bottom out quite severly in the front.

Now with the Bilstein B6 shocks it's a huge difference , first speed hump i went over i could feel the difference straight away .

Obviously i haven't much time on them but already it's a huge improvement , i have comfort again especially with big hits where it would feel/sound horrible now it's just smooth and quiet.

It sits slightly higher than it did before but i expected this as they are gas shocks and they tend to do that but i think it will settle hopefully to where it was or very close.

So hopefully this will save someone the hassle i wen't through as at one stage i thought i wasn't going to be able to use the front Bilstein B6 struts.

I'll do a follow up report after i have some time on them.

• 2010 FD WAGON ,DIESEL 1.6, AUTO, SKY BLUE

Offline mrexcitement

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Just an update , the Bilsteins B6 are awesome , can't recommend them enough.

The only downside is it sits a little higher than it did before.

The ride quality is only slightly firmer but the control is now leaps and bounds better.

I have had a good amount of time on them now and have driven many different situations.

They make the car feel very planted regardless of the road conditions , very confidence inspiring.

The faster the corner the better the performance , potholes and undulations mid corner don't even phase them , no skipping or jumping just very planted to the road.

I can now fly over speed humps with out a worry as nothing i have driven over has even phased the shocks , if anything the faster i go the better it is.

I am yet to bottom them out (i may have , just never felt it).

I am running Michelin PRIMACY 3 ST and they are the best non sports performance tyre i have ever used , as good as soft rubber i used to run years ago but these last very well in comparison and almost the same amount of grip.

I use the car for business as well so i clock up a lot of km's a year and didn't want go to soft sticky performance tyres as they don't last.

Very happy with the end result , well worth the hassle.  :D :D :D

David

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :brilliant:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
How do the shocks alter the ride height? springs do this and not shockies unless the wrong shocks have been installed and when compressed they are still to long and the car is supported by the shockies, something doesn't sound right there.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
How do the shocks alter the ride height? springs do this and not shockies unless the wrong shocks have been installed and when compressed they are still to long and the car is supported by the shockies, something doesn't sound right there.
I always found when I fitted gas shocks/ struts to my rally cars it marginally raised the ride height.
I understand what you say Craig, but my observations bear out what the OP is saying.
In addition, whenever we fitted gas shocks/ struts to customer cars in my working years, an alignment was necessary firstly to ensure everything was as it should be and secondly, because the height altered slightly in most cases.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I could see how height could be different with struts as the spring support plate could be different but I wouldn't have though monotube shocks would change anything.

As weird as I think it is! you've professed in this area more than I have Trevor so I'll accept your word as god :)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I could see how height could be different with struts as the spring support plate could be different but I wouldn't have though monotube shocks would change anything.

As weird as I think it is! you've professed in this area more than I have Trevor so I'll accept your word as god :)
I don't have an answer for it either, Craig. Just observations. And I never thought to investigate it further. In support of your comments, my advice to people who wanted to alter their vehicle's height was to do it with the springs BUT to then consider that by doing so they'd possibly (probably) then be altering the "at rest" position of their shocks and possible putting them in a position where they'd reach the top of their travel or bottom out, both of which could have disastrous consequences on the valving and the mounts. Hence, if fitting new springs, also fit "tuned" shocks at the same time.
Oh. And on the strut thing, I'm talking strut inserts so the support plate is unchanged.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline mrexcitement

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hey  guys,

It's standard for gas shocks to raise the vehicle slightly as there is return pressure from the gas that pushes back.

Standard non gas shocks don't have this return pressure.

Eg if you push down on the standard shocks they barely return and not much pressure to compress them , the Bilsteins are a lot harder to compress and return with pressure.

Every car i have fitted gas shocks to that didn't have them standard has ended up sitting a little higher.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
That makes sense.
Whenever Uncle Bill has gas he always tends to sit up a little higher, I've noticed.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
That makes sense.
Whenever Uncle Bill has gas he always tends to sit up a little higher, I've noticed.

After a sufficent amount of days has been to let this 'pass'....   :rolleyes:
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal